Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Here is the main excerpt from an e-mail from Hobbytron today:

quote:
    We hold the #1 Ranked position in the Toy category for three months straight (because of how well our program works for affiliates).

HobbyTron.com 7 day EPC = $4.59 & 30 day = EPC $18.61 & commission = 12.00% & 90 day cookies

We beat the socks off other Commission Junction publishers in the same category.

eToys 7 day=$3.10 & 30 day=$9.80 & commission=5.00% & 1 day cookies

eHobbies 7 day=$2.74 & 30 day=$3.18 & commission=3.00% & 1 day cookies

Don't take my word for it, but send us a traffic and let us convert it to cash.

I know you'll be pleased with the results.

One of our affiliates earned in one month, $24,742.15 -- YES! You read that right. One month and all by himself and there is no limit to you either.

Which ever one of you who made that amount of cash with them...even in a year, could you share your secret? Pretty please??

That's a lot of unique sales since they only have a one time action referral occurrence.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm, are they affiliated with any.. of those affilaites that we dislike?

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

Dangit, yes they are, I wondered why sales had dropped off, wonder how long ebates has been with them?

ABW Ambassador
    Slaps hand on forehead...

I was going nuts, in this past month I have sent them high quality narrowly focused targetted traffic. The amazon products on the same page are selling at a high rate, the hobbytron - 1 sale.

I was checking links, tracking visitors thru the site, comparing entries and exits, checking keywords and se placement.

Same general category of product. Same price range. Only difference one merchant uses ebates one doesn't. The one that doesn't converts 50-1 better. Oh but ebates is fixed... *cough*

Chet

eBates.com will be removed in 7 days (expiring) their program terms.

Of course CJ will get a call from me tomorrow morning to remove them sooner, if possible.

Thanks for the heads up. (I was unaware of this problem and also not aware of this forum). This post was brought to my attention by one of our affiliates, Thanks Jim.

Troy McDonald
    HobbyTron.com affiliate manager.

[This message was edited by HobbyTron.com on April 08, 2003 at 01:55 AM.]

Our pleasure Troy. Thanks for your quick action.

ABW Ambassador
    Wonder if they were the $24k affiliate...

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

Joseph,

Good question. No they are not the $24K+ affiliate. In fact they in reality have not produced much. Either way they are gone.

Troy McDonald
    HobbyTron.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yay!!

To celebrate, i wil move my U.S. Cavalry airsoft products to hobbytron (i never noticed you sold these). 12% vs 3% in commission.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Troy,

Thanks, and bravo.

----
    -J

Troy,

Excellent!
    I can now fully concentrate my sales efforts on your program knowing that you are at the very least "aware of the parasite problem".

I have several sites ligned up for HobbyTron that I have been putting off because of the doubts about the parasites and also because of the fact that HobbyTron so often offers those coupons..... which are basically scooby-snaks to parasites...

Lets make some money!!

Kevin Collier

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

Troy,

Well done.

I will join your program and add you to my list of custom sites to create and promote.

Regards,

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

ABW Ambassador
    I did not sell much from Hobbytron. But my click-to-sale ratio is pretty good for them. Plus, they got the best commission rate among other toy sites.

Way to go Troy and welcome to ABW.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I get a lot of traffic to my Hobby Remote/Control model pages and tried to feature HobbyTron when Overstock & Walmart stopped producing sales.

YTD: Hobbytron.com $0.00 0 0 640 48,459 0.012 $0.00 0.000 $0.00

They have Keep cookie set to NO...as in no repeat sales if they report one!

They have never answered my e-mails AFTER I go their initial response to switching over all links from eHobbies to them. They obviously suck for conversions on targeted traffic from my hobby pages. Whoever you do decide to promote for toys and hobbies the Yahoo storefront CJ merchants all suck as I don't trust the custom CJ interface to report sales works with all these upgrades... Example ABC123 discount toys has never shown a sale since last November on 916 clicks and carries a lifetime EPC under $.50.

I see the Hobbytron AM Troy McDonald
    ) posting here and maybe the ABWers and other AM's can kick him into shape as this verticle and the Nursery -Golf -sporting goods merchants all need to be forced to get out of the advertising business and learn how to make their affiliate forces SELL products with landing pages. Bunch of wannabee Ad agency workers seem to run these verticles into the ground as none of the 3 networks show a single winner in the Toy/Hobby category.

Troy ..notice how no effort has been given to the creatives and complete lack of product links. All Hobbytron efforts so far have been to throw up some banners and generic text links and pray the affiliates take on the task of driving hobbiest eyeballs to generic landing pages like a cheap Ad campaign.

ABW is the prime spot to recruit active affiliates filling up merchants e-cash registers. Till Hobbytron starts to show affiliate sales better than 1 sale per 80 clicks they are just another typical CJ merchant letting a Niche' market go untapped.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well Mike, as I said in the other thread they convert pretty well for me, Here's my numbers for this year $362.78 75 sales on 5,750 clicks and my December was 1,511.26 242 sales on 3,383 clicks. This year has slowed some, hopefully that will come around, I know it will at Christmas.
    Troy, we do need to talk about that keep cookie setting.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by HobbyTron.com:
    eBates.com will be removed in 7 days (expiring) their program terms.

Of course CJ will get a call from me tomorrow morning to remove them sooner, if possible.

Thanks for the heads up. (I was unaware of this problem and also not aware of this forum). This post was brought to my attention by one of our affiliates, Thanks Jim.

Troy McDonald
    HobbyTron.com affiliate manager.

[This message was edited by HobbyTron.com on April 08, 2003 at 01:55 AM.]

Troy,

Congratulations and welcome to our family.

You will find the ABW team to be crucial to the growth and development of your program. Tiger's 1,000+% growth in under a year would not have been possible without the many affilaite partners at ABW. Don't be fooled by only the ones that are vocal, there are many more that lurk that you will know as you continue to earn their trust.

Welcome !!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

ABW Ambassador
    ecom, you can link to any page, so any product on their site is available. I have not worked with a feed for them, but the any page linking ability is nice.

Chet

Qball you obviously know the secret to overcome the lack of individual product links and have hobby traffic up the ying yang. 1/70 conversion ratio should carry across their entire group of affiliates for this niche' market. Parents buy hobby items for the kids all year long...so Christmas is a bonus season.

I put a huge effort into promoting Hobby and Toy items during last Holiday shopping season. Amazing I doubled CJ merchant clicks this last Christmas season and did 65% less business from Oct -Dec than the prior 3 years. Matter of fact Oct-Dec CJ checks were 1/2 of those received all during the other months of Y2002. This was across the board for all categories with 194 merchants.

Obviously the merchants knew about BHO partnerships stealing commissions and added to the pain by turning off the shopping cart reporting tags to stem the bleeding of Holiday profits going to the Parasitic popup wanks. Wiping us normal affiliates out of Christmas cash at the same time.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Wow, that stinks Mike, I don't have numbers previous to last year, so I can't match up there. I do know hobbytron tracks and have even won a couple little contests with them, Troy even tried to get me my winnings while he was on vacation, so I know he's dedicated also.

--- CJ Phone Update ---

After speaking with CJ, unless it can be "proven" that eBates.com is stealing/replacing cookies, etc. I have to expire them (which takes 7 days).

I started the expire process last night after initially reading this thread.

Troy McDonald
    HobbyTron.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hobbytron converted for me 1/27 this past holiday season. So I had no problem with them then.

Chet

Well I can't afford to keep Hobbytron banners and pre-sell text and department text links on my main page and showcase bargains pages. Unfortunately my Cybermalls have some high traffic SE listings for my hobby and toy pages when I spent some real effort for eToys -eHobbies and others making them among my sites top 5 entry pages. Overstock was the only one who didn't reverse 80+% of the sales, but since last Fall they haven't really had any Hobby items or toys to speak of...plus they are parasite ridden so conversions suck.

Walmart, who converted in Nov & Dec at a steady 1/66, now hasn't shown but one sale since Jan 1st. Forget KBtoys/eToys/ABC123toys as everyone knows it's better to just push Amazon listings.

So Troy gets the challenge. Can the creatives and product landing pages he offers as unmodified links at CJ convert targeted EcomCity traffic. Essential Apparrel has no problem, nor does TigerDirect, averaging better than 1 sale per 50 clicks from that traffic wiht pre-sell text and stock links.

Charlie ...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Troy,

Thanks for booting eBates.

Now I can start to feed appropriate traffic to you to see how you convert.

One thing, though. Please check who it is that did the $24k month. I may be a different parasite. If it is, they might be forcing you to pay commissions on visitors that went direct to your site rather than via a REAL affiliate!

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    eBates.com will be removed in 7 days (expiring) their program terms

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast