I thought I would throw this question out to all of you, since I've never had a question answered properly from the Performics team (most are never even responded to). Anyway, here's the deal:

I build mostly individual product links for my Performics merchants. Most of the time they work, but for Chiasso (which I send about 60,000 impressions to a month) something is wrong.

The links to Chiasso seem to only work the second time they are clicked. The first time they are clicked, they take the visitor to their homepage. Because of this, my visitors are assuming that my links are broken and I have not converted on any of the last 1,000 clicks.

Can anyone give any advice or solution other than just dropping the links? We are half way through the shopping season and I feel like I am missing out on sales every day I wait to hear back from Performics.

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if this applies or not but have you checked from one or multiple computers?

I have a home network and on one of my computers I'll see where the first time I click on a new link I'll get a not found 404 error but the second time results in it going to the merchant correctly. This only happens on one of my pcs "sometimes". I've never seen it on the other PC.

Perhaps, it is a pc problem. Get someoine else to check your links from another computer and see what they tell you.

1000 clicks and no sales does indicate something is wrong. Even if you routed them to the home page instead of to the direct link you should still have a shot at the sale and have a cookie placed.

I questioned their immediate redirect and never put them up. Someone a while back said they converted for them so maybe you can search this forum for the merchant and tie it back to who that was - then PM them.

Happypoon,

Thanks for your comments.

It was me that said they converted well in the past (which is why I put up so many links).

Regarding the effect from different PCs, I have had friends check it from multiple PCs in multiple parts of the country. The same results that I see at both home and at work.

ABW Ambassador
    I see similar weirdnesses from time to time with performics links... I pretty much stick with home page links with performics..and even then its iffy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It would seem that if this only happens for Chiasso, that this is a problem on Chiasso's side.

I guess what you would have to do is at least try each build your own link you make for Chiasso once. Cause it seems that everytime after that, you are taken to the product level.

I had the same think happen with the one Chiasso link I have up on my site. I wondered why it wasn't converting, and checked it one day. Sure enough, it took me the home page.

I went into the link at Performance and edited to make sure the URL is correct. It's been working fine every since.

Something I've noticed is that with some merchants you can open a browser window go to their site and use the URLs. However, Chiasso seems to be one that you absolutely have to get the URL from that window that opens when you go into create the link.

I hate that box! You can't maximize it and every time you hit the back button in the links creator at Performics it goes back to the home page so you have to start over with a new search. A lot of times I'm working within a section. So, I'll have the list of products from a search that I want to work with. If I use the box, I have to start from scratch each time.

I'm not complaining too much though. Those direct product links are awesome. Some that I put up two months ago are performing extremely well!

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Tracy,

When that little window reopens to the home page, just hit "back" in the window and it will take you back to the last product you worked on. Hit back again and it will take you to the department.

I love these things too...especially after I learned that trick!

Nick

Cool Beans! Thank you, Nick!

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

I'm learning more about this problem. The product link doesn't work until you have a cookie. So the link will appear to work when you click on it until you get a chiasso cookie. Then it will work with all Chiasso links after that. When your cookie expires, you'll have the same problem again, where the link reverts to the homepage. Therefore, each new user that hasn't been to Chiasso recently that uses your Chiasso product link will see the homepage during their first click.

To test this theory (which I just did), clear your "chiasso.com" and "cc-dt.com" cookies and then click on the product link again.

The Performics technology team has responded to my email and say that they are looking into this problem. I'll keep you all posted if I hear back from them (and if I don't forget by then to post their response here).

If anyone else has any other ideas as to how to get around this or whether the same thing happens on other Performics products, please post it here. The info would be useful to Performics and I will pass it on.

ABW Ambassador
    I often have the same problem with Zones.com.

But in this case it is not performics specific as it happened when they were on reporting.net too.

It did not seem to matter if I had been to zones recently (setting a cookie) though.

Here's an update on this problem:

I have been going back and forth with Performics for the past two months. They tell me they've identified the problem and have fixed it. Then I check the links and they still don't work. Anyway, after one of the fixes, I saw Chiasso sales pouring in again, so thought things were going pretty well. Thought I would be able to leave up the dozens and dozens of product links I have live.

Well, turns out Chiasso just went bankrupt and are no longer required to pay their affiliates. That means that not only have I wasted 10,000 or so clicks on them, but that I am also not going to get paid for the hundreds of dollars in sales that I have outstanding with them since last May.

This problem could be eliminated if Performics would pay out using methods similar to Commission Junction. I'm beyond fed up with their support and their products, yet they still have some of the best names and product links, so I must cause myself further pain and keep using them.

I just received a bunch of e-mails from Performics telling me that all of the stores in the Brylane Group will no longer offer build-your-own links. How dumb can you get? I have hundreds of individual product links for all thoses stores and sell thousands of dollars of product every month for them...and now, no more product links. I just can't figure why anyone whold make it harder for an affiliate to sell for them!

Nick

Oh no! Well that's made my day
    Roamans, Jessica London, Lerners no product links...well, it was a nice run while it lasted!

Why, Why, Why would a merchant do this

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

Yeah, it looks like Performics is cleaning house. They just terminated the Hearthsong, Magic Cabin and The Popcorn Factory too!

Didn't the emails for Lerner and Lane Bryant say that the build your own links will still work, but that you just can't build any more? Not that this makes it much better, but it may give you some time to find new links.

Hearthsong is moving to Linkshare, they said so in the email.
    Seems like a lot of my merchants have been moving to Linkshare lately.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Yes, our old links will still work but it means no more fresh product unless we ask for specific links.
    There are ways around it, but it's time comsuming and I don't have that much to spare.

It's a shame, but I have been expecting 'something' to happen.
    I've noticed when a merchant starts changing cookies and things there's always a clanger on the horizon

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

Well, I will ask for a bunch of links, and let's see see how much they like it. In the meantime, I'm cleaning house too.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread