Question How secure are in house affiliate programs?
    Lately I've recieved a couple of messages via the contact form on one of my sites from merchants asking if I am interested in becoming affiliate.

Both of them are good fits for my niche and one of them is a company that I would be interested in working with.

What puts me off is the fact that they are both in house programs (no network).

Is there any way that I can check if they are trustworthy, track correctly, will pay out, if I can trust them with my bank info?

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by Ritchie; October 24th, 2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Since they only have an in-house program, perhaps you can find and contact some of their other affiliates for a reference.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    All merchant programs even those on major networks have risks. This month I did not get paid from a major, long-term merchant on CJ who I have now been informed only paid a portion of their commissions to CJ who then paid "some" of their affiliates.

I agree that finding other affiliates and asking them re honesty and reliability is the best you can do.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

5. Thanks From:

Thanks! The one I'm interested in did actually provide an example of a site which is an affiliate of theirs so I'll try contacting them.

I was alittle woried by the fact that they were contacting me to see if I was interetsed, made me suspect it might be a scam (A bit like the typical "I'm the representative of a small country who would like to ingress a few million in your bank account" email)

Is it fairly normal practice for merchants to get in touch with potential affiliates like this?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, merchants frequently will reach out to potential affiliates who they believe are a good match to their program. To me, that's actually a good sign that they are proactively recruiting because that means they are committed to selective growth with good partners.

To expand on what Phil added, each network has a different way of dealing with merchants who haven't paid for one reason or another. They should be able to tell you how they handle those situations and how they alert the affiliates if there is an issue. When programs are on more than one network, that may be a good criteria to help you decide which network to choose.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

8. Thanks From:

Thanks for taking the time Jeannine, I apreciate the advice.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread