Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Just curious if you guys target Aussie buyers on any of your websites? I'm asking because I may be a merchant with an affiliate program in the new year.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope. I'm all US based. I do know of a group of affiliates who do promote various Australian merchants.

Animal Lover
    No - for the same reason I thought that Aussies don't like buying stuff over the net which is why I've always targeted US.

Oscar

i do.
    but i mainly join programs in a network only.
    i get checks monthly from commission monster.

work great !

http://8n.nu

ABW Ambassador
    The stuff I sell online, although from Australia, I sell in US dollars as I sell a great deal of stuff to Americans and Aussies have a separate order form in Aussie money - If I were to fully go into it, I'd be selling Aussie stuff but it'd probably be in U.S dollars.

I'd like to target Aussies but there's a dearth of merchants out there. I get some sales through eBay.com.au and that's about it.

It's worth targetting because it's a decent size market.. here are some comparisons of population and average purchasing power (GDP per head).
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>United States - 290 million - $37,600
    <LI>United Kingdom - 60 million - $25,300
    <LI>Canada - 32 million - $29,400
    <LI>Australia - 20 million - $27,000
    <LI>New Zealand - 4 million - $20,200
    <LI>Ireland - 4 million - $30,500[/list]

In other words, there's 120 million relatively wealthy consumers outside of the US market who speak English as their first language. I can smell money that needs to be made

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Animal Lover
    Hey Moo,

that's an insight on the stats - now you've got me thinking about an Aussie site...

never say never...
    Oscar

Hi Oscar,

The Australian Affiliate community is growing stronger by the day and affiliates are working together to convince the Ozzie buyer that online shopping is a heck of a lot safer than having your card swiped thru some offline merchants' machines.

Even some of the major brandname Shops don't have online ordering facilities and one of the largest who did have that facility, David Jones, recently pulled the feature except for Christmas Hamper orders.

We still have a long way to go but we're on the job.

From my aspect being an affiliate having sites targetted at both US and Oz markets my biggest problem with US networks is the frequent Denial of request to take on a merchant because I am listed as an Australian based company although some sites are purely aimed at the US. When we lodge a complaint it falls on deaf ears.

Surely, if a particular affiliate has no black marks for fraud etc. against them, why do merchants not take on every affiliate who applies?

Ranting now so back to you

Supporting the Australian Affiliate marketing industry

Animal Lover
    Welcome Ecash - glad to see more Aussies on the playing field. Yes I'm starting to feel that there is a growing market in Oz - we are slow to catch on.

I have had the same problem with some merchants who refuse purely on the basis on country and I've given up trying to convince them. Still, I've had success with ebay (.com) who initially refused my application based on country and I forgot all about them but they've recently come back to me and offered to reverse that decision and take me on provided I ensure that ALL my traffic was directed towards US customers.

I replied telling them that it is the world wide web for a reason - that I can't guarantee that ALL my visitors are going to be from the US, but that I do promote only US based merchants on those sites and have never had a problem...

Having said that, the .com.au domains are so expensive...I nearly died when I saw what the cost was...I am still wondering if a .com name wouldn't work just as well so long as you specify from the start that you are catering to an Oz based clientele...

Oscar

Animal Lover
    PS - I have thought about getting a US based PO box type address to see if I could get around some merchants who want a US based address...but have decided that it complicates things because they often assume that you are then a US resident for tax purposes so tax wise, it kind of gets messy so I've avoided that route...

PPS Also found that once they start to realize that your sites are making money, they seem to forget that you are Oz based and want you on their team...funny that.

I decided to see if there is a market out there and added an Aussie page to my site since my UK page does okay...

http://au.shoppingbookmarks.com

We'll see how it goes...

Greetings,

We're a U.S. merchant with a Linkshare affiliate program. We get occasional orders from Austrawlia. Have never had a bogus order, vs. Africa say, we never had a good one. So we would welcome more!

peter@swizarmy.com

P.S. Enjoyed visiting in 1999 and off to Brisbane in July.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KIMarketing:
    I decided to see if there is a market out there and added an Aussie page to my site since my UK page does okay...

http://www.shoppingbookmarks.com/australia.cfm

We'll see how it goes...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi guys & gals,
    I run a small msn group
    and like to target both
    us and aussie sites.
    I also have a few target
    canada & uk links

I have found a few aussie affiliate sites
    on my own, plus I got a few from
    ClixGalore

My aussie sites are
    HMV Australia
    http://groups.msn.com/MaccatoshWebNe...hmvonline.msnw

BuyQuick
    http://groups.msn.com/MaccatoshWebNetwork/buyquick.msnw

Games Market [ Clixgalore]
    http://groups.msn.com/MaccatoshWebNe...gamerdome.msnw

comissionmonster.com.au has some AU stuff

I didn't intend my first comment on these boards to be negative, but I'm afraid it is.

I purchased Chris Malta's 'World Wide Brands' in the expectation of finding some lucrative drop ship products to promote to the US market. However on going through the merchants and their products I find that I am virtually locked out of the market, due to being an Australian.

I'm now looking for other avenue's of getting into that market. I tried PPC with adwords for a few months, and made a profit, but it is too much like gambling for me.

I also purchased Chris Malta's 'World Wide Brands' and have also been very disapointed.
    I approached over 20 US companies on the list not so much to drop ship but to buy product from their list of wholesalers.
    I had one reply.
    I approached world wide brands to see if they would help me out, after all they sold me the lists as a going concern and promote themselves as "world wide" brands. Received no help what so ever.
    I now regard Chris Malta and world wide brands as just another internet con artist in the same vein as the people who sell similar crap lists on ebay.

And speaking of con artists, it's interesting to see Chris Malta's name crop up on sites promoting other dubious products, there seems to be a circle where these people are recommending each others products mainly through email spam.

Michael.

The problem with a lot of merchants is their complete and utter ignorance of the World Wide Web.

I run a number of sites including a .com based in the UK but selling to Australia, US and UK with many merchants listed offering delivery world wide. Many of my search listings are in the top ten without resorting to PPC (even the wierd ones! )

The problem is denial to apply because of my location. If merchants realised that just because a business is based in one country doesn't mean that it is restricted to that country and that servers are worldwide (I use four in three different countries)then merchants may get more business online.

I was amused the other day on Yahoo to see I was very high up for "Grocery Delivery in Reno NV" which I thought was hilarious. Especially as I am 5,000 miles away!

It is interesting to read your comments of finding it difficult to find merchands.
    I run several sites all based and hosted here and I have never been denied an affiliate application. Also never had any trouble with getting paid.

My main site is fairly high profile in the health sector.
    I'd be interested to know in which market you guys are having trouble.

It is sure hard to sell something here in Australia. About 50% of our site visitors are Australians but 90% of revenue comes from the US.

Cheerio,

Peete

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I target Aussie buyers and US/Canadian buyers and UK buyers plus soon I'll also target EU buyers. Next year I'll have a dedicated Japanese series of pages for companies in Japan and the layout will be in Japanese.

For Australia I use Clixgalore and DGM Australia.

can targeting only Aussie buyers works? I have a same site in UK and so I wish to target Aussie buyers with the site in Australia

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I honestly don't see how having the site based in Australia will make a blind bit of difference. There's nothing really between a .com.au and a .com as far as the www goes.

I run a .com with Australian pages. It generates sales. Why change for a geographic domain?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Why change for a geographic domain?
    Because of the rumor, perhaps true, that Google (and possibly other engines) will give preferential treatment to sites based in the countries of their geographic-based sister engines.
    So, based on that theory, a .au site would do better in Google.au than a .com site would, all else being equal.

The important thing to find out is, which version do Aussies use the most--Google.au or Google.com?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Animal Lover
    I think google actually defaults based on your IP address. So for me even if I type in google.com in the browser address I get directed to google.com.au

Not sure if it's just me or if it's something that google does. And yes google does seem to pick up on .au (if you search for pages from Australia when you do a search). .au addresses are a lot more of a hassle to get - you need to be a registered business with an ABN plus the rates are alot more expensive.

I think Dynamoo encountered that problem - he couldn't get the .au names because he wasn't Australian...

Plus there's now a big push for an Aussie based search engine - SENSIS is pushing this big time with ads in the media...not sure if it will entice searchers to move from google but it's certainly getting more air time than MSN did when Brother Bill came up with his SE...

Oscar

When you say Sensis, you may as well say Telstra as they are 100% owned by the big T.

Cheers,
    BAD

Hi.

Yes, if you are in OZ, you get to see google.com.au

But it has two buttons: search Australia or search world. Default is world.

To get in the Australia index you need to be hosted in Australia.

I have a bunch of sites, with Australia in the name, Australia in registration address, hosted in Canada, and only .com, but none of which appear in the Oz index. I emailed Google Australia and they replied that the host location is crucial in determining whether you get in.

And beware of hosting companies, even with Australia in the domain name. Half the ones I checked were still hosted in the US.

Re affiliates, I've had best luck with commissionmonster.com.au.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast