ABW Members,
    I would appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to post in a reply thier 3 most important things that they feal makes a GOOD Affiliate Program (more than three if you wish)

Thank You,
    Mr. Magoo
    www.AskMrMagoo.com
    www.Magoo-Marketing.com (both sites under construction)

ABW Ambassador
    Above all else: The merchant truly considers affiliates as partners in this enterprise. If this attitude is right, everything else will follow.

In no particular order:

Competitive commissions
      Generous cookies
      Good creatives to work with
      Informative stats package
      Merchant has realistic, sustainable business model
      Merchant rejects predatory/parasitic promotion methods[/list]

The following are harder to assess when you're checking out a new merchant, but they emerge as you work with the merchant:

Reliable tracking
        Reliable payment[/list]

This is a personal thing, not a reflection on any merchant: I prefer products/services where I already have a knowledge base, so I can write knowledgeably about them without doing a lot of research.

I like merchants that are looking for long term business partners and respond to attempts to contact them.

Its also very important to me that they replenish their stock before it dries out. Theres nothing worse than finding all fifty sales have been reversed because they have sold out.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    and they need to have the ability to link to direct products. The ease of how this can be done will help too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I like an affiliate program / manager that is willing to work with me. Sometimes it just takes time to get up to speed with a product line to see what works well for me on my site. There have been many times that it took awhile for things to click.

It is REALLY frustrating for a affiliate manager to not listen because I am not one of the "big dogs" or to not be willing to help with something I need because it might take some time or effort on their part. Who knows, that little dog just might work into a big dog with some time.

So, it is really important to have a manager willing to go that extra mile because if they won't, why should I? I'll just get frustrated with your program and move it on down the line to make money for someone else who is willing to work with me.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    What I desire in the programs are,

Of course everything that was stated above this post,

They do not auto reject because I am in Canada even though most of my traffic is from US
    They don't auto reject because your site is only 75% complete and they still consider it under constrction
    (are you seeing this INDIGO.ca) PFFFFTTTT lol

They don't drop a site because it isn't generating enough income

ABW Ambassador
    Ditto to all responses above, and the products must be priced to sell.

I agree with all the above.

I also would like to add couple more.

1. Affiliates being honest in linking methods.

2. giving a valid reason/contacting affiliate when reversals were involved.

3. Merchant working with the affiliate to help them both benefit and make $.

offering new content banners, etc(updated frequently)

1. on time, net 30 or less payments
    2. logical, clutter-free and easy to understand admin area
    3. Paypal. Whay don't more networks offer Paypal? That would be the coolest. No more worrying about the postal system... and you would save paper/trees... spend less on postage... and you won't have to wait for mailing time.
    I can't believe that Shareasale and like 3 others only have Paypal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    1) An upfront and to the point landing page without clutter or leaks. If it is a lead program the landing page should always contain the sign-up form.

2) On time payments, net 30 or 45 at the very most.

3) Fast response to affiliate email questions.

ABW Ambassador
    1. Merchants who are willing to learn and want their affiliate workforce to do well.
    2. >=10% commission
    3. Absence of obvious freephone number OR freephonenumber that incorporates affiliate code (don't know how this would work)

Hi everyone,
    From (this) merchants perspective, three things that make for an effective affiliate program are:

1) Aggressive, smart, affiliate partners that take the time to build their sites, and keep their links up-to-date.

2) An open give-and-take with any affiliate that takes the time to contact us. (You'd be surprised how few affiliate partners actually contact us to ask questions or make suggestions, and we have a fairly large program.)

3) Taking a conservative approach to specials and promotions, so that we can be sure they are productive, and cost effective. If they aren't cost effective, then we won't survive as a company, and then everyone loses.

Just my two cents.
    Thanks,
    Michael

From the affiliates perspective I'll agree with 95% of whats been said but especially these two :

quote:
    An upfront and to the point landing page without clutter or leaks. If it is a lead program the landing page should always contain the sign-up form.

quote:
    and they need to have the ability to link to direct products. The ease of how this can be done will help too

I'll add that I like merchants who have programs that don't deactivate after a couple of weeks. It's annoying when I make a product page and then only after a short time the program deactivates, it's pretty frustrating.

ABW Ambassador
    1. Products that people search for via search engines.
    2. Good compensation program.
    3. Reliable tracking and payment.

ABW Ambassador
    Reliable tracking
    Reliable payment
    Reliable tracking

Dependable to get done what they say they will get done...unlike you who just vanish into the virtual mist when the balls in your court.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by MrMagoo:
    ABW Members,
    I would appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to post in a reply thier 3 most important things that they feal makes a GOOD Affiliate Program (more than three if you wish)

A slightly old thread, but I'll chime in because I don't think anyone mentioned it.

The hook for me was "trust third party." I had already been in many affiliate programs, and never got paid. They were all private, merchant based programs. I got tired of working my @$$ off only to get stiffed come check time. So when I saw "trusted third party" that was the clincher for me. Someone who was going to act as a mediator between me and my visitors and the merchant.

To me that meant:

The tracking would be checked and verified to work on a daily basis.

That the merchant was required to put up a deposit to cover commissions due.

That the checks would arrive w/in 30 days of the close of the month.

As for the type of program, I'd prefer a 10% commission on all sales and 1 year cookies.

Lastly, I'd also echo what others said: that the merchant fully understands what affiliate marketing is, and knows how to evaluate it properly and support their affiliates' efforts.

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: AffJus ]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    They make payments
    They make payments
    They make payments

If they do do this first one, then nothing else really matters. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Since this thread is back up:

1. RELIABLE, ON TIME PAYMENT AND RELIABLE TRACKING. Without that, ALL the rest is just smoke and mirrors.

2. REAL commissions. As in, 10% or more.

3. NO bull-hockey terms, phony baloney restrictions, etc.!

(You said Add more if you want, so here's the rest of my Top 10...)

4. A PRODUCT people are already using SEs to find.

5. AUTOMATIC approval. Just last week I had a place reject me. I then put up a site dedicated to the product (a rarity for me, most of my sites are virtual malls), only featuring a competitor of theirs. THIS week, the first place decided to approve me after all! Well [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] it's too late now, the site's been made and they're not on it! But if they had AUTOMATICALLY APPROVED ME, like their competitor did, THEY would have been the ONLY merchant on that site. Now they'll be lucky to get a font size "2" mention, at the bottom of pages that are now advertising their competitor instead.

6. Along these lines, the Program Representative should not be a closed-minded fool in any way. And they should not even CONSIDER taking the term "manager" to heart. Those that think they are the Boss, WILL be dropped! And it WILL hurt them much more than it hurts me.

7. Merchants should realize that a Category Monopoly does NOT mean that affiliates won't drop them for being idiots or otherwise undesireable (You know who you are, Doobie Smoker.com). Virtual Mall sites can replace you with ANY merchant in ANY category. There is no need to PAPER the WALL with any particular place's links.

8. Merchants should know that peeved-off affiliates will not accidentally re-sign up for the same program if it's on another network or moves to another network! Lost affiliates are lost forever!

9. Preferred merchants' links never go dead and therefore there is no need for affiliates to keep their links "up to date". A page dedicated to a merchant should be as up-to-date in five years as it is today--even with NO UPDATING DONE whatsoever!

10. Places should only offer product links if they can keep the stuff in stock and at the same URL the original link has in its code (ahem, Crapalog City).

ABW Ambassador
    >>There is no need to PAPER the WALL with any particular place's links.<<

hehehehehehe.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    AffJus -

I'm curious - which companies do you consider to fall under the "trusted third party" title (according to the points you mentioned)?

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread