Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As a leading provider of performance-based online marketing services and technologies, Performics dedicates resources to monitoring publisher activity and we are committed to guiding fair practices for advertisers and web publishers.

In December 2002 Performics joined with our industry peers to develop a Web Publisher's Code of Conduct to guide practices and adherence to ethical standards for online advertising. This Code of Conduct provided Performics and other industry leaders with guidelines to enforce fair practices and protect advertiser and affiliate interests. When the Code was developed we recognized that it would need to evolve to address new technologies and applications that emerged to test the envelope of performance-based marketing.

As evidence of our ongoing effort to shape the industry for the better, Performics and Commission Junction have updated the original Web Publisher's Code of Conduct to reflect current industry practices and clarify practices we see as inappropriate.

The updated Code of Conduct specifically identifies, as inappropriate, the concept of a "forced click," or any click that is generated by the publisher and not by the consumer. The update stipulates that "non end-user initiated events" are prohibited. Performics continues to work to identify prohibited activity conducted by affiliates. Any publisher found to generate clicks that are not initiated by the end-user will be notified and will be asked to comply with the Code of Conduct. If the publisher does not comply, the affiliate will be removed from the network.

This update, in part, addresses concerns regarding 180 Solutions/Metrics Direct’s alleged activities. It is important to note that the leadership of 180 Solutions has denied allegations of wrongdoing. But Performics has previously recommended that clients suspend 180 Solutions until they can provide evidence that their technology functions appropriately.

Click here to review the revised (and original) Code of Conduct. www.performics.com/about/press/code_of_conduct.pdf

If you have any questions about this update to the Code of Conduct please submit them to codeofconduct@performics.com. While we regularly monitor affiliate behavior and work diligently to ensure fair practices in our network, we also welcome input from our affiliates. Feel free to report any inappropriate activity that you can document to that address. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Although I have not read it yet, I'll still say good job Performics.

I think it is about time we give Performics a better placement at ABW. They have good merchants (although crappy commission), solid payment history and less downtime.

Ebudae

I'm getting slow in my old age Trust

I locked yours (Nah, Nah) since this one had replies and to keep the conversation in one thread.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Does this apply to Commission Junction?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yes, we worked on the revisions together. It said that in the above information.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As evidence of our ongoing effort to shape the industry for the better, Performics and Commission Junction have updated the original Web Publisher's Code of Conduct to reflect current industry practices and clarify practices we see as inappropriate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Todd - are you also going to advise merchants NOT to use places like 1800?
    Ebudae

Awesome News! Kudos to Performics!

Mucho! Mucho Gracias!
    Thank you very much Performics!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    PUBLISHER CODE OF CONDUCT – REVISED AND RESTATED

When using the Service Provider’s technology to obtain credit for publisher or affiliate
    referrals, the following actions, practices and conduct, whether active or passive, direct or
    indirect, are prohibited:

Interference with referrals. No Web Publisher or software download
    Technology Provider may interfere with or seek to influence improperly the
    referral of a potential customer or visitor ("End-User") to the Web site of an
    online Advertiser. No Publisher or Technology Provider will automatically
    replace or alter any component of a Service Provider's technology that results in a
    reduction of any compensation earned by another Publisher. For example, a
    Publisher or Technology Provider may not use methods or technology to
    automatically replace a Service Provider's tracking identifier of another Publisher
    with its own Service Provider's tracking identifier or otherwise intercept or
    redirect an End-User from being referred through another Publisher's Link.

Publisher may notify an End-User once that End-User has arrived at the
    Advertiser's Web site of an opportunity to utilize technology employed by that
    Publisher and obtain the End-User's consent via affirmative action upon each
    occurrence to proceed with the operation of such technology. Implementation of
    software application functionality requires that the notification be easily
    understood by the average End-User, that any settings for automatic notification
    must be explicitly opt- in, and that it is not objectionable to the Advertiser.

· Non End-User Initiated Events. Publishers may not use invisible methods to
    generate non End-User initiated impressions, clicks, or transactions. All click
    (“Click”) events must be initiated by an affirmative End-User action.

· Altering another Publisher's site. Publishers may not utilize Service Provider’s
    technology in any manner that alters, changes, substitutes or modifies the content
    of another Publisher's Web pages.

· Software installation and de -installation. Publishers may not utilize Service
    Provider’s technology with other Software, whereby the installation and deinstallation
    is not obvious, easy or complete. Licensing and terms of all software
    downloads and applications of any type must be clearly presented to and accepted
    by the End-User. Software that utilizes Service Provider’s technology must be
    clearly marked in such a manner that the End-User can identify the Publisher’s
    Software with an associated behavior that occurs on the End-User’s computer,
    and receive visible notification of such behavior.

Definitions:

Advertiser – the company in an active relationship with a Service Provider for the
    purpose of displaying advertisements with Publishers to market their products and/or
    services

Publisher – the company in an active relationship with a Service Provider with which
    Advertiser’s advertisements are displayed to End-Users

End-User – individuals (consumers) who respond to advertisements from Advertisers
    that are displayed by Publishers

Service Provider – a company that provides services and technologies to both
    Advertisers and Publishers

Technology Provider – the company that provides Software used to display Advertiser’s
    advertisements to End-Users.

Click – the initiation of an End-User referral action from a Publisher to an Advertiser’s
    site, tracked through the Technology Provider’s services.

Publisher Link – a link to an Advertiser where an active affiliate relationship exists with
    one of the undersigned affiliate service providers and that:

Links to any of the following domains:
    bfast.com
    cc-dt.com
    qksrv.net
    commission-junction.com

(Note: these domains are subject to change based on technology change. Publishers who
    are filtering these domains will be notified of changes.)

-or-

Contains a parameter named 'afsrc' set to any value.

e.g. http://www.mysite.com/redirect?offerid=12345&afsrc=1
    This 'afsrc' parameter option is provided to address the case where affiliates modify or
    mask the links provided to them from the affiliate service providers and it becomes
    impossible to determine that they are affiliate links based on their appearance.

2. A Publisher Web Page is a page that contains a Publisher Link and is part of a website
    where an Advertiser and the Publisher have an active affiliate relationship.

First Published: December 10, 2002
    Amended: February 10, 2003
    Amended: 12 August, 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Yes, we worked on the revisions together. It said that in the above information.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Todd, does CJ plan on communicating this to CJ's affiliates besides ABW? I know I've only received notice from Performics so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ebudae:
    Todd - are you also going to advise merchants NOT to use places like 1800? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'd also like to know the answer to this but also like to add - Are you going to advise AFFILIATES not to use places like 180Solutions?

its a very good start but it goes nowhere near as far as I would like it to go.

@ ebudae <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Todd - are you also going to advise merchants NOT to use places like 1800? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are one funny guy . You want the impossible not a miracle.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Now, what do the other networks have to say?

It will be real interesting to see if the other networks do the same.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Commission Junction is also a publishers of the revised CoC and we will also communicate this to our members. There is no way we can synchronize our communications between our two companies so you are notifed at the same time.
    Todd Crawford

OK then! I see this as a genuine good faith effort and moving in the right direction. I will lay off CJ for a while. This is a happy day!

Keep it up and I may want to make a lot more use of that active account.

Sig changed
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Publishers may not use invisible methods to generate non End-User initiated impressions, clicks, or transactions. All clicks ("Click") events must be initiated by an affirmative End-User action. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone should know full well that the top tricks for clicks affiliates won't be removed from the CJ network ...regardless of some revision in some code of conduct.

Months from now I will point out several sites that still engage in forced clicks and cookie overwriting schemes ...CJ will say they'll look into it (as they have in the past), and not do anything about it.

ABW Ambassador
    Screw the forced clicks issue. This is a diversionary proverbial bone to throw.

It's time for action on forced affiliate ID # changes/overwrites.

ABW Ambassador
    So Todd, just to be clear, no longer will this be "left up to the merchant", correct? Across the board this will be a punishable offense? If so, yay.

Chet

Chief_Bobbit I think this means they cant do that any more, it I read it right.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a
    Publisher or Technology Provider may not use methods or technology to
    automatically replace a Service Provider's tracking identifier of another Publisher
    with its own Service Provider's tracking identifier or otherwise intercept or
    redirect an End-User from being referred through another Publisher's Link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is true this is only as meaningful as the enforcement. I, and I am sure everyone else, will fully expect to see it enforced.

We will soon know. Give them the benefit of the doubt. This can be a very good thing.

Hey! There was another post between my two above! Where did it go?

We are actively enforcing the CoC. We have been removing publishers and requiring compliance based on the new revision for several weeks prior to its release. We do not publically disclose the actions we have taken but action is being taken.
    Todd Crawford

Well, that is very good. I hope you get them all and keep them out.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I applaud the media pressure, ABWer pressure, and the Federal/State Government pressure that have made the parasite havens change the rules to level the playing field. Nice job CJ and Performics even if the first few efforts suffered from execution and enforcement issues.

Now I call on ABWers to give this initiative some more momentium. If the networks are willing to take steps to muzzle the known BHO players to require enduser OPT-IN action on every popup/under/slider alert occurrence we have to demand the same muzzling from all other affiliates doing force cookie stuffing tricks.

Immediate red flag and authorization by the networks to OUT this common practice ....
    " Non End-User Initiated Events. Publishers may not use invisible methods to generate non End-User initiated impressions, clicks, or transactions. All click (“Click”) events must be initiated by an affirmative End-User action."

ABW should now actively point out and pressure those affiliates who set cookies without a "enduser initiated event". For the lame brains this means cookie setting requires a physical click, as in no blind re-directs, no hidden iframes, no 1x1 pixel popups or off screen pop-unders all designed to cookie stuff shoppers sustems. One click=one cookie and no exceptions.

What are the feelings of this austeer group of ethical value added marketers?? Can we assist our ABW merchants on openly identifying known abusers/violators of this CoC by employing schemes that steal from fellow affiliates?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Well that's great news and kudos to all involved

Good point Mike with some additions:
    Can we assist our (CJ/ Performics )ABW merchants on openly (alerting) identifying known abusers/violators of this CoC by employing schemes that steal from fellow affiliates?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast