I have received quite a few requests lately for a feed/product catalog.

I would like to know from those that use feeds/product catalogs, what you like and dislike that other Advertisers do/don't do.

Thanks,
    Troy McDonald
    http://www.HobbyTron.com

ABW Ambassador
    1) Make it available outside the CJ interface. That will allow you a lot of flexibility.
    2) Provide us at least the following fields in the file:
    a) Unique Product ID or SKU
    b) Product Name
    c) Description
    d) Thumb-nail Image
    e) Lareger Image (optional)
    f) URL (special characters encoded, include actual CJ PID or a place holder)
    g) Category
    h) Subcategory (optional)
    i) Regular Price
    j) Sale Price
    k) Keywords (optional)
    l) Besting selling flag - yes/no (optional)
    3) Provide it through FTP or HTTP access, not through emails. Because FTP/HTTP download can be automated.

Hope this helps.

Ditto! What KC said!

"God Bless the United States Arm Forces"

Thank god for them protecting us and live our life safely in a daily basis!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

With people saying "make it available outside of CJ", it brings up a few questions.

(I can assume the answers, but I would like to hear what the real answers are from real people.)

1. What is the reason for having the feed outside of CJ?

2. It seems that most places that have data feeds keep them from the general affiliate, why is that? (Either a paid option or username/password.)

I assume that part of it is to pay for the bandwidth and to keep out those that aren't really going to do anything, as well as keep competition from getting a hold of product info.

Distributing a "changing" password seems like a hassle in some sense for both us and end user to keep track of.

I do know that the feed would be free through CJ for a very small amount of affiliates. The other affiliate would not want to pay any fee to for any feeds.

But, with only a small percentage of affiliates being supers, most would get the feed free anyway.

The question comes down to, how many of the less-actives would become active to justify the cost of making it available outside of CJ. ??

Troy McDonald
    Affiliate Manager
    troy@HobbyTron.com
    1-877-606-8766 ext 123
    http://www.HobbyTron.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by HobbyTron.com:
    1. What is the reason for having the feed outside of CJ?

If it's within CJ, those of us either not willing to pony out $250 or make $10K in sales/month, won't have access to it. Put it on an FTP site, and we can all use it.

quote:
    The question comes down to, how many of the less-actives would become active to justify the cost of making it available outside of CJ. ??

Generally, that would include me. I am starting to build datafed sites, but don't have the volume on CJ (yet) to get the free feeds.

For your specific site, I'd have to look into it. I haven't thought about doing a hobby/toy-related site, but it seems like it could be quite lucrative.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    Another reason would be to have separate feeds for each merchants. Not all merchants update their feed everyday. Because CJ send one big file combing all merchants, it is waste of time & bandwidth to check every product from a million or so rows to find out which one was updated.

CJ data structure have a lot of unwanted/unnecessary fields. If you we do not want to use 60% of the data, we still have to download it. For custom feeds like Mondera, we got the option to pick fields we want.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread