Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Is Your New Website Layout Killing Your Engagement?
    Bryan Eisenberg shared this article by Roger Dooley

Is Your New Website Layout Killing Your Engagement?

So many people have redesigned their sites to be trendy and fashionable, but bottom line - is it helping or hurting your conversions? I asked Tim Ash about this trend at the last Summit, and he honestly doesn't like the new horizontal-oriented designs because they kill conversions.

What's your experience with this been?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

ABW Ambassador
    I myself don't like the new trend of horizontal-oriented design sites. Most of them are designed with giant flashy banners/pictures and social media buttons which take over half of the screen. Too much "call to action" but very less actual content. If those are up-to-date designs, I'd rather let my sites stay out-of-date but fill with content and information.

One of my main merchants did a major site "update" to a flashy trendy look a few months back and my sales to that specific merchant drop drastically. My traffic level is still remaining the same to their site but somehow the conversion level just not there anymore as compared to prior their site updates. I expect to see their sales suffer as well and put their good old site back. We'll see.

Once again: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've seen this over and over and couldn't agree more that form over substance is the rule - make it look good no matter the cost.

I've been working now about 4 months totally re-designing, re-doing, totally updating my oldest (14 years old this month) site, and while I'm making it look really nice (I hope) I have NOT given in to trends that take away from usability, such as eliminating easy-to-find navigation for all site pages that you WANT visitors to find. I think navigation (or lack of it) is a big part of the problem described. Most "mod" sites have eliminated a sidebar, but where better to have navigation? AND I'm keeping pages VERTICAL, even more so than was the case in this particular 2001 design.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I think navigation (or lack of it) is a big part of the problem described. Most "mod" sites have eliminated a sidebar, but where better to have navigation?
    That's exactly what I think most of the "modern" looking sites are lack of. What happened to the good old sidebars with all the navigation links of categories and sub-categories? If I'm a buyer, I want to get as much information as possible when I first land on the merchant's homepage, not looking at a huge auto rotating banner of a pretty girl's face or a dancing monkey. I don't care to "Follow" or "Tweet" or "Pin" or to "Sign Up" before I find what I'm looking for. I want to get to the products I'm looking for first. Not have to look around and scroll up and down only to be distracted by your giant flash banners telling me you have millions of products and how good your business is. Just give me the links to all your products in plain English please.

Yes, mayfly is right in his opinion. But I would explain it in my own way. Tim Ash was right saying that " Some design in a website killing conversion" Now everyone wants to re-design their website and by merely optimizing it sometimes they can kill their own value proposition to their own site. I give suggestion to all my colleagues, friends and website designer that, "Build your website with modern layout. but don't forget to mention the stellar messages of your sites" which people are looking for.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread