Anybody else get an email saying CJ wants to know how you promote Ameriquest? Because you "may" being promoting them illegally? I've never used as email campaign in my life, for any affiliate, and this is what's sent to me today;

Dear Publisher,

On behalf of Ameriquest's affiliate program, Commission Junction has done some automated reporting that identifies publishers who may be using email as a way of driving transactions for Ameriquest. I emphasize MAY because CJ and Ameriquest are in no way accusing you of sending email campaigns, only that we ask your cooperation in confirming you understand the requirements and that no violations of Ameriquest's policies and trust are occurring.

As you are aware, the Ameriquest Mortgage affiliate program strictly prohibits any of it's publishers from engaging in email promotions on their behalf. This is an extremely sensitive issue for Ameriquest as they hold in high regard the right to privacy of individuals and they actively disengage themselves from activity that can be construed or misconstrued as spam. No email campaigns are being approved at this time.

As recently as yesterday, an email was sent by Ameriquest to all joined publishers: "Your cooperation in this matter is mandatory. Any leads generated from emails that do not have prior written consent will not be paid and could result in legal action." This prohibition includes emails using banners, text links, or any other links made available by Ameriquest to their publishers.

Please reply to this message describing what, if any, your activity with email promotions has been for Ameriquest and what promotion methods you use on behalf of Ameriquest.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Ameriquest has proven to be a very successful advertiser for many publishers and Ameriquest and Commission Junction want to preserve that opportunity.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Evans
    Account Representative
    revans@cj.com

I'd like to know how they picked me out, when I've never used email campaigns.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Anybody else get an email saying CJ wants to know how you promote Ameriquest?
    Nope, just rechecked my mail . . . and I do find that strange. I remember reading their TOS stating the email campaigns but I'm not aware they'd be searching for heads. There ARE many, TOO MANY, ahole affiliates out there that spam the helloutta everyone so I'm not in the least surprised.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

I get lots of affiliate-related spam. Of course, I've always opted-in to receive it. Um-hum...

I used to just delete them, but lately I've been forwarding them, headers and all, to the company they're advertising, along with a note explaining that I did not opt-in to receive mail from the sender, in fact, I have never heard of the sender.

The companies seem to be very grateful for the heads up. I guess the moral is to be careful who you send spam to, you never know who might get it - or who it gets forwarded to!

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

I would definitely say it's legal issues. Lots of opportunist lawyers out there threatening legal action and settling for a few hundred bucks. I've worked on a few clients that use email in the past 2 - 3 months that issued no more email directives, or they are inserting new legal language in the IO's to indemnify the merchant of Spam lawsuits.

I'm suprised that it took them this long to send that email. Financial related companies were the first to start pulling email entirely.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I got an e mail only also reminding e mailing is not permitted and will not be paid.(and probably mass mailed to others to remind them also)
    I don't have a mailing list for the site they are on, so not an issue with that. I am concerned that for the first time they have extended all 3 or 4 of my last leads to them though.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Witches??? They're hunting for witches?? Should I be afraid? How does this help to find us?

The name "Ameriquest" does sound suspicious...sort of like the "Patriot Act" which is an anti-Patriot act.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

But my point was that I've never sent an email marketing campaign, never, not for anybody.

I received the same email yesterday stating no more email campaigns for Ameriquest, but, I've never run one.

CJ sent me an email stating, and I quote, "On behalf of Ameriquest's affiliate program, Commission Junction has done some automated reporting that identifies publishers who may be using email as a way of driving transactions for Ameriquest."

How does CJ track something that never existed? Doesn't it make anybody wonder how they track sales, if they are so far off base on this issue?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What the heck. Ameriquest Mortgage thinks some affiliates might blast out 5 million mortgage spamms a day to their Opt-out lists. Who'd a thunk this of our fellow affiliates. Anything smelling or Mortgage or loans in a e-mail header gets trashed before reading by me and 200 million others. Guess Ameriquest must not be getting their own e-mails opened and guess it must be due to affiliates spamming their potential leads.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

There is some sort of major spam lawsuit going on - anounced Tues a.m. on the business news channel AOL versus email spammers, big bucks involved - I was thinking that their email to their affiliates may have been triggered by that action - just an extra precautionary reminder on their part.

Abigail

Super Sh#t Stirrer

LOL

I especially like the time noted that your witching-post was posted (midnight)

I did not receive this email from Ameriquest. I do absolutely no email campaigning although I think that it didn't matter if you did or not.....just a generic email to all involved to say, "hey, don't email people or we will cut you out of our will. Not that we are dying just yet.... "

As far as the program goes, I have been very pleased with Ameriquest so far. I have been promoting mortgage sites for a few years now so I do have some background in this.

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

They may be senidng these emails if they see an unusually high CTR or no impression data, which might indicate links are going in text-only emails or similar.

Since mortgages are in the top 5 spam subjects of all time, I guess they have to be very careful on this one.

Actually I'd think it's a positive step by the merchant.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Dynamoo - "positive step"?

which part, stopping the spam emails, or accusing people of something they don't do?

I agree on stopping the spam, but, if it means CJ saying I'm a spammer, when I'm not, or any other affiliate, that's a different issue.

MJCB - could be on the CTR, as I host their banner on my site (to speed the load time up, some people still have 33.6's out there).

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    could be on the CTR, as I host their banner on my site (to speed the load time up, some people still have 33.6's out there).

That sounds likely! Since Ameriquest's so touchy, and they have involved CJ, you probably should let CJ know about that practice. CJ may tell you that you have to call the banners from qksrv, but it seems that the alternative is to be branded a spammer!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Sorry, I meant a positive step that they're cracking down on spammers, not picking on people.

stevem224, are you remembering to include the 1x1 tracking bug on your site? If not that could show up as a statistical anomo.. anoma.. thingie.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Dynamoo - yea, I have all the tracking stuff in place, even had a programmer set something up in my CGI so I know where and when someone clicked, by the search engine they used, by their ip address, and by their isp company.

I informed CJ that the banner is hosted on my site, and CPC's drive the clickthroughs as well. I'll post their follow-up message.

I got the same email. My guess is that their way of identifying potential spammers is to look for affiliates with clicks and sales but only a small number or no impressions.

Regards,

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

ABW Ambassador
    I applaud any reasonable attempts to crack down on spam e-mail but if this thing looks like a knee-jerk witch hunt I'll take them off my site, even though I didn't get the specific "accusation" letter and even though I've never sent a single commercial e-mail in my life.

I did get their general e-mail saying don't send spam e-mail etc. or we might take legal action against you. They should do this, but they shouldn't blast a message like that to everyone. Sends an unwritten message that they're trigger happy with the lawsuits and I better watch my backside no matter how clean I am.

I would love to see merchants expend this kind of energy routing parasites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wouldn't want them trigger-happy with lawsuits in the name of routing parasites, either. It'd be no more fun to get an email falsely accusing you of being a parasite than it is to get one falsely accusing you of spamming--and no more productive!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

quote:
    I guess the moral is to be careful who you send spam to, you never know who might get it - or who it gets forwarded to!

I thought the whole idea of sending spam was that you didn't have to be careful who you sent it to

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread