ABW Ambassador
    I got the following mail:
    Also - Sheplers does not offer any type of ''coupons'' or ''deals'' on our site. The CEO of Sheplers has recently found a couple affiliates with just such wording and asked me to terminate them. I did. (What choice did I have ... he is the CEO)

It is Sheplers policy NOT to mislead a customer into thinking a coupon or deal is available. Thus, affiliates that ''lure'' customers through their site for sales may have their affiliation terminated. .................

I appreciate this very much and it should be cj.com policy to do so, too.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.sheplers.com/SC/billing.cfm?Total=449%2E99

hmm, i don't know if that link will show up but there is a coupon code box at checkout.

"It is Sheplers policy NOT to mislead a customer into thinking a coupon or deal is available."
    They do mislead a customer just having that coupon code box at checkout. Usually when a customer sees this, they will go looking elsewhere for it. Either the CEO or AM don't know whats going on or they need to remove that box.

[uploaded gif to show]

[This message was edited by Haiko on April 05, 2003 at 03:43 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Just thought I'd add this as a side-note from Shep:
    quote:
    Key word bidding still a problem
    Date: 04/04/2003

If you’re not bidding on Google - this does not concern you.

If your site contains such words as ''coupon'' or ''deal'' - part of this email may concern you.

-----------------------------------------------

I''m still having problems with affiliates over-bidding on Google (keywords / Sheplers and misspellings of). In fact, I''ve just recently terminated three affiliates because of that very reason (One of which is currently bidding above me today).

There will be no more warnings about this policy. Any affiliate found to be over-bidding will be immediately terminated.

-------------------------------------------

Also - Sheplers does not offer any type of ''coupons'' or ''deals'' on our site. The CEO of Sheplers has recently found a couple affiliates with just such wording and asked me to terminate them. I did. (What choice did I have ... he is the CEO)

It is Sheplers policy NOT to mislead a customer into thinking a coupon or deal is available. Thus, affiliates that ''lure'' customers through their site for sales may have their affiliation terminated.

Brian Ewing
    Internet Marketing Manager
    www.sheplers.com

Brian
    aka Cyclone

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I get these too. But I don't bid on keywords so it doesn't effect me. I see their point, all they are saying is in effect
    Look Shepler's is our copyrighted keyword, don't out bid us on it. We shouldn't have to compete with ourselves." I agree with them. If you want to use bidding to sell western wear, then sell someone else's.

Mike
    Stallion Shoppe
    Horse themed gifts and collectibles

I also received this. I totally understand the need to protect their trademark, and they should warn, then terminate, affiliates who are advertising using it.

The coupons or deals issue is a little grey to me. I've seen the optimized pages for merchants, such as "merchant x coupons", and when you go to their site, there aren't any coupons.

The deals issue seems a little different, IMO, as right after this email, Sheplers sent an email notifying everyone of a big sale. This seems like a "deal" to me...

I do occasionally get a sale from them (though I wish they would quit using the CJ "Other" reason, since it always makes me wonder what the merchant is hiding), and I do not advertise using their trademarks or their coupons, though I may list their sale on one of my sites, if specific products are on sale that make sense for me.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I've stated this before, but will mention it again here, just as a plus for Sheplers, the AM, Brian Ewing has a no-nonsense policy in regards to parasites, he absolutely does not tolerate them. Only a 5% commission, though, but jeeeze, if you actually get credit for the sales you make, that helps to make up for a smaller commission.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    Sheplers was whining in an e-mail not long ago about someone outbidding for their name in a search engine.

I checked the search results and found that westernwear.com was the one above them. Don't they own westernwear.com themselves?

My experience is that whining merchants are most likely on the way out, e.g. Fingerhut, etc.

I too have noticed that Sheplers commissions are small...and I had made an exception for them...because I usually don't keep a merchant who reverses my first sale... reason "other".

I think all this whining is simply mind play. I see the big shadow on the wall, but it doesn't impress me.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I appreciate this very much and it should be cj.com policy to do so, too.

You appreciate being terminated? Maybe someone should terminate you...

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, it seems like these clowns don't know whats going on. I can understand the desier to not cheapen the brand (see threads on BCS forum), and advertising coupons when none is available can leave a bad taste in a customers mouth, but, on their own site they have a coupon code box? wtf? And send out emails with deals...

Weird. Typical western wear types...

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above

ABW Ambassador
    I wish these sites would realize what a killer that promotion code box is. It screams to the customer that they are getting a lousy deal. There are people out there getting better prices. Smart consumers stop their purchase and look for coupons.

Sites should never have a blank promotion box. You can run all promotions through special links.

As for cancelling sites that optimize for Shepler's coupons....I give a big thumbs up. Hopefully they fix their off the shelf shopping cart program soon.

boom!

I have a question about sheplers, I made a quite a few sales last month, March, and none of them have been approved for the payment to be sent out this month..... Will they be ready to pay out next month??? Wondering what other's experiences have been. Last month was my first month making sales for them.

Thanks.

Big Country,

I think they always extend their transactions by default, because our only "locked" or "accepted" transactions in March for Sheplers are either "corrected" or "corrections" (read: REVERSALS). Meaning to say, you will have to wait one more month for the extended amounts to be added to your cheque total.

Hope this helps.

VAN.

UGH! ok, thanks. That is what I was wondering. I have had one correction, reversal, hopefully no more.

Thanks for the reply

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread