I will keep this anonymous for now.

I contacted CJ today to ask them to update Merchant X who announced on or around the 1st of April that they would be reducing their cookie from 45 days to 1, effictive on the 8th (of April). It is now the 16th and the info has not been changed/updated in Merchant X's Details Window.

I need the info updated because I received a personal note from Merchant X (CEO) stating that they were going to revamp their affiliate program and make it again, more appealing.

This was CJ's reply...

quote:

Jonathon,

We will not be modifying (Merchant X)s detail page on CJ. It is the advertiser who is responsible for making the changes to their terms and to their detail page. Any changes that need to be made will be handled from their end.

Some questions begging to be answered are:

Is the merchant just lagging/lazy/too busy in getting the information updated or are they deliberately misleading potential new signups.

I am willing to leave that unanswered as their are obviously several possibilities. The skeptic in me wants to think the worst.

Here is a question to which I would love some feed back.

If a Merchant is slow in updating information after making a change to their program, isn't it CJ's responsibility to make sure that what is presented is accurate and a fair representation of what they're offering the potential publisher(s)?

Is not CJ's integrity and credibility as much at stake as the Merchant/Advertiser?

Every new (I won' even say newbie) potential publisher will be under the impression that Merchant X is running an affiliate campaign with a 45 day cookie instead of a 1 day cookie (since April 8th), and CJ is fully aware of this fact due to my disclosure to them...

What the heck is that?

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Seems to me CJ has a duty to its publishers to ensure this information is accurate. After all, this information appears on CJ's site, not the merchant's.

CJ can see what the total transaction amount is, the commission paid for that transaction should be what is indicated on that merchant's page. If it isn't, it seems CJ would be responsible for taking reasonable actions to make the necessary corrections to the page, or deactivating that merchant until they make the corrections.

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

If the merchants are responsible for so much, why don't they just dump CJ and take it in house. If I were CJ I'd do everything I could to keep the merchant and the affiliate dependant on my very existance.

The more I learn the more I am amazed at the way some things are run.

Guess we can't expect miracles overnight.

But these questions must be raised constantly, both to let the newbies know caution and to let the AM's and Networks know they are watched.

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

WOW!! I always thought CJ maintained that information. I know most merchants are honest but this is kind of scary that a merchant can put whatever info they want to tell an affiliate. God only knows compliance doesn't have the time to keep tabs on all the merchants program details. They are to busy reading ABW to find out which merchants are out of compliance

Eeeeeks, I was joking. I didn't mean that. Ut OH, there go my sales for awhile. When will I learn?

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

Boy, I really don't know about CJ. Some trusted third party provider, huh.

I think that they are and should be legally liable for providing a vehicle that can be and apparently is used to give misleading and inacurate information thereby enabling fraud to be done to affiliates.

The very least they should do is put up a disclaimer on every merchant page stating that this is unverified information provided by the merchant.

I smell class action in the wind if they don't take more responsibility for ensuring that merchant programs are truthfully represented and fully disclosed.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I always assumed that the cookie duration displayed on the advertiser page would be drawn automatically from some field entry. The same field entry that went into the actual cookie technology data (you know what I mean).

I don't see why CJ should make it possible to define two durations, one for the technology implementation and one for public viewing...

Jonathon, have you checked that the cookie is expiring after 1 day - maybe they haven't implemented the change yet?

That is a good question MJCB, as I haven't checked to see if the cookie (expiry) has changed (don't know how, for one thing), but keep in mind CJ's response...

quote:

Jonathon,

We will not be modifying (Merchant X)s detail page on CJ. It is the advertiser who is responsible for making the changes to their terms and to their detail page. Any changes that need to be made will be handled from their end.

Theoretically, for the sake of this discussion, it is irrelevant whether or not said merchant has actually reduced their cookie, isn't it?

(Someone tell me how and I will do it however, and if I did not make this clear, it started when Merchant X sent an email through CJ's system publicly announcing the shortened cookie duration.)

CJ has made clear that whether or not Merchant X has made the change or not, it is their (the merchant's) responsibility to update their information, AND EFFECTIVELY, POLICE THEMSELVES, and that they are not going to be a watchdog over their own (affiliate management) program and what is displayed/represented.

For me, this is a slam dunk to do the right thing, and CJ is demonstrating that they don't even care if they fuel the conspiracy theories and mistrust issues that are growing amongst publishers/affiliates.

If there was any shred of doubt left whatsoever about which side CJ advocates for (Merchants, Publishers, Themselves), this pretty much extinguishes what is left, eh?

Is this not a gigantic can of worms or am I overstating???

Todd?????

Wayne? Unethical, or Best Practice for both the Merchant and CJ?

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    The chart defining cookie durations is not editable and represent the current value, merchant is responsible for advertising and descriptive text on their CJ presentation page, sometimes merchants post info there, but the chart is the actual value to trust.

Fer

quote:
    The chart defining cookie durations

Don't follow you. Chart? What cha mean, chart?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    I was referring to the Table at the bottom of the CJ merchant page.

Fer

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread