ABW Ambassador
    Recently I visited a friends house and used their computer. I went to one of my sites, and clicked on a barnes and noble product link(befree). A small window from whenu appeared, advertising a half.com banner (cj advertiser). This friend of mine has kazaza (sp?) lite (I think) installed on their computer. The links to cj advertisers, including the whenu ad, went to a "page not found" for quikserv.

Not long ago, one of the advertisers through the cj network, future quest, left. They also made a statement at another forum that mentioned how some of the transactions may not be getting tracked due to IE6, third party cookies, and they were starting their own program so their affiliates would get credit for more transactions.

With all this said...

I have increased the number of pages at my sites by 150 pages or better in the last year. My traffic has increased as well. Yet, I am making less since the turn of this year (the last five months). The holidays were not as impressive as they were the year before, either. Transactions for my websponsors.com advertisers, and befree transactions, have steadily increased, though the vast majority of my advertisers come from the cj network.

Is there something wrong? Is there something that has happened to seriously effect transactions, and the tracking of transactions? Is there so many kazaza users that almost none of my traffic is converting? whats up?

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

[This message was edited by Big Chuck on April 25, 2003 at 12:00 PM.]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >The links to cj advertisers, including the whenu
    >ad, went to a "page not found" for quikserv.

This is the effect of the kazaa-lite provided "poisoned hosts file".

Approx 2.7% of your revenue (and CJ's, etc) is disappearing into a black hole because of poisoned hosts files loaded on peoples computers.

But never fear, I have an idea. I'll get back to you. :^)

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. Do you have a fix for the problem?

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    If the fix involves a BOMB at all parasitic home sites - COUNT ME IN~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    I really do believe that my traffic is being redirected, and that there is somethingwrong with CJ's tracking. I use to dismiss this idea, but not anymore.

I also think that the average web surfer does not know anything else to do but disallow cookies when it comes to IE6. I thought the major affiliate networks had some typeof compliancy worked out with MS?

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    Drewbert,
    what about the 2.7%? Where did you get this figure? In my opinion it must be more if the redirection through kazaa and others works.
    Once Todd announced here on this board that cj.com has affiliates which earn more than $100,000 each month. In my opinion this can only be parasites. And if this is the point, it must be more than 2.7%

carneol

I like traffic lights
    Carneol,

The 2.7% figure is the number of surfers who have a "poisoned hosts file" installed on their computer. This BLACK HOLES all traffic heading to CJ. No revenue for you, or the dupers, OR CJ.

This is not at all related to the revenue stealers. Figure out the percentage they're stealing off you, then ADD an extra 2.7% of lost traffic on top.

>Once Todd announced here on this board that
    >cj.com has affiliates which earn more than
    >$100,000 each month. In my opinion this can only
    >be parasites.

Careful, Sunshine!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet the BHO's with commission vacuum cleaners are the one's sucking up the CJ 100,00.00 monthly commission checks. Some of CJ's old line spammers do pretty good too even with all the spamm stopping attempts by the ISP's and websurfers.

Want to make big money quick...pay Wayne for his BHO consulting advice and buy into his Afftrac cross network reporting service. See ..I even throw Wayne a plus or two.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Drewbert, have you ran any tests past the one day?

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

I like traffic lights
    I'm still collecting the same stats, just haven't collated them since that day.

ABW Ambassador
    cool..

interested to know more..

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

ABW Ambassador
    Magazine articles like the Jan 2003 article in PC world magazine featuring Spybots Search and Destroy software with its FREE download, and others like it doesn't help sales matters eithor...

While these programs do get rid of the unwanted pop-ups and pests, they also detect all of our tracking cookies, and includes them on the list of scumware to be "fixed" .

Why WOULDN'T anyone "cleaning house " on their system delete our cookies ?

ABW Ambassador
    Come tothink of it, Lisa, my friend did have a pop-up ad killer on their machine. I wonder if there is another method, apart from direct sales, that we can make money?

I know... how about run a marketing scam! Now that's a fresh idea! har!

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I wonder if there is another method, apart from direct sales, that we can make money?

I have been contemplating that same thought myself lately, except for "we" part LOL

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens to the affiliate fraternity if there's no residuals? How much of the income comes from the repeat sales down the road, versus the first hit?

I almost think you have to start planning for cookie deletion as a growing mainstream habit, even if the users don't understand, browsers and helper agents will clean the cookies for them.

I sympathise with this predicament, and I'm new to affiliates, so I'm still exploring - but the thought occurred that relying on a cookie to guarantee your repeat income was always a pretty slippery path.

My point is that the solution seems to lie more in developing a fair and transparent market system all round. Affiliates perform a valuable economic service. For it to die for want of a cookie seems unneccessary to me.

Strangely enough I kind of think it's actually early days yet - I hear the anguish of lost revenues, and margins getting slim, but even so...

ross

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Want to make big money quick...pay Wayne for his BHO consulting advice and buy into his Afftrac cross network reporting service. See ..I even throw Wayne a plus or two.

parasite consultant

Back to the KazaaLite thing -

One of the few things in our favor is the fact that when KazaaLite is installed, the user actually has to put a checkmark in the box to add these entries into the HOSTS file.

Most people are impatient and run through an installation rapid click style. If the installation is done with the default settings, the host file is not modified.

Danski

rossH
    quote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but what happens to the affiliate fraternity if there's no residuals? How much of the income comes from the repeat sales down the road, versus the first hit?

and
    quote:
    I sympathise with this predicament, and I'm new to affiliates, so I'm still exploring - but the thought occurred that relying on a cookie to guarantee your repeat income was always a pretty slippery path.

From my own personal checking of the the "Action Referral Occurrences" (also known as keep=yes or keep=no), I think you'll find that extremely few CJ merchants give you commission from repeat sales. Most will only pay for the first sale (unless the customer returns through your site) reqardless of whether the customer buys another 3,4,5 times or whatever in the cookie period.

Battling through theifware, keep=no, out of stock items, deactivated merchants and the jungle of great merchants and bad apples to try to make a cent.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread