I thought some of you would like to see a more detailed view of the CJ 6.0 infrastructure.

If you click here you will be able to see how the new improvements stack up. FYI - you need the latest version of flash to view.

I hope this helps.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on April 09, 2003 at 12:55 PM.]

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on April 09, 2003 at 12:56 PM.]

What are you trying to say?

This will be cheaper to run or it will make it easier to sell our labor investment to prospective merchants or what?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with us making more money.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    UMMMM
    I found a page that wouldn't load, was slow and froze my computer
    I sure hope that wasn't what you were trying to imply that the new CJ interfaace is just like my impressons above LMAO
    Sorry Todd, I couldn't resist the laugh I got when the link wouldn't work right
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hmmm...what SSanf just said.

Oh my...did I just say that? SSanf...

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Hmmm, page also crashed for me. Seemed to be trying to do more animation than it could handle. Ummm, I don't know what to say. This just hasn't been a good week for CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    Is that some type of joke or am I missing something? All I saw when I clicked on the link were a bunch of bills being stacked up.

Todd - since that's not working on a lot of people's machines how about if you just answer the questions that several people have asked repeatedly in this forum such as:

1. Cookies. You said "I think it is unreasonable to expect to get a commission on a referred customer for greater than every purchase they make within 120 days. This would not make affiliate marketing profitable to advertisers if they paid lifetime commissions to whomever referred them."

Web Mistress raised a very valid question when she asked: "Ah, then why does CJ continue to recommend Ebates to merchants? Anyone with Ebates MMM installed on their machine will get a recurring cookie-ing from Ebates for many entry portals (bookmark, Free SE, ppc SE, etc) for the duration of their having MMM installed. ... In fact, Ebates will not be affected by changes in cookies, since MMM assures that re-cookieing occurs every time a visitor goes to one of the sites they "partner" with."

So, you're saying that it isn't reasonable or profitable for advertisers to pay a lifetime commission to us, but it is if they use Ebates?

2. Chargeback Stat. You have not responded to any of the questions/comments on this, most of which can be basically stated as "The stat was really helpful to affiliates and you took it away. Why? If there isn't a "sneaky" reason for removing it (i.e, to protect bad merchants) then if it wasn't a good metric why not work on fixing it instead of tossing it?"

It sure seems that quite a few people are interested in knowing the answers to these questions. Why not just go ahead and answer them instead of pointing us to a flash site that doesn't work on most people's machines?

The reason a lot of people are upset is that it sure seems like the 'partnership' between affiliates and CJ is eroding and this so called upgrade is just the start of CJ selling us out. By not answering the very valid questions and concerns people have you are not refuting this assumption at all. In fact you are encouraging it even more.

Thanks,
    Kip

ABW Ambassador
    I'd also like to ask a question...

Why does an email I have used for some considertable time to obtain datafeed updates suddenly cease to function, providing me with an autoresponse that says I now need to used the 'Ask a question' feature?

Rather then doing the polite thing and contacting me to let me know what the new arrangements will be, CJ just drops yet another feature and expects me to start jumping though hoops in order to get updates for sites that I've put a lot of time and effort into.

And yes, what was the point of getting rid of the chargeback stat? I for one found it invaluable.

Saddened and deeply disappointed by the complete lack of professionalism.

quote:
    so called upgrade is just the start of CJ selling us out.

Nope, it started when they choose parasites who steal our commissions and charge merchants for what would have been free traffic over us and the merchants.

They have been selling us out for quite some time, now. And, they insult us by thinking they can sweet talk us around and we are too dumb to notice what they are doing.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, and I think you meant peEk and not peAk, although, ironically, I think the word trough would be more appropriate.

First of all, I thought you all could use a little humor - hence the flash animation.

Regarding whether an advertiser partners with eBates, et al, this is a decision that each advertiser may make for themselves. They should understand how these publishers drive revenue and determine if it is right for their business model and affiliate program.

Chargebacks were removed because they were not accurate across the advertiser base and did not provide consitant data. It is great that you liked the data but it still doesn't make it accurate. Maybe in the future we will provide additional data that will provide more accurate and comparable numbers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    First of all, I thought you all could use a little humor - hence the flash animation.

Todd if you want to humor us then I suggest you get rid of the cookie keep=no option and create a default cookie of at least 90 days. I'd smile at that.

ABW Ambassador
    So, advertisers can decide to team with ebates for lifetime commissions but they aren't allowed that choice with us?

If the chargeback data wasn't accurate instead of throwing it out why not fix it? Affiliates make up half of the partnership in the affiliate/merchant equation. CJ should want to give us as many tools as possible to help us (and thereby CJ and the merchants) make money, not make it more difficult.

Thanks,
    Kip

15 years and counting
    I lost more than $7000 (commissions, not sales) in the last two days in reversed transactions. (Don't worry, I won't get broke this month) I assume some of them were fraudulent and I agree with CJ and some merchants, the chargeback indicator is not accurate. I'm not going to cry over this. Some good merchants are hurt by those transactions and it's not fair. Comparison between 7 days EPC and 3 month EPC is a much better figure. But, you need to come up with a way to monitor the crooked merchants. How many of my reversed transactions were legitimate, I'm sure there's a few of them.
    By the way, Todd, I like the green color of your animation (it's missing now in our charts), and for sure, I can take a little humor.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Thanks Zeus!

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Kip,

quote:
    If the chargeback data wasn't accurate instead of throwing it out why not fix it?

If we could have corrected it without removing it, we would have.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Can you tell us whats coming in CJ 7.0?
    I would like:
    Website Performance Reports back on front page.

Drop down menu for easy access to merchants, so i can go and make links quickly.

EPC for each merchant, not network EPC, but before this last upgrade you had it where i could check my own EPC with the different merchants i'm affiliated with.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Can you tell us whats coming in CJ 7.0? And are you considering putting some stuff back, stuff that publishers want?

I would like:
    Website Performance Reports back on front page.

Drop down menu for easy access to merchants, so i can go and make links quickly.

EPC for each merchant, not network EPC, but before this last upgrade you had it where i could check my own EPC with the different merchants i'm affiliated with.

On the front page of CJ, you have Pay-For-Performance Drives Results. I'm all for that but like the tools back to make that easier.

What's coming in CJ 7.0??? Are you kidding?

How about we go to version 5.5 and mesh the best of version 5.0 and 6.0? I think that would be better than come out with a version of 7.0 with a bunch of new surprises.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    Good idea, next upgrade lets go back to the old version, the version where we had chargeback % and could tell what product links were being clicked etc.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Regarding chargeback - I agree it was screwed up but it was also valid in many ways.

For example, I had good success with one merchant selling goods but....... the transactions were almost always reversed due to the item being out of stock.

I find it remarkable that a merchants web site / shopping cart can be that out of date and they continually pay transaction fees on credit card processing for out of stock items.

I pulled this merchant because of this fact. I have no way to see this now other than waste my time promoting someone.

Similarly, fraud is a big concern and I understand it does happen but in my honest opinion, companies have a responsibility to limit these just as they should limit customers ordering items that are out of stock (caugh caugh - if they really are).

Doesnt CJ see value in keeping track of what percentage of transactions are fraudulent network wide? I would think you would want to track and report this and further, be able to tell your merchants and affiliates where they stand on their percentage of chargebacks/frauds vs the network average?

Brian of BackCountry was able to easily see there were problems and took steps to remedy them which made BackCountryStore a better merchant. Providing this type of information to your merchants and affiliates should be done if you have a real interest really taking steps to help us all have data to produce more sales which CJ gets a cut of.

Limiting this information as well as us not being able to tell where our orders are coming from seems like stepping "WAY BACK".

Until you can fix these, you might as well reduce all the cookie durations to 0 days (hey you wont have hardly any data requirements), and take down CJU as well because your false pretenses of helping us grow sales is nothing but a bunch of crap until yall get this through your thick skulls.

Todd,

Hehe, I thought it was cute

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

Yep, so did I!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Cute LOL!
    Looks like my graph at times

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

Maybe in the future we will provide additional data that will provide more accurate and comparable numbers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Or maybe you won't?

You refer to this as an upgrade, but I don't see any improvements at all.

How about actually answering the questions originally posted? Is that too difficult?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread