Animal Lover
    If you were going to target an aussie audience - would you go for a .com name or a .com.au ?

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    .com.au

but @ $140/2 years compared to $30 for .com
    (AU$'s)

If it's a business site, def. .com.au.. if it's just a fan site or something like that.. perhaps .com

Also. how are you acquiring your visitors? word of mouth or SE's? most Aussies would prob type .com.au before .com

Animal Lover
    Thanks for that Pete - got a friend who wants to start an Oz business site targeting Aussies. I have warned him that most Aussies aren't particularly fond of buying stuff over the net...a bit slow on the uptake...will see how it goes.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have warned him that most Aussies aren't particularly fond of buying stuff over the net...a bit slow on the uptake...will see how it goes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the? I don't find that true at ALL.

Animal Lover
    Really SamyT? I've always had that perception - none of my friends would even consider buying online stuff...maybe my friends are in the minority or perhaps it's the products you are selling and they are getting more net savvy.

I'm open to suggestions otherwise.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, most people I know wouldn't consider buying online. But then, there are a lot of people in Australia that I don't know.

I would, but only because I've been in this biz quite a few years and know my way around.

One hurdle would be the name recognition of australian online merchants.. I would have a hard time coming up with more than maybe 3 names of australian online merchants. (I know Peter Alexander and EziBuy, but only because my GF gets their catalogues).

Animal Lover
    I think I would buy stuff that I already know I want eg a book I'm looking for, software, posters...I would also use shopfast to shop for groceries online because I already know the brands of stuff I want to get...but I wouldn't window shop online - ie I wouldn't buy shoes, clothes...

Which is why I was amazed when I saw merchants with affiliate programs for shoes (eg Zappos) and clothes - and I read about affiliates who convert okay with them...so I guess it's the US public who don't mind window shopping online and trying stuff they only see a picture of...

Oscar

PS I'm glad Haiko set this section up - only problem is that I can't see it in the main lounge section when I log into the homepage...have you noticed that? Or am I just blind and can't see it hidden somewhere?

ABW Ambassador
    Geez, just about everyone I know including myself buys stuff online - I've just done all my Christmas shopping! Aside from that, I have a pretty unprofessional looking website that I sell products through and I sell to heaps of Aussies with no problems. Then there's eBay... 1000s of Australians buy stuff on ebay every day - I'd call that window shopping too (have you ever read some of the product descriptions?!?).

Our merchants on the other hand, are mostly crap. Very few well known business (and lesser known..) have professional looking store sites - Australian stores online have a long way to go I think.

If I was you, I would also buy a .com.au domain!

I would only buy a .com if you were to target the whole world or quite a few countries.

Affiliate Programs Directory
    Pay Per Click Search Engines Directory - listing over 200 search engines
    Webmaster Tools & Resources Directory

go with the .com.au so surfers who use the "pages from Australia" feature on google will find you.

Where do you buy .com.au and aren't there certain conditions attached?

I looked at this and I couldn't see that I was eligible for a .com.au address, not having a physical presence in Oz or being an Australian business or citizen.

So.. I went for plan B which was to find an Australian host, with the servers physically located in Australia. This was trickier that you'd think as most Ozzie hosts seem to have their kit physically located in giant server farms in the US.

In the end I went with Webarama who do both Austrlian and US-based servers. Customer support is very good, but the servers seem a little slow from this side of the planet.. I guess some of that is just network latency. Servers are located in Melbourne btw.

Umm I haven't actually done my site yet though
    ________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't bother finding an Australian server as I believe most Australian businesses use USA webhosts anyway.

If I was targetting the australian market I'd just do it in the page titles, keywords and content - I wouldn't necessarily get a .com.au either.

**Update** No Parasiteware T-Shirt yet but I DID get some nice postcards from Sandra!

'Moo

go for an Austrian server, the rest of the world has trouble telling the difference anyway...

(In the early '80s there was a wine scandal in Austria where people were found to have been adding anti-freeze to white wine. In the persuing stink several Australian wine merchants went bankrupt.)

(And Austrian wine was never the same again once they stopped....)

Heheh.. that reminds me of this T-Shirt I own. (See below).

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Oh I love that t shirt!

Physical presence in Au? Can I visit for a week or two? ;-)

Hi,

Going back to hosting.

Why is the Australian hosting so expensive? compared to the UK or US?

The best price I have found for a .com.au url is $66 for 2 years. But I cannot find a reasonably priced host.

Can anybody recommend an Australian host that can provide 100MB of space and a bandwidth of 3GB a month?

Or is there a cheap US host that will let me purchase .com.au names from them aswell?

Thanks

Daniel
    UK affiliate.

Hi,

Going back to hosting.

Why is the Australian hosting so expensive? compared to the UK or US?

The best price I have found for a .com.au url name is $66 for 2 years. But I cannot find a reasonably priced host.

Can anybody recommend an Australian host that can provide 100MB of space and a bandwidth of 3GB a month?

Or is there a cheap US host that will let me purchase .com.au names from them aswell?

Thanks

Daniel
    UK affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    Am not sure you can even get a .com.au domain name but even if you did, why not just purchase it somewhere and host it with a U.S host..... ANY U.S host?

I've just joined this forum and happened to see your request for an Aussie hosting company.

http://eprofitnews.com/ozhost will get you hosting for $4 a month. Not sure how much diskspace that is. The owner lives in Melb.

Also they have .au Domains from Only $48/2 years.

Cheers.
    GaryH

Very sneaky method employed to slip your affiliate link in there GaryH

The same mentality made you overlook the main issues in this thread which included

Australian BASED servers

Go bother some other forum with your spam mate!

I hope the other Aussie members of this forum aren't branded unnecessarily by your pathetic trolling

As I mentioned in my post, I'm new here. Is there a rule I didnt notice about not using affiliate links? Please enlighten.

I came to this forum via ABestWeb which is all about affiliate programs, which makes your comment somewhat confusing to me. No doubt someone will be able to shine a light here.

Gary.

ABW Ambassador
    Generally we don't post affiliate links here... it's as good as

Unless you have some fantastic script to offer or something of value, we generally don't troll for subaffiliates either.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread