ABW Ambassador
    Anyone ever have success with these??

I have never found one that converts over 1% and most of the new ones at CJ ... Seem to steal all your traffic then fade in the wind ... Never to be seen again.

What is your experience?

Thanks,
    Dave

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nothing yet from eyeglasses.com now they moved from Linkshare to CJ. Lensexpress at BeFree seems to have turned the shopping cart tag off during Christmas and not found the switch. I just show a few sales from Overstock since they at least offer name brands ( no prescription lenses) at 50% off.

My very first sale over $5 was for sunglasses2000.com last August. Nothing since. And when I tried buying through my own links to feed my sunglasses addiction* the cart didn't work. I emailed and they tried to do a non-commissionable sale.

I was slightly less than impressed.

I

*I don't even go out in the sunshine. It gives you wrinkles. I need help, I think.

ABW Ambassador
    I find the problem with Sunglasses2000 is that they are Euro based ...and flat rate shipping to the US is $15. If you have primarily US traffic .. This may turn a few people off.

The new player in the CJ rooster ... Sunglass portal ... is US based and has decent prices ... But has yet to convert a sale.

That brings me to the original topic.

Whats up with sunglass Merchants and why don't they convert?

I'm baffled on this one.

Oh .. I forgot to add ... Madshades ... who had great prices and free shipping ... couldnt convert worth beans for me ... They were de-activated 6/21 ..... LOOSER

Dave

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: dhelle ]

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Dave,

Check out the huge selection of sunglasses at BackcountryStore.com. We carry Oakley, Smith, and Spy. We are an Oakley Premium Dealer so we have styles that can't be found anywhere else, including Oakley's site.

We've been with CJ since December 1999 and have an active program here at ABW. Our conversion rate for Sunglass specific websites is up to 4.5%. No guarantees you will do as well, but I can promise we won't take your traffic and disappear.

Thanks for your consideration,

Bryan

See, there's a hook there for the Oakely glasses that Bryan mentions. That's a difference that can mean conversion or not.

Otherwise, my mentor once pointed out that it's pretty darned tough to market that which most folks pick up cheaper at the corner store. I had an LS merchant leave and was down to only one page for them that wasn't converting anyway. Rather than get the message that the product didn't convert, I changed the page to feature Amazon, who always converts for me. Gong. You can obviously buy this product cheaper and easier off line. I get more clicks on those links any given day than most of my other links that sell,sell,sell. Maybe once a week I sell something from that page. If I'm lucky.

Contrasting this is a particular garden specialty item that isn't at the corner garden store, or even most mega hardware/garden stores. It sells very well online, since folks usually only have one or two choices at the brick and mortar places.

So I'm wondering if sunglasses might fit in that category where most folks pick them up while they're out and about and need them (Seattle-ites are famous for having to buy a new pair every August when the sun finally comes out, since they've usually lost the ones from last year). Then special niche sunglasses would be the only way to go for sales.

Unless you can convince Icicle to shop on your links [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

edited to add: WARNING: I've never tried to market sunglasses, so the above was purely theoretical ponderings based on my own 20/20 hindsight about certain pages that sell and certain ones that don't.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: webmistress ]

I think sunglasses would be one of those products that's hard to sell online. Consider why there is always a mirror on the sunglasses rack in the stores. A lot of people try them all on until they look cool in the mirror. Can't do that on a website. This could be different when promoting the sunglasses at BackcountryStore since many of their buyers would be more interested in the product functioning properly.

ABW Ambassador
    Bryan,

I currently don't featere those brands ... But may consider adding them. Do you have product links?

Ernie,

True in some cases ... But the high end glasees like Gucci, Fendi, Revo and the like are just like high end shoes that sell online. People have a favorite style that looks good on them and fits. If the online price is right ... They will buy them online.

But, like I said cenversion rate is very low.

Dave

Actually sunglasses are very easy to sell online, if you are selling the right ones. The designer models found at sunglasses only online stores, I would think people want to try on first. But the Oakley's we carry are so well constructed and recognized that people don't have to try them on.

Take a look at any men's magazine or outdoor magazine - Sports Illustrated, Men's Health, Outside - and you'll find full page ads for Oakley Sunglasses. They have a first rate marketing department which has built incredible brand recognition.

And the most important thing, they have very strict pricing so you can't find them for less at the corner store. We ship for free on orders over $50 - which includes every pair of Oakleys - and people outside of Utah don't pay sales tax. So we usually have a better final price than brick and mortar stores, or click and mortar stores like REI who have to charge sales tax online if there is a retail store in your state.

At least one pair of Oakley Sunglasses is in our top three products each week.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

I'm going hiking, everyone here at ABW have a great weekend!!

Bryan

quote:
    Originally posted by dhelle:
    Bryan,

I currently don't featere those brands ... But may consider adding them. Do you have product links?

We do have product links. And we allow image and URL changes.

Bryan

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread