ABW Ambassador
    I want to take a moment to thank CJ for their handling of affiliate earnings, which is A++.

I'm taking a hit of around $1100 on a Linkshare merchant that is going belly-up and this would never have happened with CJ because CJ doesn't allow merchants to go months in arrears.

I took an even bigger hit when a BeFree merchant ceased operations a couple years ago.

CJ stands many heads above the crowd in seeing to it that affilates get prompt payment of their earnings, and minimizing their losses when a merchant bites the dust.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, don't hold your breath.

I've had many a transaction reversed due to merchant non-payment at CJ. (OmniGift, Candy WareHouse.)
    I'm sure others have had the same happen too.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm with Whiznot. Without good payment, all the rest is just bells & whistles.

Even with those places like CandyWarehouse, you find out that it's a deadbeat a lot quicker at CJ. CJ deactivates them in a couple of months, whereas some of the other networks will leave deadbeats' links active in their system for many months--until they're holding the Bankruptcy Notice in their hand!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

15 years and counting
    It's why CJ was so successful. I've seen so many negative changes lately at CJ. I'm wondering if it's going to last. If they touch that, they're gone.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    you find out that it's a deadbeat a lot quicker at CJ
    would be much quicker though if we can see a 40% to 80% merchant reversal rate.

not anymore. that info is not available now.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sure you see my complaints about handling of reversals and CJ dropping the %reversal metric. And I'm definitely displeased about the whole reversal business.

Still, I want to give credit where credit is due. I'll bet there's a large percentage of the affiliates that hang out here that go to CJ first when looking for a new merchant to work with, because they've been burned pretty bad when merchants on other networks go belly-up. Who wants to wait several months to find out if a new merchant pays their affiliates timely? Who wants to be caught holding the bag for several months in unpaid commissions? Who wants to wait several months to start to receive revenue generated from today's efforts? With CJ, the wait is only a few weeks and the exposure is likewise.

I agree CJ is the best! But, they are getting rid of the very things that set them apart from the others!

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    Gotta totally agree on the payment aspect.

No one can compare to the excellent payment system that CJ offers, and that is why they have grown so big. Affiliates flocked there , and where the traffic is, come the advertisers .

If they ever changed over to slow as molasses payments , or extending credit to advertisers , they would be about as appealing to me as a snowball salesman ringing my doorbell this past winter, given all the recent "downgrades" and spotty tracking .

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tami:
    I agree CJ is the best! But, they are getting rid of the very things that set them apart from the others!

Tami
    Well said Tami, well said.

I agree with you all that CJ is the best.

I'm just saddened that they are starting to break up those very qualities that make them so.

If this deconstruction continues on to CJ 7.0, CJ will just become one of the guys and not the best anymore.

For now, CJ still has many good qualities left. Let's enjoy them while we can for they might not exist anymore when we wake up one day.

[This message was edited by waytogo on April 12, 2003 at 10:53 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    CJ has the plan when it comes to NOT trusting merchants to pay on time or exiting with no payments. I see the last 6 Linkshare additions to their long dead pool list now owe me 381.00 which I'll never see unless I sue the buggers.

Startup affiliates and those looking for product filler merchants should always jump in the CJ merchant pool. Keep you mouth closed while in that commission pools as the parasite crap floats to the top.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Whiznot:
    I'm taking a hit of around $1100 on a Linkshare merchant that is going belly-up

Who? Just want to make sure I am not promoting them if they are going belly up.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

quote:
    product filler merchants

Yes, that they are good for.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Thats whats frustrating. I would like to see them keep improving but with the past upgrades they really haven't listened to what we want, they have been just doing what they want and what they think is best. CJ used to be all about Performance but then they take away performance tools. They still can get things back together by listening to what we want:

1. Bring chargeback % back. We want it, doesn't matter what you want.
    2. Bring back performance reports to front page and easy access to merchants via drop down menu.
    3. Bring back the ability to check your epc with each merchant for various time periods, not network epc of each merchant but your personal epc with them.
    4. What a lot of people want, the ability to check what product links are being clicked. This way we can see whats selling and if something isn't selling we can replace this non-selling product link with one that might sell. If i make more money, merchant makes more money, CJ makes more money, everybody wins. This was a very helpful performance tool, don't know why its gone.

Bring the above back along with some of the current improvements (being able to see the cookie situation with each merchant) and keep listening to what WE want, and they can be a Performance Network again.

Start listening to what your customers want(Publishers, Merchants) and start upgrading with that in mind.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on April 12, 2003 at 11:11 AM.]

DITTO TO WHAT TRUSTNO1 SAID!!!

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    _DITTO TO WHAT TRUSTNO1 SAID!!!
    Same here!!!

And if I may add, I cannot help but wonder where CJ is getting all its crazy ideas.

The 4 features that were mentioned were not really anti-merchants. In fact, they were very helpful in finding which merchant is a good fit for a particular publisher.

So, if I understand correctly, CJ makes merchants pay upfront for future commissions? Basically, they keep money in the merchants account. In case the merchant goes chapter 11, at least some people will get paid - is this correct?

This is good news because I have around 7k in oustanding commissions and I am getting very nervous that I will never see that money.

CJ is taking forever to pay me for the first installement, which makes me even more nervous.

All other people I work with pay on time, not CJ.

defanjos, first of all hi!

As for CJ payment, you should definately call CJ. They are probably holding your first payment because they need your Social Security # or Business Tax ID #. 805-560-0777 - ask for client services. CJ is located in CA.

And as for merchant's not paying commissions... at CJ this cannot happen. A merchant must maintain a positive balance in their account or their account is automatically deactivated and all affiliates are notified. So basically, unless a merchant is deactivated, it means they have money in their account to cover commissions. As sales come in, the commission amount is deducted from the merchant's account and reduces the merchants's balance. So you are guaranteed your payments unless the merchant reverses the sale.

As Leader said, "Without good payment, all the rest is just bells & whistles."

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 100 DAYS ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW ~ DATAFEED AVAILABLE IN FORUM
    Join our program through CJ now!

Thanks for the reply Akiva

Yes, you are correct they do not have my ssn - that could be the problem. I tried entering it online, but there is not a form field for it on the account edit page.

I will call them Monday

Also, I feel better knowing if the merchant goes belly up, at least I'll get paid up to this point.

my opinion is that the upgrade didn't really affected me on navigating their system.

it's just like any other pc stuff, I looked around and learn and get used to how to use it.

in my account I don't have much, but I always know I get my check every month and that helps alot to people that depend on that money they make. (not like other networks that keeps you hanging! and don't care if you pay your bills or not!)

I give them one

I am starting to understand more and more about this business and I just would like to say that there is more upgrades in this Technology world that is coming not just on CJ but through all tech and we just need to get used to the upgrade and if they don't listen to our complain or suggestion, maybe they are just too busy on working the upgrade for easeir use!

I learn that communicating straight to the source is better result!

I heard that from here! :-)

I also learn that in this business you just have to watch out for who's Merchant is worth your time and effort and always willing to help you boost your commish. (which there is only few I know from ABW and they do deserve that top priority promoting them! and the other that just say and not do, stay away from them!)

my two cents!

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Yes, CJ is good in terms of payment, but I must say that other networks are good too.

As for the recent upgrade, I have no problem with the look and feel though it doesn't turn me on. But I'm 100% with Trust with regard to some old functions being taken away.

One particular thing that LS is doing much better than CJ is that LS has a Product Success Report, which tells exactly what products were sold for each merchant. I sure hope CJ will consider adding a report like this.

quote:
    which tells exactly what products were sold for each merchant. I sure hope CJ will consider adding a report like this.

YES!!!!!!

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread