PCI compliance
    My friend just recently open an online shop, she have heard about PCI compliance. PCI is designed to help fight fraud by protecting customers’ account information. Can anyone please give me more information regarding PCI? If she uses a third-party vendor for her sales platform, does it include PCI coverage? Suggestions for merchant services will be greatly appreciated.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's an older thread on the subject: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...&highlight=pci

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Here's an older thread on the subject: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...&highlight=pci
    Thanks for the assistance, I was also looking into this since a colleague's online banking account has been hacked and he lost quite a few. He is not sure either if his details came from an online shop since he purchased some books about 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for your replies. I did a quick google and search and got this company. They have security and fraud protection but I can't find anything about PCI compliance.

I just hope that this will be required for the online companies to have. Just to protect their customers and their business too.

Here's a few resources
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleen Robertson View Post
    My friend just recently open an online shop, she have heard about PCI compliance. PCI is designed to help fight fraud by protecting customers’ account information. Can anyone please give me more information regarding PCI? If she uses a third-party vendor for her sales platform, does it include PCI coverage? Suggestions for merchant services will be greatly appreciated.
    Let me give this a shot!

PCI compliance is designed to protect consumers from losing sensitive data. The level is dependent upon the type/size of your organization and whole bunch of interesting factors.... I like PCI because it's preventative measures.... Definitely a hassle for some businesses getting started, however, we are in a day and age today where online fraud is pending a tangible sky rocket....

In regards to the US EMV migration that began in October, well, CNP fraud is on the verge of an exponential increase. Over the 5 year period post EMV migration in Canada, CNP fraud jumped nearly 180% - A fraction of the commerce America processes... With this in mind, I think PCI compliance gains importance. It's a program that suggests segregating networks for security, using password protection that works, anti virus software etc. At the end of the day it's a little hassle for what should be common security practices but are not.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of shady processors out there. Make sure to actually read reviews and double check that a third-party payment gateway is actually PCI compliant as their website or sales staff suggests.

I'm curious to hear other opinions on PCI compliance and experiences.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread