I'm new to CJ, and I think I believed their assertion that the 1x1 pixels needed to be present and the merchant logos/banners had to be pulled off their server for accurate tracking. Well, since this setup wasn't quite compatible with my site, I ended up making some changes to the backend and dynamic pages to make it work. It seems to be working, but its a bit of a clumsy setup. For one thing, images load off the qksrv server a lot slower than my own.

Before I end up changing all my pages, I figured I'd find out just how necessary this is. This post suggests that at least the 1x1 pixel images are unnecessary for sales tracking, just needed for impression tracking. Can someone reassure me on this and explain the situation for logos/banners? Banners aren't much of a problem, but I'd like to keep logos local to my server.

EDIT: Also, is there a way to get plain links with your PID and an AID that's isn't associated with any image? Or perhaps I should say, just an AID that's directly associated with the merchant and doesn't reference an image?

Unless your CJ merchant allows it in their affiliate agreement, you need to keep the qksrv image on the page with the link, or they may drop you. It messes with their statistics gathering hoozits..

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >For one thing, images load off the qksrv server a lot slower than my own.

Possibly because your server is closer to you, and better connected to your location?

quote:
    Originally posted by FFoc:
    Unless your CJ merchant allows it in their affiliate agreement, you need to keep the qksrv image on the page with the link, or they may drop you. It messes with their statistics gathering hoozits..

Hmmm, so things should track OK, but you risk being dropped. Well that's no fun either. I think I've thought up a better way to deal with it at least. They won't mind if you just use any of their 1x1 pixel images and the corresponding link without the text they dictate, will they?

quote:
    Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Possibly because your server is closer to you, and better connected to your location?

Quite possibly. I tend to think its because their servers are doing a lot more than mine, though.

Another idea...would merchants mind if impressions to click throughs were 1:1?

quote:
    Originally posted by Dolemite:
    Hmmm, so things should track OK, but you risk being dropped.

Well, sales track, but impressions don't.
    Continued below.

quote:
    They won't mind if you just use any of their 1x1 pixel images and the corresponding link without the text they dictate, will they?

As long as you aren't misrepresenting them or their product, they likely won't. Review your agreement first tho - if they DO mind, it'll be spelled out there.

quote:
    Another idea...would merchants mind if impressions to click throughs were 1:1?

As I mentioned above, it throws off their statistics and some aren't too keen on that...

Certain merchants, like EssentialApparel, aren't worried about tracking impressions, and have stated such - Checking with the merchant first is my advice.

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Has anyone from CJ any advice on this important issue? I was told having the 1x1 was an "urban myth" and not necessary. Took them all off, and sales started showing up for a handful of merchants who they've not shown up for before. Yet my old steady's that did display sales WITH the pixel image are now not showing sales.

I'm ready to rip my hair out! CJ's got a fantastic assortment of merchants and I'd love to sell for all of them - but it's too much to handle to figure out who needs what to track the efforts.

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

In our merchant interface, we have access to the impression/clickthru ratio. It may be important for some merchants to track the overall effectiveness of the link by seeing clickthru/impression rates. Without the 1x1, the stats are off.

Personally, I look at the EPC of the links and ignore the impression stat. How much money is it making per click? To me, the EPC stat is more accurate as to how effective a link is.

Since we, as merchants, have limited control over how the links are presented on affiliate sites, we have limited control over how well the links will do in terms of stats. Targeted clicks do well, untargeted links generally do poorly.

I had a lottery site send me lots of clicks but very, very, few sales for those clicks. The people ending up on my site were trying to win $50 on his slot machine and were not interested in my site (or any merchants site). It killed my stats until I figured out what was happening.

The bottom line:
    - the 1x1 is not needed to record sales
    - I don't care if our affiliates drop the 1x1
    - Some merchants might be upset by the lack of the 1x1

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread