Attracting affiliates to a B2B service
    Hi,

I recently launched a website that helps companies create online courses. It's a subscription service where users will typically pay either $200 or $600 per month depending on the size of their companies. I've just taken my first steps into investigating affiliate marketing as a possible way to increase my client base and had a few questions:

1) Can affiliate marketing work in the B2B arena?
    2) In terms of compensation for affiliates, I was thinking 30% for the first month and 10% for each month after that (assuming that the customer stays) with payouts to affiliates made 1 month after a purchase (customers can upgrade/downgrade within a month so I wouldn't know the full amount until the end of the month). Does this seem reasonable?

I look forward to your thoughts!

-Eric

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello Eric, yes affiliates can drive B2B traffic. B2C affiliates also can market B2B merchants as most B2B customers search B2C sites or can be listed in paid search.

First need to ask if you have your site conversion down pat as affiliates will not stay long if it doesn't convert. You should add affiliate marketing only after you have mastered SEO, paid search and possibly retention emails.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks so much for your response; I'm definitely in the "learning curve" in terms of marketing. And, from what you've said, it sounds like affiliate marketing might not be the first step. With that said, I feel like I have a chicken-and-the-egg problem. It sounds like I need to be driving sales before I add affiliates but I'm hoping to get affiliates to help drive sales. Any thoughts on this?

-Eric

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, Eric, you do need to be driving sales before good affiliates will spend their time to promote your product. What Chuck is telling you is right on target. Affiliate marketing should never be your first strategy. I know you hoped that affiliates would drive sales, but that wasn't realistic, sorry.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks for the additional thought! I very much like the affiliate concept and will come back to it once my business starts growing.

6. Thanks From:

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread