Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thumbs down The Great Spirit Halloween - CJ Conspiracy of 2015
    One thing that CJ has done since I’ve been around (which dates back to 2001) is to deactivate merchants who do not pay. Given that, what in the world is up with Spirit Halloween?

Halloween is generally a solid time for me, and for several years one of my best performing Halloween merchants has been Spirit Halloween. This Halloween season was no different, until it came time to being paid.

In mid-October, while September sales locked, the money had not been moved to the “Commissions Available for Payment” section, and September’s payday came and went with no money from Spirit Halloween received. I contacted CJ and had a back-and-forth for a few days, with the bottom line being the fact that Spirit Halloween had not paid for September sales.

Well, now it’s late November, and the same thing happened for October sales - sales locked but no Spirit Halloween money moved in to the “Commissions Available for Payment” queue and they now have failed to pay for two months.

But, CJ has failed to take any action, and Spirit Halloween continues in Active status, processing sales, more sales that may well not be paid. Despite the end of the season, I had a Spirit Halloween sale as recently as a few days ago (I know, I should remove the links, but I have a lot of manually coded links and dozens of PosShop shops and do not have the time now, especially when there does not figure to be much activity in that niche until late next summer).

So, CJ, why has Spirit Halloween not been deactivated? For almost all long-term, successful merchants, that is the impetus that gets them to pay.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Sounds like the major costume merchant that is on LinkShare (who have multiple programs), they still owe me $$ from last year. I stopped promoting Spirit Halloween last year: They had a low conversion rate and on top of they they dropped their commission rate to around 3-5%. I also found that their AM (I do not remember who they are right now) did not answer any of my question or offered any help to affiliates other then send cut & past emails from time to time.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I've tried many Halloween merchants over the years, and Spirit Halloween has been the best converting for me for several years and their CJ program is still at 13%. As to that "other" merchant, I'm pretty sure I now who you mean, and I documented many problems with them (if it is who I'm thinking of) here a couple of years ago. I stopped promoting them when their conversions dropped out of sight and they cut their commission rate about 75%. Then they dropped me.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I just checked SH is 8% for me now, I use to be at 13%. Anyway I hope you get paid, I always get great support from CJ when ever I have an issue but to be honest I had very few with CJ merchants. LinkShare now that another story...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Still nothing from Spirit Halloween. affiliatetraction still ignoring emails.

Yet, according to Yahoo Finance Spirit Halloween is doing pretty well. From Oct 15, 2015 (Right about the time that they DID NOT PAY CJ for September sales):

Spirit Halloween grabs a big slice of a $6 billion business

"Halloween in America has become a big business - some $6 billion big. For those shopping for the perfect costume this year, Spirit Halloween leads the way.

With 1,165 stores across the United States and Canada, the company is in line with the likes of Best Buy (BBY) in terms of its retail footprint. The big difference? In a couple weeks almost all those Spirit stores will be gone.

Started in 1983 by a California dress seller, Spirit has become the go-to Halloween pop-up store. But since the company only has about two months every year to connect with customers, we wondered how CEO Steven Silverstein and his team spend the rest of the year.

“We are a physical retailer two months a year,” he told Yahoo Finance, “September and October when you see us everywhere. The rest of the year we are a virtual retailer...we’re working to put this together the rest of the year.”

Silverstein says he has a core team of a couple hundred that, despite what the calendar may say, work on Halloween all year. That team includes merchants, operations and real estate.

One of the biggest parts of that operation is finding store locations. While it was once a full time job convincing landlords to rent empty space in a shopping center for just a few months, Silverstein says the tables have turned.

“Today, in this real estate market, we are well known and sought out as an opportunity for centers where there might be a vacant storefront,” Silverstein says."

Quote Originally Posted by phil kaufman aka affiliatehound View Post
    Affiliatetraction still ignoring emails.
    what?? Really??

7. Thanks From:

Well, I did have contact with someone who said he would look into it but its been 10 days since and no info or answers since, as the next CJ payday approaches.

Finally some good news: The OPM told me Sep and Oct Spirit Halloween funds were paid to CJ and despite no answer yet to a new ticket to CJ, this morning locked commissions for Sep and Oct have been moved to the "Commissions Available For Payment" category, so they should be received in the next week.

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread