Second time a merchant has written off of network to "discuss" a private deal. First one was a total laugh, and I offended the poor fellow with my roar.

This second one smells of fish, since I had just pulled the links two days before after 1,500 clicks leading to no sales. The traffic is indeed very looky-loo oriented, but before those last 1,500 clicks we'd usually had a sale every 300-500 clicks. For free traffic and no maintenance, I left it.

Well, this second merchant is not at cj (ahem, I really do keep trying, but I can't seem to manage to find good LS merchants), and I had made a spread sheet of the merchants in that category I was considering. When I signed up with them they had a 15% commish, $25 minimum payout, and they cut their own check (I know, it should have sent warning bells, but..). Then they lowered commish to 12% and raised payout to $50. Now payout is at $100. They actually owe us a check by now anyway.

So they came around with a letter yesterday asking about a more in depth business relationship (gee, where did all those free clicks go?). I asked for details and they offered a 14% commish! It was obvious from the letter that he thinks my site gets all these visitors and they are magnetically drawn to the one page on which I feature their items (now featuring a cj merchant). So he also offered to work with me on determining what products would fit my visitors budget,blah, blah, blah.

He doesn't realize that noone sees my index page on that site except google and myself. Noone who comes in from google is surfing around the site looking for something else.

On the one hand, if he was offering a serious raise I might consider putting more effort into it (like a whole site since we own at least one domain name that would be perfect). OTOH, I want to see our first check, and I want to see how the cj merchant does. And there's this odd smell of fish (no offense, fish! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

So has anyone ever been approached off of network for a private deal that actually ended up being a Good Thing?

I was head-hunted by allposters.com and I took up the invite - happily [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I joined a merchant's direct program a week ago after they mail'd me - I put the links up and the sales are coming in, working well.

quote:
    I was head-hunted by allposters.com

allposters.com have asked me twice and they even recommended a few highly targeted posters in their correspondence. Maybe I should give em a look.

quote:
    Originally posted by Rik:

allposters.com have asked me twice and they even recommended a few highly targeted posters in their correspondence. Maybe I should give em a look.

Rik,

I've been an affiliate of AllPosters.com for 1-1/2+ years now.

Have a look at my free allposters.pl script that creates poster pages. You can select from the major poster categories (e.g.: Movies, Music, Sports, etc.) or you can even select all the categories (50,000+ posters) to create an entire poster store. The script supports templates so you can match the look and feel of the rest of your website.

I offer the script free to anyone who signs up as a sub-affiliate under my AllPosters.com acount.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Affiliate scripts | Want a link from one of my websites?

Yeah, but allposters has their own program (which I highly recommend, and I recommend using David's scripts).

I'm asking about a merchant who normally works via a network like cj or LS and approaches you off network. Is it just my great luck to have had two less than ideal merchants approach us about private deals?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All those that contacted me over the last 3 years were cases like your. Just hoping they could migrate active affiliates ( not paid up to date of course) to another cheaper network or inhouse program.

Maybe I'm snake bit but since 1997 I've never received one check from any merchant running an independent program. I have tried several and some are even still floating amongst pages on 5 sites. Hell I won't even check the stats until I get my first check from any of them.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Hey Mike,

When i approach you to migrate to my in-house program will you accept ?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If a merchant approaches you and they don't have the generic zeus letter with it, they have a reason to feel that your site(s) will make them $$,. If they do approach you, I'd recommend seeing what they advertise paying out and negotiate from there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Andy - dahlink - you have seen the light.

About time you dumped BeScrewed. You will probably double your sales for sure.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Andy ..only if you'll bust that 4 year curse on independent programs. Think about the linking creative options to parallel what you/we already have that get good conversions. Also test and launch that private invitation only e-mail campaign that allows us to manage our own double opt-in list and send TigerDirect ID# coded e-mails flyers to our best repeat customers.

Address the stock out issue you resolved with the BeFree individual product links since you guys churn SKU #s.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <<< Andy has been busy playing with Lyris and will be coming out with personalized, dynamically created, full page creatives very soon >>>

Don't tell no one....!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Post personalized HYML code once and we take it from there... Details following soon....shhhhhh

ABW Ambassador
    >>So has anyone ever been approached off of network for a private deal that actually ended up being a Good Thing?<<

Well, I just got approached by a totally legit merchant that I have been promoting for several months (I've had sales and they have paid me). They asked if I'd be willing to up their exposure if they upped the commission from 5% to 8%.

Well heck, I said "sure". I can't imagine this NOT being a Good Thing. They already convert for me at 1:109 and the average sale is $100+. I'll give them more exposure.

Don't see how this can go wrong. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I've noticed an increase in independent merchants headhunting affiliates.
    Everyday there is at least one merchant proposal in my mailbox.

Before the fall I joined one after sending a heap of traffic to a cj merchant will little results.

So far one link has resulted in the average of 2 sales a day, whereas the "other" merchant I'd be lucky to get 2 a month!

The second merchant didn't seem to be talking about going in-house (which I am not convinced is a Bad Thing), rather upping my commish from 10% to 12% (the original commish I signed up for was 14%) via the network (LS).

Okay, I do hope to hear from some of my legit merchants when I've proven myself more.

Got a nice note today from a merchant noting a drop in sales and they had checked my pages and due to my deep linking and their restructuring of their site my links were leading to a 404! I've had nice sales with them, so of course I immediately got the links updated.

ABW Ambassador
    BluesX,

You've got a point, but the bad news (from your perspective) is that Google can and does follow re-directed links and they do count towards link pop. for that domain. I can name at least three networks whose redirected links Googlebot follows.

They (Google) keep changing how they approach this type of link, but I expect they will stick with how they are doing it now for the moment - so if you use, for example, DMG2(UK Affiliates) merchants, then they are getting a link popularity boost as a consequence of your links.

ABW Ambassador
    Re-directed or not, two of my top individual affiliates are in-house programs. I really don't give a rip if I improve their link popularity if their product sells and they send me money. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    What Cedric said!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread