How I almost let affiliate marketing ruin my website and my #1 passion in life..
    I wrote this article today: (it's located on my website, not trying to spam.. but be REAL once again)
    http://mtnweekly.com/mountain-lifest...-real-shall-we

"..And the driving force of that ego was money. Ad dollars & affiliate marketing commissions to be exact. I tasted the punch, it was sweet and I dove in all hungry for that money, money.. I started getting BOLD, my ego was growing as the site traffic and revenue followed. I started to push the industry into a corner, work with me NOW or never."

I started this site for "numero uno" then for friends and family, then for people looking for outdoor gear and then for $$$... Time to get back to my roots.

If anyone has been through this before I would love your input.

-Mike

I thought members shall not include link from own site or blog in forum post as rules stated.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hardaker View Post
    "..And the driving force of that ego was money. Ad dollars & affiliate marketing commissions to be exact. I tasted the punch, it was sweet and I dove in all hungry for that money, money.. I started getting BOLD, my ego was growing as the site traffic and revenue followed. I started to push the industry into a corner, work with me NOW or never."

I started this site for "numero uno" then for friends and family, then for people looking for outdoor gear and then for $$$... Time to get back to my roots.
    Yes....you are breaking the rules with a link to your web site.
    Yes.....You are spamming.
    Yes....Your site is like a glowing bill board.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Actually, here's what the rules say (emphasis mine):

2) Members shall not include in their posts links to their own sites or blogs, with the exception that on occasion members may post such links to specific articles or images if they are necessary or helpful to the context of a post that has as its primary purpose beneficial information being conveyed to the community. Should a member be determined to have taken advantage of this exception and posted an excessive number of links to their own sites or blogs or if a member is deemed to have posed such links for the purpose of self promotion rather than for the purpose of providing information beneficial to the community, then such links may be removed by the Administrators and/or Moderators without notice and at their discretion.
    Phil has the final say on what is and isn't necessary or helpful, but I personally think this one is worthy.

Moderation points aside, here are my thoughts on the subject of the post:

I totally agree. It's very easy to lose your passion (AND your audience) if your only focus is on making money. I've long advocated that successful affiliates (and web sites in general) must focus first on the customer, without monetization being a secondary concern. When that's flipped around, it's a constant battle to try to get more traffic. When the focus is right, the traffic grows organically.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread