Action referral= 1
    Cookie duration = 45 days
    Sale reversed = out of stock

So what does the customer do? They go back to the merchant and choose another version of the product (especially clothes sites) and we are out of a commission because our cookie has been rendered moot.

I think a crooked merchant could use this trick very easily by allowing people to order products they KNOW are out of stock.

Another reason to contact your merchants and let them know how you feel about action referrals=1.

One of the biggest turnoffs for customers is when an item is out of stock. The benefit to a merchant of fleecing the affiliate is nothing compared to the loss in customer confidence and orders that come from items out of stock.

If items are out of stock it's simply because the merchant hasn't got inventory and fulfillment sorted.

But having said that, it's an interesting point - are the cookies permanently disabled by a one time sale, even if that sale is reversed?

Yes, that is true, maybe the customer shops elsewhere. But if he desperately wanted a blue widget, only to find they are out of stock - I can see him returning straight to the merchant to try and get a red widget which was his second choice.

ABW Ambassador
    I had one merchant who was so abusive with reversing out of stock items it was crazy - It seemed almost everything was out of stock all the time - They tracked great though LOL.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The two for one benefit when a merchant reverses for no valid reason ..."But having said that, it's an interesting point - are the cookies permanently disabled by a one time sale, even if that sale is reversed?"

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by happypoon:
    I had one merchant who was so abusive with reversing out of stock items it was crazy - It seemed almost everything was out of stock all the time - They tracked great though LOL.
    Online Sports has a habit of doing that.

From a merchant's perspective...

The gains in dishonestly cheating the affiliate out of the commission using this trick would be offset fivefold by the loss in actual sales.

From our experience, if we tell a customer that something's out of stock, we're able to "save" maybe one in five of those kinds of orders.

Out of stock = everybody loses.

Brian

ABW Ambassador
    You're absolutely right Brian.

Had I been a merchant myself facing an out of stock situation, I'd be going out of my way to provide the product - even if I have to spend more and even if I have to lose money.

Charge that to advertising.

It is cheaper to maintain a happy customer than to get a new one. Not to mention an opportunity lost - a happy customer can come back and buy again you know.

quote:
    Originally posted by SportsFanfare.com:
    The gains in dishonestly cheating the affiliate out of the commission using this trick would be offset fivefold by the loss in actual sales.

I'll second that. I know I don't have the time to mess around with that. I doubt many other merchants do either.

Our site tracks inventory, so it is rare when something is sold out and we have to refund. When we do refund a customer, I don't penalize the affiliate by correcting the amount. It's not his fault our inventory is off.

Of course, I am selling a low priced item. If I were selling $1000 computers instead of $12 underwear, I might have to take a different approach.

Scott Marino
    www.WebUndies.com

p.s We updated our program to 60 day return with unlimited action referrals. The commission is still at 12%.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Scott the OOS bait-n-switch scheme is mostly at the high end consumer electronics -cameras -furniture and computer merchants. They take and advertise they have Sony Camcorder or Vaio notebook model for 45% off list. Behind the scenes they only have 1 "open box" return unit to cover their butts. Often they book sales on a HP computer bundle and make their call center sell the purchaser a different refurbished model for a hundred bucks less. Those deals usually close 80% of the time and the merchant reverses the original sale.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJCB:

If items are out of stock it's simply because the merchant hasn't got inventory and fulfillment sorted.

QUOTE]

or Bait & Switch!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread