Has anybody done much work with blended CPA's? That is, paying a smaller CPM plus a smaller CPA to give some security but still function on CPA principles? What are the benefits/disadvantages? Can it be structured through CJ or would you have to create a separate deal? I've been talking with a lot of big sites lately and it seems they're a little wary with straight CPA deals. Are there other options?

I know a lot of people have talked about starting up a blended affiliate program, but I can't say I've ever used one. I'm pretty sure there is no way you can sneak even a little bit of CPM into CJ now. They just don't let merchants do CPM anymore, and if they let one merchant use "a little" CPM then others would want to be nearly 100% CPM (and disguise it as a blended program). So it looks like you'll have to create a seperate deal if you want to do blended. I think big sites are wary of CPA deals because they know their sites can't convert, despite their enormous amount of traffic.

Interesting comment about big sites driving alot of traffic but not really converting. Do you find that true with highly targeted audiences as well? As opposed to selling irrelevant things on high-traffic sites or random things on general sites, what about selling conversion rates with a well-placed product on a high-traffic site that's well-traveled in its category?

Hmmm, that's a very good point. It is possible to have a highly targetted, high traffic site, but they're pretty rare. I think a major cause of the dot-com crash was websites that got a ton of traffic, but weren't targetted for any type of advertising.

I think all merchants should be very careful when using a CPM program. Double check every applicants website to make sure they can convert. This is probably why CJ no longer allows CPM, it is just too easy to cheat by driving huge amounts of traffic to a site that nobody really wants to see.

I'm not saying that you (as a merchant) can't succeed with CPM. You seem to know how important it is to make sure advertisements are highly targetted. If you can create a good blended program and accept only well-targetted sites you probably can do very well. But it just won't be possible through CJ

Thanks a lot David. I appreciate the help!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread