Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Would this workaround sit well with Performics, the merchant, and Catalog City?

Let's say a merchant on Performics doesn't have product images available, but also has a program on Catalog City through CJ where images are available.

If I wanted to create a page for that merchant that includes images, would it be legit for me to use the images on their Catalog City database even though the links would be processed through Performics?

Is this an incredibly clever idea or a spectacularly stupid one?

yes, as long as you hosted the image.

I do this all the time..

what i do is create a image dir for the program on my server and host the images from there...

hot linking across multiple networks is bad form....(bandwidth stealing)

in my opinion!

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

Action Jackson - King of the World
    oh please.

I don't host any pics and always take the images either from the network or the merchants site. Merchants have to expect this. If I hosted all the pics on my acct I'd have to upgrade once a week!

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks, guys.

I considered doing what you suggested my2cents, but I discarded the idea. Here's why. I think that if a merchant hosts images they are paying for that, not the network. The fact that they choose to display images with one network vs. another isn't likely a policy issue, but rather a technical one (or a time constraint one). So, assuming that's correct, there shouldn't be a problem with using the images served by the merchant.

By making images available on any network the merchant is effectively okaying image hotlinking. Ultimately that merchant will benefit from my displaying their images on my site, so why would they care which network I'm using for the links?

It makes no sense for me to take a measly 5% from Catalog City if I can do better with a different network.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm still trying to work out what makes sense and what's fair.

I didn't know it was ok to 'borrow' links. It pleases me no end to learn that it's being done and that it's legit! One of my merchants turned my application down via CJ, but accepted me through Performics. My smile soon turned sour, however, when I discovered that many of the links they supply through Performics don't take you to the page being advertised, and they don't allow you to build your own links, like they do on CJ. Result is that their CJ affiliates are making big money whilst their Performics affiliates are only sweeping up the crumbs!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread