Boy, I could sure use some advice. I'm in the process of getting signed up for the CJ datafeed and they've asked me if I want the entire datafeed for my all my advertisers or just my top five producers. I'm signed up with hundreds of advertisers and I'm worried the entire datafeed might be overwhelming. However, if I had a datafeed on all my advertisers, I would be tempted to create pages for them that I would not have in the past.

Can someone who gets the entire datafeed give me some advice?

Thanks.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    Did they contact you or you contacted them?

Both. LOL

I was on the wait list for the datafeeds. I heard from them yesterday. Now I need to respond back with what I want.

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Are they gonna send you more later if you just choose your top five?

if they do, you would like to just accept the first five and then ask for more later.
    unless CJ don't like that it would be my suggestion.

you would like to concentrate on your first five datafeed first then work on others.
    it's overwhelming if you get all of it at once.
    lol...

"God Bless the United States Arm Forces"

Thank god for them protecting us and live our life safely in a daily basis!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The feed for a lot of advertisers is HUGE! Mine's about 64Megs, zipped! It includes Catalog City, though, which takes over half of the space. If you don't have CC yours may be smaller even with more merchants, depending on how many products are involved.

That said...IT'S WORTH IT to get the feed for all your merchants! You can promote all kinds of products that ordinarily wouldn't be worth making special pages for (along with all the ones you *would* ordinarily make special pages for, of course).

Plus, you may find some gems hidden in there. I have some items selling well now that never did well off of a single page. On the other hand, there are products that do *better* with just a single page and an individualized sales pitch.

But the only way to know which is which is to run 'em all through and see what sells. Once you see what sells from feed-driven pages, you may decide to only present certain merchants/products that way. But there'll almost certainly be a lot more than five that you'll still want the feeds for!

The only exception would be if you're on di*lup. Di*lup takes hours to do what cable does in less than 10 minutes...

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by 7-days:
    I was on the wait list for the datafeeds. I heard from them yesterday. Now I need to respond back with what I want.

I am waiting in the waiting list for too long. Haven't heard from them yet.

quote:

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Leader: Frank Sinatra is twisting in his grave, lyrics from "My Way"

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
    I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing
    Each time I find myself layin' flat on my face
    I just pick myself up and get back in the race

I think Porter Wagoner sang it to, Just to stay on topic, where can one see an example of Data Feed a supplied by CJ?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Leader: Frank Sinatra is twisting in his grave, lyrics from "My Way"

Sorry, but Not!

It's from "Only One You"/T.G. Sheppard. Here's the whole stanza...

"I've been a king
    and I've been a pauper
    and everything there is in between.

It took some time
    To know what is timeless
    But I've found you and learned what that means"

I'll never leave ya girl cuz I know the catch:
    The wonders of this world don't ever come with a match"

I'd say those words (and melody!) are sufficiently different from My Way (which I happen to have on a 45 by Sinatra), that he shouldn't be doing any spinning. It really isn't anything like Only One You.

Since I found out who sang the song *I'm* thinking of (TG Sheppard), though, I'll add the proper credit. (Although you can see why I didn't put the rest of the lyrics as a sig )

As for a sample of the datafeed, I don't know--I don't think they have a sample posted anywhere. But they may have put one somewhere in 6.0...

I asked for mine in mid-March, and CJ had it set up right away. My initial ask was for a complete feed, but I couldn't open the file due to the size, so I asked for only my top 5.

I also asked CJ if I could change to have the feed for different 5 if necessary, they didn't answer this question directly, but they said... "In the future our system is going to be breaking down Advertisers in individual files in which you will be able to download much easier. This function should be live around mid April." I didn't hear anything further about this.

Although I've been getting the feed regularly, I haven't even had a chance to look at how to take the advantage of the feed just yet, which I should kick my behind to do so.

Starting from top 5 is probably a good idea, then ask for a change when you feel appropriate.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Problem is, all of my top sites have no products so I have to now guess what top five datafeeds I want.

I just checked all the sites I'm signed up for and 273 have products!!!!! Imagine how big that file would be.

So, anyone want to suggest (PM me if you want) some good datafeeds for starters, it would be much appreciated.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread