Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I am getting invalid requests from this spider as it has the nasty habit of changing all url requests to lower case.

I am of the opinion that this spider has something to do with policing the validity of sales by checking the existance of the link on the page.

If this is the case all my pages are returning 404 errors to the spider as the spider is asking for the WRONG URL.

Please clarify this CJ as I am worried that I am in some way getting penalised due to an error in the setup of your spider.

Thanks, DPG

I'm seeing the CJ Spider doing wrong stuff too.

In my case I have a URL of the type "...\name1_name2" and it keeps trying to just find "...\name1". It's as if it stopped logging the URL when it hit the underscore.

It just hits the wrong URL over and over, getting 404 every time, for 60 times in a row...

-- Mike

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    More commentary about the CJ Spider is here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2236058992

And yeah, it keeps messing up the URL requests!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm seeing way to many "basic errors" from this thing and I can't believe that any knowledgable person or group would be so dumb to even be running it with these kinds of problems.

This leads me to only one conclusion and it's not a positive one.

If this is indeed spawned by CJ, it seems to be typical of them. Roll it out, cross your fingers, and hope it works properly.

And it never does...

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

Haha, I thought I am only the one. It must be a windows spider which though case in URL are not CaSE SeNSiTiVE!

ABW Ambassador
    This is a very bad spider ... the work of an amateur.

On WMW people are already talking about banning it as a rogue spider.

Using a spider for some sort of compliance checking may be a good idea but CJ better put this one in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing. They're opening a can of worms.

Are our sales being trashed because this mindless spider can't find or recognize our pages ????

Please, Todd, fess up!

If the spider is to check if a tracking link appear, then it is just too dump because in large site like mine, I use a script to redirect them the the correct advertiser. How can the spider see it from the HTML code?!

We are testing a new product and it apparently had too high of a setting and may have made too many requests for some servers to handle. If this caused any problems, we apologize. The spider has been reconfigured to not cause these problems. We have also corrected some of the other issues mentioned above.

So, what is this spider? Nothing to worry about. Once the product is released, we'll tell you more (July?). Suffice it to say it will help ensure the quality of our network and enable us to create and manage more productive relationships.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    So, what is this spider? Nothing to worry about. Once the product is released, we'll tell you more (July?). Suffice it to say it will help ensure the quality of our network and enable us to create and manage more productive relationships.
    Not unlike the typical quality of the upgrades thus far I'm sure . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

What happens if an affiliate bans this spider before knowing any more details (pre-July)?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Whiznot:
    This is a very bad spider ... the work of an amateur.

Ditto. Does not even read robots.txt properly.

KCEdit wrote:
    quote:
    What happens if an affiliate bans this spider before knowing any more details (pre-July)?
    From what I've read, that's just what a lot of people are doing.

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

"What happens if an affiliate bans this spider before knowing any more details (pre-July)?"

This is a super important question, which could be said another way - "Will affiliates be penalized or seen in a negative way if they prevent the CJ spider from accessing our sites?"

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, we are partners with you, not employees. To use our resources without explaining is unforgivable.

We are all members of many networks and programs. We cannot take the weight of all them spidering for their gains. Amazon already does this, now CJ?

This is like spam, each spammer thinks he is unique, and what is one little old mail. It is the combined weight that is part of the issue.

The other part is trust. I am not beholden to CJ. If you want to improve our relationship I suggest you ask and explain before you make the first move, don't just try and slip me a mickie and tell me it is good for me.

Chet

quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    Todd, we are partners with you, not employees. To use our resources without explaining is unforgivable.

We are all members of many networks and programs. We cannot take the weight of all them spidering for their gains. Amazon already does this, now CJ?
    From what I gather the Amazon spider ignores robots.txt and CJ probably will too? You're absolutely right, if every relationship we enter into suddenly starts spidering the site for whatever good reason they think of (for them), we end up being moved into a higher bandwidth plan and losing money before a sale is even made. Rather than waste our resources spidering our sites, CJ would be better advised to spider the merchants product links and feeds to see if they are providing accurate links - why look for bad ones on hundreds of thousands of publishers sites vs. hundreds of merchant sites?

quote:

So, what is this spider? Nothing to worry about.

Hmmm ... I'm suffering adverse reactions.

"What's in the box?"

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
    quote:
    So, what is this spider? Nothing to worry about.
    That ranks right up there with:

"Mrs. Lincoln, you're really going to enjoy the play!"

"The weather's so nice in Dallas, we've put the top down on the Limousine..."

"Terrorists will never attack Americans on American soil..."

It think I'll feel better if I start worrying about it now...

Andy

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    "So, what is this spider? Nothing to worry about. Once the product is released, we'll tell you more (July?). "

Todd, why so secretive? Maybe you should actually try communicating and listening to affilites. Telling us not to worry about it, we'll let you know in July is BS. That bot you sent out, from what i heard, has caused database sites to go down from memory allocation errors, crashed servers, eating up bandwidth, etc. We have a right to know, not telling us causes distrust, doing this you can't be a "trusted third party"

It seems CJ has gotten very cocky, to the point that you're going to do whatever you want and do what you think is best for us, even tho we might disagree with it. A good idea would be to start communicating better, any distrust or sh1t you catch is because of your failure to do this.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, some of us have had so much bandwidth sucked up by unwelcome spiders we've configured our sites to only allow listed spiders, like from certain search engines. If the CJ spider isn't on the welcome list, it isn't going to get in without hacking it's way in.

Also, I'm sure many of us have installed our affiliate links in external javascript files for easy maintenance, and gone one step further to robot-excluded those files specifically to put up a firewall against spiders. I know of no spider on the face of the earth that can find links placed in robot-excluded external javascript files.

The CJ bot may spider the Geocities crowd's sites at will, but it's going to get it's butt kicked when it strays into some of mine. Sorry, no offense to CJ, I had no idea they would ever want to spider my sites.

CJ ought to consult with their partners before visiting us with a rogue spider. A little consultation will save them from embarrasment and man-years of wasted programming efforts, to say nothing of the ill will this kind of activity can generate.

Huh, what todd says really make me nervous.

I don't feel good on it. Let's come back to the root. They need to spider to get a page, to get a page where your have refered your visitor to your merchant.

Waht if they can't find the appropriate link, they doesn't record your transaction!

Problems - No 1x1 pixel? No real code like me (redirect script)? ...

DEEP IMPACT ... I am sure it would be the worst thing that can happened. If we really no need to worry about it, why we need to wait until July to find it out!

ABW Ambassador
    I never figured this spider was atually from CJ. Lets see it's so stupid it doesn't even regognize an _ in a file name which causes an error.

CJ knows which merchants I deal with from their network and further even knows the links I use from them.... So why in the world would they need to write some half ass program to come spider my site and what frinking benefit will it provide me?

"nothing to worry about" Ha.......

I don't mind saying this action and definately the response does nothing to instill "trust" in CJ nor the reliablity of it's services. This seems like a very bad joke and makes me want to join the "I DEMAND" revolution for a more qualified response on the prupose of this spider.

ShoreMark,

You said
    ----------------------------------------
    "Rather than waste our resources spidering our sites, CJ would be better advised to spider the merchants product links and feeds to see if they are providing accurate links - why look for bad ones on hundreds of thousands of publishers sites vs. hundreds of merchant sites?"
    ------------------------------------------

Excellent!....... VERY Excellent!!!

Case Over!!

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Maybe they're looking for affiliates running banners on banner networks?

Or maybe searching for "inappropriate" keywords on pages that have CJ links on them?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast