Do I need to mention using affiliate and referral links?
    Do I need to mention that I utilizes affiliate and referral links at my site?? Is it required by law or not?
    Thanks

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    By law? Seriously? No.

But - it's a good idea to have a FAQ section where you explain how affiliate marketing works in general, so if unaware visitors don't understand "bouncing" between different sites, they cane find out what is happening.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

good to hear that. thanks!!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    In the US, you absolutely should mention that you are using affiliate links - it protects both you and your merchant. The FTC is enjoying coming down on people doing things like writing fake testimonials about products or services, then using affiliate links to monetize those testimonials. Disclosure doesn't hurt your reader's experience, but is simply the right thing to do.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Check the TOS of your merchants, some of them (Amazon for example) require that you make specific disclosure statements. If you are going to use Google adsense ads then you will also need a privacy policy page.

Although it's not required by law where I live, I have a diclosure tatement in the footer of my sites that simply states that some of the links are affiiate links which earn me a small commission. I think that this kind of openness with your readers earns trust.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Disclosure demands from the FTC are past a disclosure policy on the site. They want to see it in the article or post. What JCrooks said was right though, check your merchant terms and make sure you follow them.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    FTC Rules re disclosure only require compliance when you are reviewing or recommending a product. If you are only displaying products and have basic product info with no endorsement-type material, they do not apply.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread