Which Affilate Platform is the best?
    So I have a client who wants to switch to a different affiliate platform. Right now we're using Shareasale, which I have really liked. I've been doing research on Linkshare, CJ, Avangate, ect. Is there a better platform to choose? What should I be looking for? They all seem the same to me.

This is not going to be the answer that you are looking for, but rather some insight. In my affiliate days, I always categorized affiliate programs in one of 2 categories, Corporate, or independent. Corporate programs, like the ones that you just listed have a lot to offer. They usually have many different offers, but the higher costs inherent in their size, means that their offers are often smaller. Independent programs are smaller and have less to offer in diversity of products. They are a risk in that their small size means that there is no guarantee of payment, but if you can find a good one, and you can make it work for you, you will be paid better and be treated well, rather than as just another affiliate. It is a balance that you have to weigh for yourself as neither is a bad choice.

As for the differences between them. There are definite similarities. Look at their offers and how they match to your traffic. That will be your key differential.

Sorry that I couldn't give you a more direct answer.

David

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To me it depends on if the network has competitors to your products or services. If they do and show healthy numbers like network ranking or the program, high EPC (relative to your category) then there's a great chance that affiliates are there and promoting your competitors. Otherwise you will be scratching your head trying to convince affiliates why your category of products and services are worth creating new pages/sites for.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    First and foremost when you use the term "platform" in this context you are totally confusing people - you are actually talking about NETWORKS, platforms are something VERY different.

Now, as to NETWORKS: As a long-time full-time affiliate who is in constant communication with merchants, affiliate managers, OPMs, network people, and other affiliates, I can tell you this, as far as legitimate, white hat affiliates are concerned: We want to work with Shareasale, Avantlink, Affiliate Window and Impact Radius. We will tolerate the parasite-infested CJ and Linkshare if we need that merchant that is no where else, but we will not like it. AND CJ remains the worst network there is for creating product links - the only major network that does not have a link generator that lets us create a direct link to any product or any page on a merchant' site. That is a ridiculous, stupid anomaly in today's affiliate word.

To directly answer your question - If would be a mistake of TREMENDOUS proportions to leave SAS for another network, or even to add an additional network. NO - they are NOT all the same.

If you moved from SAS to, say LS, you would see a massive exodus of affiliates.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

No David that answer was great. Especially what to look for and the difference between corporate and independent, and what to look for.

Thank you for your reply. That is a really good point. I was wondering if there is a way to see who your competition is before you sign up?

Hi David!

Can you give the best samples of affiliate programs both for corporate and independent? I think you have more gasp about it or perhaps you have tried some already.

Looking forward for your reply..

Thanks!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I must admit that I am about 4 years removed as I moved from an affiliate to an affiliate manager a while back so I am out of date. From a corporate standpoint, I know that Netbooster, EuroAds, and WebGains were all solid platforms. They had great offers and were very reliable. Some of the smaller independents were Alex Affiliates (I hated their affiliate managers, but they had good converting products) and a company called Guava, which was bought by NetBooster. I would suggest my own, but at the moment we are very new and only have one, Nich Specific product so I am probably not the best program for you at the moment.

Phil above seems much more up to date with the companies that you mentioned, so definitely pay him some attention.

Best of luck to you.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    To directly answer your question - If would be a mistake of TREMENDOUS proportions to leave SAS for another network, or even to add an additional network. NO - they are NOT all the same.

If you moved from SAS to, say LS, you would see a massive exodus of affiliates.
    What he said times infinity. Educate yourself and educate the client.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

BY the way, to expand on what Phil said about the term "platform" being confusing, "platform" is generally used to describe the software that a program or network uses. There are literally dozens of them, and that may be an interesting thread for another day and place. While on the topic of terms, an affiliate program is usually owned and operated by the merchant and is not open to outside products. An affiliate Network operates independent of the merchants who are clients.

Hopefully that clarifies some of the terminology.

David

Leaving ShareASale? Simon says, "Take one giant step backward."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Thanks From:

i think maxbounty, peerfly are the best CPA networks

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If he's on SAS now, it's not a CPA product so those networks would absolutely not work for him.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread