As a publisher are we allowed to set (or overwrite, as the case maybe) merchant cookies in emailings?

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Do you mean that the cookies set by the emails from merchants?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some merchants do this dispicable act of overwriting affiliate cookies thru e-mail specials. Kinda like setting a "cookie detector" on their eshops front door that zaps the affiliate ID# eliminating commissionable return days.

I devised a way for my affiliate enabled merchants like www.suspenders.com to set all affiliate link cookies from the secure shopping cart bankvault. No way can it be overwritten or intercepted by some Ad-wank BHO overwrite scheme. Not even the merchant can negate the return day cookie with his own e-mails.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,

How about a click from affiliate link not able to overwrite previously set merchant's email cookie?

This is true example. The vistor clicks on the merchant's email on 4/16 and a cookie was set. On 4/19, the visitor clicks on an affiliate cookie and completes a purchase. But that click cannot overwrite the cookie set previously by merchant's email. The affiliate does not get the commission because the cookie was not set. This is one case I am working on with one CJ & ABW member merchant. So far I have not heard yes or no. The AM at least understands the situation that the affiliate should be paid because the click for the purchase came from affiliate site.

Haiko, I'm confused. Why would you want to overwrite a cookie? Can you give more information?

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

I think what Haiko is getting at is an HTML email that sets a cookie when the email is opened (i.e. the email recipient doesn't click on a link in the email, they just view the email in their email program).

I am not sure if this is technically possible but as Haiko is asking a question I wonder if he has become aware of an exploit being used to set cookies through email without people visiting the merchants web site.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    KCEdit ...your point and example means the merchant has taken purposeful programming steps to make sure their e-mail cookie doesn't get overwritten by an affiliate cookie. They have to have set it to write protected and probably with a long expiration date. Very bad move if they seek recruits without payouts to match their PR spin.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Mitford - RevShares.com:
    I think what Haiko is getting at is an HTML email that sets a cookie when the email is opened (i.e. the email recipient doesn't click on a link in the email, they just view the email in their email program).

I am not sure if this is technically possible but as Haiko is asking a question I wonder if he has become aware of an exploit being used to set cookies through email without people visiting the merchants web site.

EXACTLY!!!!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

What happens is the email has an image sourced from their website...

When your email program requests the image, the script which the img src is referencing sets a cookie and then sends on the image.

Technically, yes, very possible. Especially if you're using either webmail or Outlook.

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

I thought it required a click-thru to set the CJ tracking cookie. I don't know if it can be done with an impression without a click.

Since CJ (qksrv.net) owns the cookie, I think browser security should prevent anyone but CJ from reading or updating that cookie, eliminating the possibility of tampering there.

I don't think much would stop a merchant from opening their own affiliate account, setting up a special plan with $0.01 per sale and 0 duration cookies, and embedding that link in their e-mails. Is that the type of thing you are getting at Haiko?

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread