Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Mobile =money or?
    Just curious to see how many of you with static html sites changed them over to be responsive and if the changes have been worth it..
    I have changed over a couple and sales have skyrocketed and the other 3 I left alone and kept working on and it sees to be just the same amount of traffic and sales.
    Anyone have any results to share?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm in the middle of changing over a huge informational static site to use a responsive template. It's a massive undertaking, as I'm also rewriting all articles, re-formatting everything and making all images high-def. But there's no doubt it has been worth it. Sales from pages that have been updated have increased noticeably. And without the use of datafeeds.

Meanwhile, sales from older pages continue to "cliff dive." And sales off my old datafeed pages - which worked so well just two or so years ago - now barely sell anything whatsoever (which is why I'm nuking them).

Edit to add : Besides seeing mobile sales greatly improving on new pages, I've also seen a large rebound in sales to normal desktop users. When you're forced to design a site that is "friendly" on all devices, you sort of are forced to leave all the "bad habits" of desktop design behind. And the new design - while being mobile friendly - also seems to work very well for tablet and desktop users, too.

Right now I'd say about 20-25% of all sales are to "mobile customers." The majority of my non-mobile sales likely go to "Tablet Users," - in particular, iPad users (iPad users constitute about 25% of all page views on my primary site). The rest goes to desktop users. Desktop users are a dying breed, it seems.
    Last edited by jimh009; October 20th, 2015 at 08:30 PM.

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    About a month ago Internet Retailer had an article on mobile and stated that 30% of sales is now mobile oriented. Very timely subject Justdoit.

ABW Ambassador
    This is a good topic that is worth discussing.

Although I agree that mobile traffic is increasing over the years, I'm still not sure how big is the percentage increase of the actual sales. I have several sites go responsive but my main money making sites are remain not mobile friendly. In general, I hate to change things when they are not broken. I'm afraid the sales flow will be interrupted if I do major site structure change to them(like one of my big merchants did). You never know what could went wrong during the process. Your site's regular visitors might not like the new layout and stop coming back.

As to the sites that I've made mobile friendly, I haven't seen any major traffic or sale increase so far. That might just because the niches. But I think I will hold on the sites that are productive and leave them non mobile friendly.

I think making site capable for mobile reach is becoming more important today. About 34% of traffic for my site nowaday comes from iOs and Android.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Here's a recent report on our latest statistics for mobile and device activity. We've drawn the data from 1600 merchants and 3.5 million transactions.

Latest Q3 Network Device & Mobile Stats

Bottom line - mobile is gaining every day!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    One reason mobile sales often lag desktops
    One reason I suspect many people see mobile conversions being less than from a tablet or desktop is because, while their site is "mobile friendly" according to Google, it might not be mobile friendly to what counts - the visitors.

It's very simple to make a website "mobile friendly" in the eyes of Google. But it is one hell of a lot harder to make a mobile site that is sticky, easy to browse and easy to use by real people. And what works for advertising on a desktop site is often one, big fat fail when people view it on a mobile device.

For affiliate marketing, different types of linking methods and different types of advertising - at least from what I've seen on my own site - are needed to successfully convert mobile customers.

I've seen so many mobile friendly websites that, while they look nice, are difficult to use and, more importantly, difficult to browse.

One key metric I find immensely useful in Google Analytics is "time on page" by device type (phone/tablet/desktop).

If your mobile pages are making your visitors happy, the "time on page" by mobile users will often be HIGHER than desktop or tablet users. At worst, "time on page" should roughly equal that of tablet/desktop users (which, at least for my main site, are about equal). If "time on page" by mobile users is significantly lower than desktop/tablet users, then your mobile page - while it might make Google happy - isn't making visitors happy. And unhappy visitors = lower conversions, if any.

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread