Tax Paying Member
    Tools and Data Feeds
    SAS has some very nice tools that help affiliates populate their web sites....Make A page...Product Showcase...etc.

When a merchants data feed is broken or unpopulated....the tools can not do their job.......Point is that everyone looses.
    I can't make money with screwed up or absent data feeds......SAS doesn't make as much money......the merchant is not making sales.

It is holiday season. Best time to make sales.............and some merchants can't spend the time to keep their data feeds intact.

I have begun to drop merchants that go for long periods of time with a broken data feed.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

2. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It never ceases to amaze me how a merchant will set up a program, build a date feed, and let it go to hell, and then when sales drop, their answer is to lower their commission rate. They spend the time and effort, and pay the cost for a program, and then cannot keep up with what is needed for it to prosper. And then they blame the affiliates.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    This month, across all networks, has seen a larger than normal amount of merchants jacking with feeds (and not updating).

Have removed over 50K products in the past two weeks. Will NOT be promoting those merchants for a long time to come. They have been replaced.

Furthermore, any merchant with a feed older than two weeks is gone. There are exception, like merchants who have very niche or custom products.

Merchants that have good, regularly updated feeds get traffic and a higher than average conversion rate (5-8% depending on the niche). Also, these merchants get additional brand reinforcement when we serve contextual banner and text ads when their products are displayed. When their products are not on the site, no additional branding is triggered - just their competitors'.

No time for merchants that won't support their affiliates...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I do understand it. But you have to promote your products for better sale.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poojathakur View Post
    Would you be so kind as to "teach me" how to understand?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Lots of merchants don't understand how important a good quality feed is for affiliates to promote their products. The biggest datafeed nightmares are broken images, duplicate products, poor descriptions,...One merchant even has their product prices two decimals more than the actual product prices on their entire feed. I couldn't believe it when I saw every products were priced at ten thousands and hundred thousands of dollars...The AM said the IT guys made the mistake and since corrected. Geez, You would think the AM should at least check the feed after the IT guy submitted to him?

In the past month, I have sent at least a dozen emails to different merchants regarding their datafeed issues. I really wish the merchants and their AMs do their jobs so I don't have to spend so much time on policing their feeds. Com'on, you guys have a whole affiliate team, affiliates are mostly one man/women business, I only have so much time and I would really like to spend my time on promoting your products, not back and forth on your feed issues or link issues.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    The tools that leverage the feed are getting better and better, so it's never been more important than to have a high quality, frequently updated feed. We promote the Product Discovery Bookmarklet, the Product Showcase and Make A Page to our affiliates above pretty much all other tools and they are all feed dependent in one way or another.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ewwwwwwwwwww K. Not to be arrogant, but have been doing this since 1998...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I haven't been at this quite as long as Convergence has but I do have an idea how this all works. I got my affiliate marketing start in May of 1999.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    The tools that leverage the feed are getting better and better, so it's never been more important than to have a high quality, frequently updated feed. We promote the Product Discovery Bookmarklet, the Product Showcase and Make A Page to our affiliates above pretty much all other tools and they are all feed dependent in one way or another.
    It never ceases to amaze me redux: SAS merchants that ignore those tools; try to use, for example Make-A-Page, and no matter what search terms you use, products, even entire categories, you know they offer are absent.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    What boggles my mind even more, is that all modern websites are run by a database. If you have a database to run your site, then it's child's play to dump out a datafeed and ftp it to the networks. All that needs to be done is to get access to the database and simply dump the info needed once a day. It's very easy. OK, maybe this is overly \simplistic in that some effort should be used to keep the datafeed at a reasonable size...but I digress.

I guess my point is, is that if you can make one datafeed, write a program that does it once a day every day and then you have datafeeds that are never out of date. Datafeeds should never be one off manual operations. They should be created by a proigram that runs over and over, this is the computer age where automation is easy.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

15. Thanks From:

I think should promote communication channels

Quote Originally Posted by johnstone View Post
    I think should promote communication channels
    What do you mean by that?

---
    Edited to add: Oh, never mind, I see that this is just a "drive by" post dropping some profile spam.
    Last edited by Bill; November 28th, 2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: O I C Y
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread