I've sold a few expensive cameras through my camera websites already. I recall my biggest sale being about 1,500 (must have been a nice camera).

This morning I found a search term through overture that gets 8,000 per month there and 30,000 at google. The term is for an item that sells for 2,000 dollars. There are no bids at overture for the terms so I'll just use an inktomi listing to hopefully grab top spot or close to it.

Question is, do items in this price range commonly sell or do people just look and drool over them.

It's not a camera item btw completely different. The commission is 15% so it would kick @ss for the pocket book if all goes well.

Is anyone willing to share their results with big ticket items?

I sell a number of big ticket items around that price and higher, you do get a lot of tyre kickers, but you also get the genuine buyers.
    I'd go for it Heyder, it's only hosting, domain and some brainworkz and if you only sell 10 a month, it all helps to fill the coffers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thats a nice well, planned strategy there - though I wouldn't necessarily trust overture's numbers.

I never had a sale larger than about $500 that wasn't reversed, but I would certainly buy more expensive things than that over the web. If anyone ever delivered them to the UK. I'd buy through my own link of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But I'd go ahead with the page. If, after almost a year you didn't get a sale you could swap it out for a profitable one and get your $25 back quite easily. But by the time the page hits Google its in for free anyway.

I think, in time, people will get more confident about buying expensive things over the net. Already I see much of the hysteria about having your credit card number pinched is dying down. Its familiarity - it breeds confidence.

Although I haven't gone over $500, two of three times a month I'm getting over $400 for a sale - and I don't think I'm selling more expensive items per se - people just buy more at once. So I get the feeling confidence is building.

The reason I'd be willing to buy things costing more than that is I'm a webmaster and haven't any fear of online purchases. I can always tell the credit card company to cancel the payment if I'm not happy. Sooner or later this attitude will become widespread.

I

Ice,

This month I'm trusting overtures numbers only because last month was screwed up. I had found a term that said 34k and optimized for it got no 1 spot both there and aol and managed 5 hits a day :mad: I was very upset. LOL

Today I read the numbers for that term and they have droped to the realistic.

If one number is right then I'd assume this other one would be close at least but yes, I don't ever fully trust overture.

I had done some cross checking this time and it sounds reasonable. Also combined with the fact that there are other suggested terms for this one vs. the last term I went for being none. (should have been a clue)

I get conversions on a lot of big ticket items. I've continually been surprised at the size of some of the transactions. Sure you get reversals, but I would say that around 75% stick. Go for it.

BTW, how did you determine the search volume on Google?

Heyder,

Go for it...but if you have a pre-sell page, look for offline publications that cater to that product and run a simple classified ad in say 3 of them.

In one say:

Looking For A Great Deal On A Product Name.
    Check Our Website And Save. (your URL)

In one say:

Free Details On How To Buy A (Product Name) For Less. Check Our Website: (your URL)

In one say:

Attention (Photographers or whatever): Learn How To Buy A )Product Name At Big Savings. Check our website [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]your URL)

These ads are all 15 or so words which is the minimum most publications require.

Make 3 identical pages so you have a separate URL for each and tract the responses and sales. Also put a name and email capture on each page so you can ask visitors to leave it, if they would like further onfo on the product.

See what ad gets the most hits and most sales. Then run that ad again in all 3 publications. Buying big ticket items usually takes 6 to 10 impressions to get some action.

If you get any names and email addresses - send them an email about the product every 21 days. The might not have the budget approved or be looking to buy. If you can get these names you can probably snag a sale or two or so down the road.

At $300 juice it's worth doing. However, i wouldn't spend more than say $100 total to place the ads.

Alsom you can go to websitings and post some free classifieds for the thing or place an ezine ad in a category specific ezine if they have any.

BendOver is TOO slow a return. If you get 5 hits per day - that's only 150 per month. You would be lucky to make 1 sale at that number.

Advertising, even if it's FREE, is worthless if you do not make some sales.

go60guy,

quote:
    BTW, how did you determine the search volume on Google?

There are a number of ways to find this out. One method you can use is a subscription to wordtracker.com. There are other ways as too.

Fred,

I think the idea of collecting emails for this item is a sound idea. Especially for those who are looking now to buy much later or price comparing. I could if a sale was to happen respark their interest down the road.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I got a sale yesterday for 3578.95 from eCost.com on the CJ report. The 1% sucks but the odds of not having it reversed are very high. This increases the risk of showcasing expensive items and promoting traffic to them. Trusted Merchant selection is very important here as well as not attracting the stolen credit card scammers. I had one LS (went bellyup) merchant who showcased used exotic sportscars like custom made Porches and Ferraris. I setup special pages with photos and prices ( finance options) on 4 great looking deals. One Ferarri was 38,900 at a 5% commission and sent them 1600+ hits. Test purchases were out of the question but some side phone calles revealed they had sold all their listings througgh affiliate traffic and never reported a sale to Linkshare.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread