Just received this message from all Brylane Stores :

"We want you to know that as of Thursday, January 30, the Build Your Own Links (BYOL) functionality for Brylane Kitchen will no longer be available. All of the BYOL links you are currently using will continue to track and work accurately. However you will not be able to view the links in your ConnectCommerce account. To view your BYOL activity, run a link report for each particular marketer. "

I thought direct product/page/category links are a very good converters. Apprently, good for affiliates but not necessarily what Brylane wants.

About a month ago, they also said that once a purchase made within 30-day cookie duration, the cookie then will be turned off, so we will not get commissions for other purchases within that duration.

Apparently, all they want to do is push their brands, distribute free catalogs through affiliates and live happily ever after.

Unfortunately they're still converting well, to drop them now!

I received that email for other Brylane merchants, they also said the study they did showed very little difference having the cookies turned off.

Just wondering, have you noticed a drop in sales since this happened?

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    Yes.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Mmmm..should have added, me too

Thomas Edison

If they turn the cookie off after the first buy, it makes them a liar. If they offer a 30 day cookie, then it should remain live for 30 days. It obviously does make a difference or they would not turn it off. They have just stolen your shopper. Actually, anything short of a refreshing or never ending cookie could actual be considered theft if the shopper returns via your site each time. Imagine, if you are converting well, what you could be doing if the cookie were not shut off. After making a buy, a day or so later, the shopper may return via your site because he or she forgot to buy something while shopping the first time. The second buy was still through your efforts to get the customer there.
    Personally, I try to stay away from short cookies and merchants that shut off cookies prematurely. If you are converting well up until cookie is shut off, it is hard to drop a merchant. Especially if new buying customers exceed returning customers. Makes you wonder why bother with a mailing list.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if you are converting well, what you could be doing if the cookie were not shut off. After making a buy, a day or so later, the shopper may return via your site because he or she forgot <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then you should be credited for the sale...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mousejockey:
    I received that email for other Brylane merchants, they also said the study they did showed very little difference having the cookies turned off.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there is a little difference why change the policy. What I see they're doing is coming up with not-so-creative ways to trim off the affiliate commissions, month by month. They shouldn't do that, because 5% on clothing is not so lucrative.

Joseph,

quote And then you should be credited for the sale...

You should but you will not if the cookie is shut off after the first sale.

This move by brylane is clearly a means of reducing their obligation to pay commissions. Too many merchants want us to work for them for peanuts or nothing. A cookie should be refreshed everytime a shopper visits a merchant through your site. When you agree to affiliate with a merchant that sets a specific duration of a cookie, you should reasonably be able to expect the merchant to honor his commitment.

Gene
    TCS

SamBay, that's what I thought when I received the email.
    They were converting so well I thought I'd just see how it went, but sales didn't grow in December as I expected them to, and Jan is no different.

Now removing the product linking,the cookie and the old 5% has never been a big incentive.

Well, it's a moot point now.
    I've got the pages, and the people coming to those pages, just looking for a merchant to make them happy and in turn make me happy.

They aren't the first merchant to do this and it won't be the last. If I could spell 'say the vie' I'd say it

Thomas Edison

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread