Those of you who have applied to an affiliate program requiring direct approval from the Merchant, could you give me an idea of how long it took to get approval?

I've already seen one program take two weeks and 10 ten days have passed since I applied to two other affiliate programs without any word back.

Since all of these are on CJ, I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the merchants, but rather with CJ.

Any thoughts?

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

It varies a lot and is completely up to the merchant. The merchat gets notified when they log into CJ that there are unapproved applications to review, it is up to them to them go in and approve.

I have had merchants approve me by 8am on Monday after applying over the weekend but in other cases I am still waiting for an approval or a rejection month's later.

Regards,

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

quote:
    Originally posted by netsweatcom:
    I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the merchants, but rather with CJ.
    On the short end of the scale some will approve within hours, or certainly by the next morning. On the long end some will never do anything at all. For instance, I left Patagonia up for months last year and they never replied. I just pulled the app (and re-applied recently having forgotten, with the same results).

The ones that really puzzle me though, are the brand new advertisers - you'd think they would be anxious to start capitalizing on their cost of joining, but some of those still ignore the apps - American Apparel was one that I withdrew and this week is another new apparel merchant that's ignored my app since the weekend so far - if they don't approve it by Friday I'll probably pull it figuring they'd not be very responsive after the fact if they can't be bothered from the outset.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I think I have san fancisco music box co at CJ going on its 3 -4th MONTH
    I also have one same time span at LS
    I don't expect them to ever get it reviewed so I found other merchants who were more than happy to approve us. The ones that take this long don't get links up if they take this long even if they eventually approve us. Sets off warning bells, what are they really going to like for support etc down the road.
    Others like essential apparrel approved same day, today, and already have a few links up for them at least until I get a page or two built for them.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

So, I'm not the only person having problems with this.

CJ really needs to pick up the ball on this one. If the merchant is not responding quickly, CJ should do something about it. After all, the data is there.

www.netsweat.com

ABW Ambassador
    If the merchant is TotalGym, forget it. I applied in August 2002. Still waiting. Several emails from me and direct from CJ clould not generate any reply from them. Either they do not want our business or they do not know what to do to approve an application or how to write an email.

I log onto CJ 5-10 times a day and always approve whatever is there.

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com
    $7.5 Million paid to affiliates last year
    Highest Converting app on the Net!
    Private Forum at ABW

Automatic approval with filtering for certain apps is the way to go! If an affiliate applies for a program, it means they want to do something - give them access right away IMHO.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

Daniel,

Could you provide insight into how the process works? I'm guessing that once somebody fills out an application, an email gets sent your CJ inbox.

Is correct or do get notified in a different manner?

Thanks!

www.netsweat.com

netsweat,

First of all hi!

There are no e-mail notifications in the CJ interface for merchants. All pending affiliate apllications are put into a "pending" queue. When a merchant logs into the CJ interface, there is a status box displaying how many pending apps there are. Merchants that don't login, don't see the pending apps.

Btw, check out our selection of sweats from names such as Russell Athletic, Lee etc for men, women and kids at great prices! We also have a huge selection of sport socks for all activites. I would love to have you aboard!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW

Yes, exactly what Akiva said =) Once we click that box we get a list of publishers applying what their $$$$ ranking is and their sites. I wish they would give us all the contact info like they do in LinkShare it makes it easier to validate publishers.

Daniel Fink
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com
    Private Forum at ABW

I had one merchant take 6 months to approve me. Then, 2-3 weeks later I saw they were dropped from CJ.

Right now I have 9 awaiting approval at CJ and it was several weeks ago (some several months) that I applied to these. One can only figure that their affiliate manager only checks these once a month or they no longer have an affiliate manager.

The real question is with these companies is, do you really want to deal with a company that takes that long to approve you?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    The in house system we are developing e-mails us upon application. So during biz hours we can review the website etc.

CJ should e-mail the merchants.

As with PD, our in-house program emails us as well. It really is useful and LinkShare emails you too, I agree it would be nice if CJ did.

Daniel Fink
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com
    Private Forum at ABW

Thanks for the insight.

I wrote to both merchants to follow up on the application. One emailed me back to say that were working on, while the other approved me later in day. Sometimes just following up can work wonders...

Akiva, I'll check out your site and your affiliate program.

www.netsweat.com

Excellent topic. There always seems to be some smoke and mirrors in the process. We applied to a merchant and were rejected about a week later. I inquired as to why and found out it was because we had classified ads on our site. The merchant didn't want to be associated with classifieds that weren't read before they were published. Um, I said, all classifieds have to be approved before they are published in print. Oh, they said. Well, you can re-apply in a month and you will be approved. yeaaaaah, suuuuure. A month.
    Not.

Here's another thing. Once a merchant rejects an affiliate account, the account gets a "rejected" status which disables the ability of the affiliate to reapply by using the "Join" button. The only way to reapply once you've been rejected is to contact the merchant with your PID and ask for approval.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

There is one part of your CJ profile that can really screw things up for you. There is a field that asks you if your site has any special incentives or promotions. LEAVE THIS BLANK unless you offer a real incentive to your visitors. Look at the CJ TOS for clarification on this.

Saying "We give to charity" or writing "None", "N/A", "No", "TBD" or putting anything in this box sets your account for manual approval.

We auto approve most countries (with manual approval for a few high fraud countries) so most go through right away. If you seem to have every CJ advertiser need manual approval, check your profile.

I make it a point to check several times a day and take care of approvals. Having recently built some affiliate sites, I know the frustration with waiting for approval. Some merchants just aren't smart enough to realize that if you don't auto approve, you risk losing the link.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

ABW Ambassador
    I put up a new site this month and thought it would be cool to add a shopping section to it so I went to CJ for programs. Wow. Time's sure have changed. It used to be that you could just go to CJ, click on join, get your links and go. Now, it takes forever to get approval.

I was all geared up to get the links up and the site finished in a day or two so it would hopefully be up when Google came by. I applied to 12 merchants and only 2 had automatic sign up. Instead of waiting around for the other merchants to think about approving me after a day I gave up and went outside CJ. I went with merchants who would approve me immediately so I could get the section up.

I haven't promoted CJ merchants in some time but I have a 4 dollar sign rating so you would think they would give that a little bit of weight. Nope. I got rejected by 4 different merchants - one said because I didn't have a shopping section on my site. I said yes, but that's what I'm trying to add so how can I add one if no merchants will approve me until I have one? What's even stranger is that my target audience is the exact same age group the merchant was going for so even if I didn't have a shopping section I could still have put up a banner or a text link promoting them.

If this is the mentality of the merchants it seems like CJ needs to educate them better. I used to use CJ almost exclusively just because it was easier, but not anymore. I don't want to have to wait a week or two for approval just so I can sell someone's products. Sorry, no. I want to be able to spend a day or two putting up links and then move on. I don't have the time or patience to wait around for someone to say "Hmm. Well let's see. Oh I gueeeeessssss so. Okay, yes. Yes, I will give you permission to make me money." Golly gee, can I? Now that you wasted a couple of weeks of my time to tell me that I'm just real excited about working with you ... uh, not.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot more merchants these days are having trouble with the concept that affiliate are partners not "people who should be grateful I even let them promote my product"? I feel like telling some of them "What part of I bring you customers and make you money don't you understand?"

Thank you. I am now stepping down off the soapbox.

Kip

Very well said, Kip! There are very few AM's that realize what affiliate marketing is about. AM's that come to ABW are more aware of the issues at hand, but yes, most AM's do not realize the value of their partners.

Unlike me

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Kip:
    Now, it takes forever to get approval. I was all geared up to get the links up and the site finished

Yea, often I have a particular thing I want to add from a given merchant, if they don't have auto-approval on, then I just search for it elsewhere and expand from that point on with the alternate merchant.

Continuing my earlier post, I applied on the first day a new merchant came on board on CJ on 3/21, I emailed them (from their site vs. through CJ, since those CJ mails seem to drop in a black hole) a couple days ago asking if they knew they had to approve publishers - no response. I emailed CJ last night to see if it was just me as well - no response yet, but it hasn't been that long.

At this point I'll likely not be adding any links to them if it ever comes through, but I went the extra mile to find out why because I find it extremely puzzling that any merchant would join a network and never approve or reject any apps

Well, since I posted here on March 26 that I had nine that I was still waiting for approval, nothing has changed. Still nine!

Hopefully it won't be six months like the one did to me.

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Hey, the new 6.0 version of CJ now lets me know when I signed up with a merchant. I'm currently showing the following slow pokes and wonder if others have had the same propblem getting accepted by these folks:

DATE
    APPLIED MERCHANT
    August 28 Gradschools.com
    September 7 Mothercare.com
    September 7 Babylinens.com
    September 7 Booksontape.com
    September 7 Amazing-Bargains.com
    November 13 CK Elite Sportswear
    December 29 Stonyfield Farm
    December 30 FractionPrice

I am just shocked that the affiliate managers of these companies have not approved these. Just who do these companies have running their programs????

CJ! You need a DROP MERCHANT BUTTON on they pending applications page. If not that, how about a button that automatically posts the merchants name here at ABW to warn others?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread