I see Amazon.ca has recently launched.. they're offering a special deal for newbie affiliates:

quote:
    To celebrate the launch of the Amazon.ca Associates Program, we're offering double referral fees through July 31st. Join now, and earn up to 30% commissions!

You'll need to join up seperately if you're a US or UK affiliate, but it should be fairly easy to integrate into your site.

Trouble is, will it generate enough traffic to make it worthwhile? Hmmmm. Population and economy is about half the size of the UK.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Dynamoo ]

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Personally I'd find it confusing trying to keep Canadian and US links all seperated properly unless I was doing a specific Canada only page- which in itself may cause more problems to integrate properly into my site(s).

For what little I see converting right now, I prefer keeping the US program since most traffic comes from the US plus I can capatalize on the US Canadian $ exchange rate that makes the low sales conversion somewhat mre palatable.
    The other part of it is getting annoyed at being rejected by some other .ca book company which just left me feeling I will leave things as is and not worry about targetting Canada. I have more or less let it slide until winter, whenn I have more time to change things over.

Funny thing is that I'm making some OK sales from my UK traffic even though I get 10 times the US traffic, especially for expensive electronics items..

..the US market has loads of competition, but the UK a lot less. I was wondering what the competition is like in Canada? Or do people just order from the US?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Amazon does have some competition with Chapters-indigo.ca, but they are real fussy about letting people in their program. I have babbled on previously about them not letting my site in, even though from Canada when I wanted to build some pages on my new mall site specifically for Canada. I would have left Amazon off this to avoid confusion as last post stated. We have all the big box chain stores (brick and Mortar) in Canada so competition is like most other places.
    I think in Canada because a lot of population is scattered over large areas we have always used other means such as mail order etc to source some products and buying from the US is always a factor. Sometimes with the exchange rates for currency buying online or mail order makes no sense. Sometimes current trends etc take a while to finally makes its way up here, buying is done from the US since it is unavailable here yet

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread