ABW Ambassador
    Got quite excited when I saw this in action at the web site. However, I am using an ADSL modem which is usually blisteringly fast. The demo pages that are on the site are painfully slow. Is this correct or is my modem having a bad day?

I would love to buy and use this product but speed seems to be the only thing holding me back.

Andy:

It's fairly slow the first time you visit a site; however, the script creates a cache that makes the second visit much faster.

I've seen this solved by putting a "Loading page" pop up that disappears when the page loads.

perfectG,

I recommend that you try out the free demo version of the amazon.pl script on your server and see what kind of speed you get on your server.

My server, the internet, or amazon.com may have been slow at the moment you accessed my website. Generally, amazon.pl does run fast. I just tried reloading the amazon.pl home page and it completely loaded within 10 seconds.

Also, SpongeBob is correct about the cache being used to speed up repeat results. The first time a user calls up results, amazon.pl has to fetch the search results from www.amazon.com. The next time the exact same results are called up, the results are based on the cache.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

www.cusimano.com/scripts

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cusimano:
    Also, SpongeBob is correct about the cache being used to speed up repeat results. The first time a user calls up results, amazon.pl has to fetch the search results from www.amazon.com. The next time the exact same results are called up, the results are based on the cache.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the cache created. Is the second faster time only for the individual who first looked, or is it faster for anyone else too? How long does the cache updated since your site says that the results are live and updated with correct prices.

Andy,

The cache is on the server where the script is located. After a set of results have been viewed once, they are faster for every user that requests the same results.

The webmaster can set configuration variables that specify how long an entry in the cache remains fresh before it is refetched from www.amazon.com during the next request (e.g.: 1 hour to 100 hours). The webmaster can also set how big the cache is (e.g.: 10MB). This gives maximum flexibility for the webmaster. See "cache..." variables in the documentation.

Also, if the perl compression module is installed on your server, then the contents of the cache are compressed (about 1:4 ratio) to fit more data into the cache.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread