ABW Ambassador
    Search on MSN for "amazon book" (just a generic example)
    Web Directory Sites #2 is:

Interestingly #1 seems to be a direct link.

Anyway, is this some sort of deal with amazon for inclusion in the directory? Or is looksmart just taking it upon themselves to do this? Has it been around forever? Seems unfair and biased..then again what isn't these days? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[I thought I saw haiko say something about a check box to not automatically link URL's and to ignore all HTML..but i must be blind I dont see it.. ]

[ Edit to split URLs to lessen width ]

ABW Ambassador
    United Kingdom
    No, that's Looksmart monetizing every listing they possibly can.

And they've been doing it a long time. I put a client's site into Looksmart US about nine months or so go ago. This client has an affiliate program and wouldn't you know it, when the listing appeared in Looksmart, a Looksmart affiliate URL had mysteriously been tagged on the end. How strange [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Now, with the change to a PPC model, this client is not only paying Looksmart per click, they are paying them out as an affiliate too. Well, they would be, but I persuaded the marketing manager to drop them. Don't think they've noticed yet. LOL.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Sneaky move by Looksmart as MarkyMark explained. They also feed some of the Parasites who use a shopping search bar or BHO ( browser helper Object) function to take over the IE search function. This was the main reasons any affiliate webmaster should boycott listings in Looksmart. I pulled all my active client accounts with them if a refund could be given and refuse to submit to them as a site designer/webmaster.

WebMaster Mike

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread