I have a site with reviews of some web hosting companies (http://gornet.netfirms.com) and I'm interested in become affiliate of them.
    What are experiences with web hosting companies on CJ?
    Thx in advance!

Reversals, Reversals, Reversals!

looks like you already are an affiliate of most of them, not just thinking about it. But my question is, what is a site dedicated to reviewing web hosting companies doing on a free server?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    what is a site dedicated to reviewing web hosting companies doing on a free server?

That's one product where I would say to definitely go with *paid* web hosting! A free server sends a powerful message when it comes to hosting--namely, "don't sign up with a paid host!"

Not the message to send, when you want to get people to pay to have their sites up...

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

The site is also in the "Site Review" forum - here.

Reversals, well a few and I think they're all genuine. BIG commissions though, so it's awfully tempting, but as I said on the other board it's a TOUGH marketplace. Really tough. There are sites out there which review and rank hundreds of web hosts as a full-time commercial enterprise.

So why not use a different angle? Competition is intense.. in English. But, if you explained to concepts in Croatian (and any other languages you are fluent in), you might find that you'd get very good results from a smaller base. If you did the site in Serbo-Croat (i.e. Latin and Cyrllic) then you've got a potential population base of 8 million people, and you could be the leading authority on web hosting in those languages.

If that worked, then the next step would be to look at reseller hosting. This is where YOU buy bulk hosting and sell it on for a profit. Most sites in the .hr domain I've come across have been terribly slow, so there's possibly a market there.

In other words, the KEY to affiliate marketing is finding and exploiting NICHES. The great thing is that you can try many things at once to see what works best for you.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Sorry about 2 posts but I was just hoping to have 2 different views..
    I have site on free host because it's still in test phase(learning) and because I'm waiting for my credit card to be approved.. (long story)

"So why not use a different angle? Competition is intense.. in English. But, if you explained to concepts in Croatian (and any other languages you are fluent in), you might find that you'd get very good results from a smaller base. If you did the site in Serbo-Croat (i.e. Latin and Cyrllic) then you've got a potential population base of 8 million people, and you could be the leading authority on web hosting in those languages."

Croatia and the states around are specific about Internet and paying on Internet... there are very few doing it, and we have a large problem with illegal software and things like that... so I was hoping to get more paying(interested) customers on English site despite competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but like I sad, this is just for learning and I'm not hoping on any commission.

Thx for your suggestions and help and I'm hoping that I will get some more criticisms (yes criticisms... because I think you can learn a lot from your mistakes).

Most of the companies I am affiliate with through CJ are pretty good. As was mentioned above there are some chargbacks though.

You say you are not in this for the money? Why the affiliate links then? If you put an independent site up, and are not affiliated with any of the companies, and don't "sell" listings, that would bring a lot more credibility to your reviews.

That kind of site would be worth considering if you could sell your visitors something else, or better yet, force them to give you a valid email to get in. Even better yet (shudder), make them pay to get in. I've heard that subscription sites are going to be the next wave.

Just my two cents. BTW don't forget to take a look at the other thread you started to check out my suggestions for improving your site.

Brian

Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. Visit my new reseller section. http://www.IceIsHot.com

Your site is pretty good and I like section with Shared Web Hosting Comparison. That is something I try to give, but in the different way... I try to get reviews (for now just one for each web hosting companies) off users and experts so can potential customers of that company get complete info and not just how many it cost or how many space or bandwidth do you get...

Like I sad its still in test phase and I'm learnig, but I think that something like that can work some day...

thx all for your help!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I've heard that subscription sites are going to be the next wave.
    More like a piddle in a puddle from my perspective.
    People still want everything for nothing.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

quote:
    I've heard that subscription sites are going to be the next wave.

Havent we been hearing this for a couple of years now?

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

quote:
    If that worked, then the next step would be to look at reseller hosting. This is where YOU buy bulk hosting and sell it on for a profit.

When you resell hosting and things start messing up and you have no control over the servers or the service... what do you do with all the angry customers?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread