OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Ad-Blocking and Affiliate Marketing
    It may have some effect but I havenít seen anything written specifically on affiliate marketing. Traditionally text links have brought 80% of the sales in any given affiliate program. Banner impressions have been attributed to branding and some affiliate networks exclude them in their reporting.

Mobile is something I put a lot of credibility in and Internet Retailer reported it at 30% of sales currently. I have seen sales jump in an affiliate program when the merchant did some optimization around mobile.

What do members here think about Ad-Blocking and Affiliate Marketing??

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Some members from my private forum tested some ad blockers about a year ago. Can't recall which ad blocker it was, but it blocked the visitor from going to a merchant's site from an affiliate LINK. The ad blocker was reading keywords/triggers in the links - even jump links/redirects couldn't bypass the ad blocker. We did discover that this ad blocker was a user add-on to their desktop browsers and not something that came with the browser. Also, can't remember if we tested it on any mobile devices/browsers.

I do think, at this time, that it's minimal as far as having a broad impact. Regular folks I have spoken with are lucky enough to be able to get online, much less change a browser's settings. Personally, have to remember that since we make our living online, we may have more knowledge about browsers, links, etc than the average online user and are often hyper-sensitive about anything that could potentially impact our livelihoods...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Skift just shared this article about Ad Blockers

Ad Blockers Could be Travel Media's Next Crisis
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

5. Thanks From:

There are at least two different styles of "ad blockers", that I am aware of:

1) Those that block banners and contextual PPC ads (ala Adsense/Adwords, and
    2) Those, like I mentioned above, that block the visitor from going to a site.

Both work pretty much the same - by scanning a page for keywords/triggers in the URLs. The Skift article seems to be directed more towards #1 - which is the more common type of ad blocker (IMhO).

What I'd like to do, if I can find some spare time to do so, is to see what data these ad blockers are gathering themselves. A lot of mobile apps do an awful lot of data mining - which can be worse than seeing any ads...

Pat Grady posted this on his Google+ yesterday: Ad Blocker Usage Highest Among Key Advertiser Demos: Millennials And High Earners

Mobile Ad Blocking Expected To Rise — Already High In Asia
    The July data used in the study shows that in the US, UK and The Netherlands, 0.1 percent of mobile pageviews are affected by ad blockers. That compares to the significantly higher rates of 7.9 percent and 9.0 percent, respectively, in China and India, where browsers such as UCBrowser and Maxthon that support mobile ad blocking have received substantial adoption.
    Until the ad blockers are native to the browser this is a relatively small issue and we'll have to see what impact it has in the future.

I use Ad Blockers all the time and love them, they have no effect at all on all of my affiliate sites since I do not uses banner Ads, Discount links or AdSense. They do have an effect on one of my Non Affiliate site where I have AdSense but that not a concern.

If I used Banners & AdSense I would be more concerned since Apple will allow Ad Blockers with their new operation system that is currently being rolled out and the new browser with Windows 10 will also be allowing Ad Blockers to be used soon as well.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Here's an interesting take from Ad Age....

Ad Age Imagines a World Without Ads, and It's Not Cheap!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks Jeannine, after reading makes me wonder if advertising supported sites would block themselves from ad-blocking browsers completely. I like the BBC analogy and hear that they may lose more funding in the UK.

I couldn't finish it - damn tome. Prattling on about NO advertising for IHOP, etc. Guess somewhere there was something about INTERNET advertising, but I'll have to wait for the Cliff Notes version...

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    There will I am sure be opportunities to buy your way through the ad blocking offered by the ad blocker coders.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    There will I am sure be opportunities to buy your way through the ad blocking offered by the ad blocker coders.
    True.

However, since the Google, Microsoft, and probably others have developed their own "profile" of their users they will, if not already, be using those profiles to serve up ads that do not trigger ad block software. Think about it, if the likes of Apple offer ad blocking features in their browsers, certainly they will capitalize on that - they're not doing it because they are "the good guys".

The interweb, and the rest of the world, revolves around buying and selling...

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread