Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    quote:
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Andy Rodriguez:

If there is enough interest in this topic, I can open separate thread as to not hijack this one and KB has already offered to continue to find the best solution available.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that would be a good idea.

I do understand what ReferTrack is trying to do and why ... and I don't want to set myself up as the ultimate tech authority on this, but my personal take/experience of javascript is that it is not very robust for a whole bunch of reasons. In particular, javascripts from different sources frequently do not happily coexist and my biggest fear would be that a merchant tech could set up a groovy js effect on a site (for example [cough] a kewl navigation system) that could mess up the ReferTrack js.

I hear what Jeff is saying about balancing risk, I just think that making tracking heavily client-side is very risky. I'd like to hear what better informed people think.

Mike & Charlie ...

Hello all,

As per Stewarts request and the offering from Jeff (CTO-KB) we are asking for your feed back and looking for a better solution to the ultimate link tracking mechanism. I have invited Jeff in and he will be active in this thread.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

There are certainly risks with client side tracking; but in this case I think they are generally limited to conflicts with new .js files the merchant may upload (and only if they use variables that interfere with ours for some reason). Because of this, we encourage merchants to check their tracking/integration any time they update their site in any way.

We're also working on an easy way to automatically check tracking and integration of our merchant's programs. Checking the actual integration of the ordering system is difficult, but I think we can come up with a fairly easy way to make sure that the tracking cookie is being written when a ReferDetect link is used.

And regarding the ad blocking issue (which again, is one of the reasons we started encouraging merchants/affiliates to use RD tracking), we have a white paper online now that speaks more to that issue:
    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/pdf_adblocking.pdf

I'd be interested to hear more on what affiliates think is the best way to track things, considering ad blocking and other issues that complicate the matter.

Jeff,
    I had another merchant who is using this, but I saw no where did any of the clicks show up, so I got scarred and started using the myap links again. How does it work exactly? Do the clicks start showing up ummediately or is it delayed? All I would really need would be a sale or two to show up and the clicks, to be more comfortable, but nothing did for a couple days.

The clicks should show up immediately (assuming the merchant had the tracking js in place). The only exception is if you have already visited the site through a RD link in the last 24 hours, in which case you wouldn't see a new "click". You'd have to clear out your cookies to get see an increment in your clicks in that case.

There is a way with almost every MYAP merchant to see if you are being tracked after you click on a link. There is a "cookietest.asp" script in most merchant's set of software that lets you see if you have a tracking cookie for that merchant on your browser. The URL for this test script is:
    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...cookietest.asp
    where USERID is replaced by the merchant's USERID. You can usually see that USERID in the URL of your affiliate admin page. If your affiliate admin page is not at myaffiliateprogram.com, then simply take whatever domain it is at and append /cookietest.asp to the end of that link instead to check your cookie.
    If that's confusing, shoot me an email and let me know the merchant you are worried about and I'll send you the link.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Everyone is invited to test any of my merchants at anytime

@Jeff, I had forgotten about that link, thanks....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Hi and Welcome to ABW Jeff!

[Moved to Other Affiliate Programs Forum]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks, Haiko!

I'm wearing protective clothing.

quote:
    Originally posted by Jeff_Kowabunga:
    The clicks should show up immediately (assuming the merchant had the tracking js in place). The only exception is if you have already visited the site through a RD link in the last 24 hours, in which case you wouldn't see a new "click". You'd have to clear out your cookies to get see an increment in your clicks in that case.

There is a way with almost every MYAP merchant to see if you are being tracked after you click on a link. There is a "cookietest.asp" script in most merchant's set of software that lets you see if you have a tracking cookie for that merchant on your browser. The URL for this test script is:
    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...cookietest.asp
    where USERID is replaced by the merchant's USERID. You can usually see that USERID in the URL of your affiliate admin page. If your affiliate admin page is not at myaffiliateprogram.com, then simply take whatever domain it is at and append /cookietest.asp to the end of that link instead to check your cookie.
    If that's confusing, shoot me an email and let me know the merchant you are worried about and I'll send you the link.

Well the clicks should've shown up almost immediately, it was an existing site that I put their links and am sure people were clicking on my links. I will try it again after I do the cookie test myself and see what happens. Is there an easy way to check where the clicks are coming from, such as CJ's SID?
    On a side note, I think your all's program works good, but could use some better reporting such as how many pending sales for the month, or the last month, etc.

We do have a subid function that allows you to append a "&sub=xxxx" to any link and get stats broken down by subid.
    We have had a merchant who requested that his affiliates be able to see a count of how many sales were pending at any time, so that is possible, but it would require the merchant paying us for a bit of custom work. There is a way to determine this already, however (assuming your merchant is using the current version of MYAP); every transaction that is recorded (and marked as pending) is stored in the transaction history. You can export this history at any time easily into Excel and see a count of transactions for any period (as well as which were approved or denied or still pending).

As a note to anyone on the board who has a specific question about reporting for a merchant, it would help greatly if you let me know the name of the merchant. Unlike the networks, all of our merchants have their own copy of the software, and many of them have customizations done to suit their business model. So I could easily answer one question differently depening on which merchant it is.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread