How did they do this?
    Hi everyone, and thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.

I am completely new to affiliate marketing, and I am trying to find a way to make ends meet, so I am hoping I can do that with affiliate marketing.

One of my friends told me that these two websites make decent money.

(removed URLs)
    Does anybody know how they did these sites? Where can I go to learn how to set up something similar to this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    DS
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; October 15th, 2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: removed links

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Sorry, had to remove the links, which would have been deemed promotional.

If these are doing well, it is because they are owned by domainers - people who buy countless domains and set up single page sites, hoping that people come there by typing the site name into the URL rather than the search function, frequently expecting that whatever they are searching for is actually a website name (they just add .com at the end).

Doimaining is a tough way to be in this business. You can buy hundreds or thousands of domain names which never amount to anything, and you are simply out the registration and hosting fees. If funds are limited, this isn't a good path to follow. You'd be competing against highly experienced, well funded, extremely sophisticated competitors with huge technical resources.

As you start your affiliate marketing journey, don't try chasing the quick buck. As you search, you'll find countless offers of sure-fire, fast, easy almost guaranteed ways to make money online. Usually there's a picture of someone holding a giant check for a lot of money. The only ones making money are the ones selling the courses. Don't waste your money on systems, especially those that involve pay per click advertising - you can lose your shirt in a heart beat if you don't know what you're doing, and rarely do newbies succeed. Spend a lot of time studying the free resources which are readily available. There are threads here talking about free, well-respected blogs offering lots of information to help you get started. Focus there, learn before you leap, and put in the work - then you can succeed in affiliate marketing.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRSmith View Post
    One of my friends told me that these two websites make decent money.
    Does your friend own those two sites? If not, how does he/she know they are making decent money?

I wouldn't tell my friend which of my sites are making decent money.

Like Jeannine said, don't be fooled by the people who's holding a giant check and trying to sell his money making "system". Affiliate marketing is not a quick money making business. Do your homework before jumping into any system or following other people's footsteps.

Hi Jeannine,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

I am not trying to promote anything, so there may have been a misunderstanding. I included those links because I wanted people to see those websites so they could help me understand how they are made.

I am looking to experts here to help me learn how to make those websites.

Yes, I have verified that my friend is making about 1 thousand per month on those websites. That's a lot of money. But I don't understand who is paying them. I don't get where the money is coming from.

Anyway, I asked for help in learning how to do this in an attempt to save a little time (and therefore reduce my financial burden sooner).

Can I put those websites back in here, so someone can help me learn how to make those?

Thank you very much.

Hi mayfly,

Thank you very much for responding!

Yes, my friend owns the main domain, and then he put a bunch of links inside the landing page and somehow he collects money from people clicking those links.

The links on the landing page are all related to the domain name URL he has. So the domain name is about good rates on hotels. Then, there are a bunch of links on the landing page that point to good deals on hotels. He gets paid when people click on those links.

But, I can't get any more information than that. He won't tell me how he is doing this.

I don't want to compete with him about hotels, there are plenty of other topics I can use.

Anyway, thank you again.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Hi David,

What Jeannine was referring to (a guess as I didn't see your links) is "Domain Parking".

Parking of domains was huge before 2008 - June 8th or so of 2008. This was the day the Google killed Domain Parking. I know, as we had thousdands of keyword rich domains that immediately stopped getting traffic and earning revenue. Domain Parking today has changed. No longer will your parked apge show up in the SERPs as in days of old. Now it's mostly type-in traffic (where someone will actually type in example.com in the browser address bar and end up on the parked page). Most users do not bother to change their address bar - they simply go to the Google and type in the website name they want to go to. This is how the Google makes a great deal of their ad revenue. Website owners, to ensure their "links" are at the top of the SERPs and for brand protection, buy PPC ads via Adwords.

They way people parking domains make revenue now, is they have to SPAM forums, SPAM emails, or buy PPC ads and do a little domain arbitrage. They type-in domains are all bought up by now. Big companies own hundreds of thousands of these premium domains.

Why not simply as your friend some questions? If your friend is parking domains, you won't be encroaching on your friend as you would have to "market" your parked domains the same way.

BTW, Domain Parking is not Affiliate Marketing. Now, your friend could be doing something else - but, based on yoru descrxiption and Jeannine's response, Domain Parking is the closest I can come up with.

Anyway, unless you are experienced in parking domains AND have a huge wallet full of cash to buy premium domains, Johnny-come-lateleys will not make it.

Welcome to the forum. Dig in and get a grasp on Affiliate Marketing - which is tough enough these days...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

8. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    The only other thing is the URLs are hotel related and they've put up a Trivago ad besides the normal PPC clicks. Given that, the amount made per month seems low based on the URL. But yeah, Convergence is right, those types of domain names are all scooped up now.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread