discovered this forum today and i'm hoping to get some ideas/advice. i am about to develop a site at url "PREOWNEDCARS.COM," and hope to exploit the intuitive hits we get (even though nothing's there yet) and maximize potential income using some type of affiliate model. i am so new to this stuff, however, i'm not sure how best to proceed. one thought was to simply solicit elite dealerships and manufacturers to position advertising and thereby profit from sales generated from our site. we will market and promote as best we can but funds are too limited to create a "USEDCARS.COM"-type project. any info anyone can pass along will be appreciated. i only ask please don't use abbreviations and jargon; at this point they're lost on my. thanks.

Are you signed up with cj.com ? If not, go there, sign up, then click 'get links'. Theres an automotive section with lots of merchants to choose from. Some might be suitable.

A long time ago someone advised me to go for a percentage of sales rather than getting money for 'leads', or getting money for showing banners and adverts. This has worked out very well.

I don't do much business for cars though. Only recently did I take an interest.

Good luck. Everyone here should be able to advise you on things from domain names to hosting and choosing merchants to getting found by search engines.

Don't spend a lot of time or any money promoting a merchant unless they've proved they pay up. We know which advertisers these are so you can save a lot of time by just asking.

I

Icicle, thank you enormously

Here's an idea

Go local and partner up!

First go down to your local television station and get some advertising rates for a yearly contract.

Then get meetings set up with all your local car dealerships and tell them that you are going to be opening up a local used cars website with a huge television advertising campaign and offer them the opportunity to be a part of it all.

Give them full advertising rights for x amount of dollars. * Hint * the price is dependant on the television advertisement costs divided by the number of car dealers you will have. Only have them pay for the shared costs of the television marketing campaign, nothing else. They will do it because the costs will be less than they already pay for their own tv spots because it will be a shared cost. You can let them know this upfront. I think they would value the idea anyways.

Then get some regular television spots and offer paid classifieds listings to local individuals. For ten dollars give them full page listing until their car sells.

With this plan the dealers would be paying for the promotion of the site while your own profits will come from the local individuals who want to sell their cars.

fascinating idea, thanks

PS to Heyder,

what do you mean by giving dealers "full ad rights?"

TYRO,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

quote:
    but funds are too limited to create a "USEDCARS.COM"-type project

Why not? All that can all be done with free scripts on your host and some time coding, articles you can find everywhere, you need to create a sound reason and VALUE to your users to keep coming back, with some of the bells and whistles out there your a sticky site and can build loyalty so that they return time and time again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you need specific sources Private Message me or email me.

Haiko
    PS. Look at the JC Whitney forum and Join them, call Rick and ask for help, he is here to help you make money.

TYRO

What I meant was the dealers should have their own private accounts or sections of the site where they are free to list their own cars. They should be allowed to list as many as they want to within reason but be very liberal as they will be paying for all the advertising.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread