Hi. I have been looking at your scripts. They look good but I have a few questions.

Ok, first - on the GoCollect Script.
    My PC will not open the direct feed because it is too big. Say I wanted to use only 1 or 2 product lines or pick and choose what I wanted to use that they carry. Would I be able to do that given the fact I can't open the durn file?

Second - I don't like cookie cutter pages. (it's a personal problem - lol) Ok, if I wanted to set up my page the way I like it - would I be able to use the script in a given table or area of the page?

Can I control what goes on each page? For instance - if I want to use Charming Tails, there are 10 catagories - I want each catagory on a different page. Can I do that?

Or say I don't like GoCollect's description, can I add my own?

Third - I know nothing about perl or scripts or how to install them. How hard is the learning curve to use your scripts? What will I need to know or learn?

Fourth - I allready am an affiliate. If I understand correctly, I have to sign up under you to us the scripts. Is this correct? If so would I need to sign up again?

Thanks for your time!
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Vicki,

1. You do not have to manually open gocollect.com's datafeed file. gocollect.pl supports filtering of the item and manufacturer fields. So you can pick and choose what manufacturers or products you want to carry. For details on filtering, go to http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/gocollect/docs.html and scroll down to the "Filters" section. Note: if you want to carry only a small quantity of items (say, a dozen), then it would probably be more efficient if you manually create the pages; if you want carry a few hundred/thousand items, it's easier to create the pages by using gocollect.pl. If no filtering is specified, then all items in gocollect.com's datafeed file are processed (typically about 35,000+ items). One page is created for each item and at least one index page is created for each manufacturer.

2. You can put whatever you want into a template so that it looks like the rest of your website. A template is just a plain HTML file like any other HTML file on your website. It is similar to a form letter in that you type substitution variables where you want the information to be substituted in. For example, itemName would be substitued with the name of the item. Also, you can have a different template for specific manufacturers or for specific items. See "Template Files" section in the documentation.

3. In gocollect.com's datafeed file the items are organized by the manufacturer name. The datafeed file does not organize items into sub-categories of each manufacturer. So the gocollect.pl script only organized items by manufacturer. Since there can be a large number of items from a particular manufacturer, the manufacturer index page can show the item list a thumbnail graphics (split over several pages) or as a text bulleted list. For example, see graphics version http://www.collectornut.com/boyds-plush/ and text version http://www.zbuyer.com/collectibles/boyds-plush/ Also notice how each of these webmasters has used their own custom templates.

4. gocollect.pl does not have any options to modify the descriptions. gocollect.com's datafeed file has to be modified to do that. Alternatively, you could make an item template for the item that you want to change; you would type the description to that template. You could have items templates for any number of items, but beyond a few, it would be probably be more practical for you to modify the datafeed file or just leave the descriptions as is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

5. The gocollect.pl script (and my other "store creator" scripts) are not difficult to install or use once you get the hang of them. Since they are not Windows programs but rather perl scripts they do require a bit of extra effort. They are run via the MS-DOS prompt on your Windows PC or via the linux/unix prompt using SSH. To make things easier, see the tutorials at http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/tutorials/ Basically, the steps for using any of the "store creator" scripts are: (1) install ActivePerl [not required on linux/unix servers], (2) unpack the script from its .zip file, (3) edit template files [or use samples included], (4) edit script's .ini configuration file to have your affiliate ID and settings, (5) run the script, and (6) upload created HTML files [not required if you run the script directly on your web server via SSH]. My scripts have online documentation and I can answer questions if you have a problem. I recommend that your Windows PC (or web server) have at least 64MB of RAM (128MB or more preferred) to run the scripts.

6. For gocollect.pl, you do not have to sign up under me as a gocollect.com sub-affiliate. If you sign up as a sub-affiliate then the price of the script is 50% off; otherwise, the script is regular price. GoCollect.com allows you to sign up a second account if you want.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread