ABW Ambassador
    David,
    I'm curious about how specific I can get with your Amazon script. Lets say I wanted to carry only books about web design/programming and small business resources...Can things be broken down that much?

Hi TH Media,

Short answer: Yes.

amazon.pl can process and display most of amazon.com's "browse" pages. For example, to show the "Web Development" browse page at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/3510 use something like http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/cgi...owse&mode=3510 ---- "3510" is amazon.com's browse # for this page.

Click on the above amazon.pl link. That index page doesn't look like a lot but those links on that page cover all of amazon.com's web development books. All the links on that index page recusively link back to amazon.pl to show subcategory browse pages. So the above one link effectively adds the entire "tree" of web development books at amazon.com to your website (there could be several thouand books in that part of amazon.com).

You can also use amazon.pl to show the "leaves" of amazon.com's product category tree. For example, http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/cgi...owse&mode=4045 shows the Perl programming books. You can also display the results in a grid, such as: http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/cgi...045&grid=c:3,p

BTW, here's the amazon.pl link to show all the web development software at amazon.com: http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/cgi...4&grid=c:3,p,m

For small business resources at amazon.com, you could use http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/cgi...1&grid=c:3,p,m

So basically all you have to do is use a different browse # to show the page/category that you want. You can also do keyword searches but if amazon.com has a browse page you might as well use it instead since amazon.com has already organized the items for you.

BTW, you can use a template to change the header/footer on the results page so that it matches the rest of your website. Or you can use a <script> tag to put the result anywhere on any of your webpages.

Note: buy-here-and-save.com is one of my websites. After you install amazon.pl on your server, you would substitute in your own domain name. Also, if you have more than one website, you only have to buy one license of amazon.pl and you can use amazon.pl on all your websites.

Try out the free demo version of amazon.pl so you can see that it does everything you want before you buy it.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

ABW Ambassador
    David,
    Thanks for the in-depth reply...looks like it does more than I thought [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Thanks again!!!

A daft question.

What does a spider see?

I

ABW Ambassador
    From what I've heard, the script creates static html pages, so they will see that. I have another script that does the same thing and the spiders have no problems crawling their way around.

Icicle,

Search engine spiders such as google appear to have no problem indexing output from an amazon.pl link. However, if you use amazon.pl in a <script> tag, then search engines won't see the output since search engines ignore <script> tags and cannot run javascript (this applies to any script you use, not just mine).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: cusimano ]

TH Media,

amazon.pl is a dynamic "on the fly" script. When amazon.pl is called (by a user click or by a <script> ), amazon.pl is run and it outputs HTML directly to the web browser. That HTML is not written to the web server's hard disk. The advantages: (1) results are always fresh, (2) you can add a lot of amazon.com's items to your website without taking up much disk space on your web server.

My other perl .pl scripts are static scripts (also known as "run-once" programs), that is, you run them at the MS-DOS or linux/unix command prompt and they write .html files to your disk drive (if you run the script on your Windows PC then you have to FTP the created .html files to your web server). They are not run by the user via the web browser (e.g.: /cgi-bin/script.pl) The gocollect.pl script is a static script -- you run it and it creates about 35,000 .html files (if all items selected). What the user sees will not change until you rerun the script and create updated .html files. No need to rerun the gocollect.pl script unless you modify templates, modify configuration settings or receive a newer datafeed file.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

I use your script David and it saves me a lot of time. However there is a weakness in the search engine aspect in that it can try to download the whole of Amazon via my site. Obviously I can stop Google doing this by using robots text and tell them not to use the Amazon directory on my server. However I noticed that some users with offline browsers are trying to download my site including the Amazon pages - this results in repeated calls to Amazon.pl and nearly shuts down the server.

I know it's a wish list item but I would like to see some way of restricting multiple calls from one IP to the script.

Pretty please!?

GaryS,

I'm glad to hear that my amazon.pl script saves you a lot of time.

By having a robots.txt file in the root of your website, you can ban Internet Explorer from downloading amazon.pl output. Add the following to your robots.txt file:

User-Agent:MSIECrawler
    Disallow:/cgi-bin/

With these lines, Internet Explorer will not spider anything located in the /cgi-bin/ directory -- if you have amazon.pl in a different directory, then change the above line.

Note that "MSIECrawler" can be replaced with "*" to indicate that all automated crawling robots (including Internet Explorer) should be excluded.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

David, you lost me as soon as you got to the 'script' bit! But if spiders don't like them, I don't need them.

I do have one matter to raise though. With the amazon.pl I see lots of pages with the keywords in the link text. I prefer the keywords in plain text and a 'click here' for the link. Otherwise we appear to be giving Amazon a boost in ranking at our expense.

A solution to that could be helpful.

I

I,

David said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Search engine spiders such as google appear to have no problem indexing output from an amazon.pl link. However, if you use amazon.pl in a &lt;script> tag, then search engines won't see the output since search engines ignore &lt;script> tags and cannot run javascript (this applies to any script you use, not just mine).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which means that the site will be spidered as long as you don't call the script via a &lt;script> whatever.pl </script> tag ... it is keyword rich and that is the major beauty of his scripts!

Haiko

Yeah, I worked that out. I think.

Damn, its going to take a while to get my head round anything but basic html.

I made a 'table' in MS Access today. I'm so proud. Tomorrow, if I find the courage, I might try a 'query'!

I

Once you understand the basic concept it is not difficult to use the HTML &lt;script> tag and it is actually very useful.

There is a FAQ on my site that describes the &lt;script> tag. See
    How do I use amazon.pl with a &lt;script> tag?

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do have one matter to raise though. With the amazon.pl I see lots of pages with the keywords in the link text. I prefer the keywords in plain text and a 'click here' for the link. Otherwise we appear to be giving Amazon a boost in ranking at our expense.~Icicle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to use the keywords in the link, since the link goes to my amazon.pl results via my cgi-bin. Spider sees I've linked to a page with results all relevant to the keyword I've linked to. Suppose I could ask Markymark if that makes sense, but I like it the way it is.

I love the use of the script tag with amazon.pl. It means that I can present graphically the script results for the visitor on my page without them having to click another link.

Thanks for that .htaccess tip, David! I haven't noticed any excessive calls, but it never hurts to prevent server overload before it happens.

I love amazon.pl. I truly wish that they paid you 2-tier, David, since every quarter my earnings have increased with Amazon.

David,

Not all site downloaders 'obey' robots txt. Many have options to ignore this file.

I currently have mine set up as

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cgi-bin/
    Disallow: /amazon/

====

One trick on setting up links using amazon.pl is to set up the standard Amazon search box that calls the program. Replace the first < form > line with this
    < form method="get" action="http://www.your-site.com/amazon/amazon.pl" >. Type in what you are searching for say Harry Potter Books and click on GO. The results will then display in your amazon.html page. If you then look at the URL in the location bar you will find that amazon.pl has written all the layout parameters for you, so it is a simple question of cutting and pasting into a standard site link for Harry Potter.

I have used this many time to set up specific links to products that I wanted to promote.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: GaryS ]

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: GaryS ]

So... excuse my confusion here....

I was writing a bunch of pages that use the &lt;script tag which I guess, after reading this, means the results won't get spidered....

So am I correct in saying if I use a &lt;a href link to the same url on the same page the results will?

ABW Ambassador
    Haven't read this thread properly, but search engines can't read javascript but a static html link means they will at least try to follow it.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

*bump*

Was hoping for a few more replies. (Thanks Mark)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was writing a bunch of pages that use the &lt;script tag which I guess, after reading this, means the results won't get spidered....

So am I correct in saying if I use a a href link to the same url on the same page the results will?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you use a &lt;script tag to bring content into a page, that imported content will not be seen by the SE. That may be good or bad.

Example - if you have created a page that is carefully tuned for SEs with specific keywords, etc, you may not want it messed up by the relatively random imported content. So &lt;script import keepd the SE text clean yet presents a load of (probably) relevant content for the human viewer.

In other situations it may be a safe bet that the imported material will help your relevance.

Content imported into shtml pages via SSI is done at the server, so SEs see it as part of the page.

Hope this helps

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

I guess I will have the answer to the using the amazon links in href, and if the SE's will spider them...

Googlebot was sniffing around yesterday, I'll let you know how I make out ;-)

I'm still a little confused about the robots.txt... if I use the "Disallow: /cgi-bin/" line, will this stop SE crawling url's that include anything in the cgi-bin like

<*a href="http://mysite/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?type=bestsellers&mode=dvd">

or just pages that BEGIN in the cgi-bin folder, and I presume this secures any folders inside this folder too??

I just read this back and I think it almost answers itself... HELP!! Thanks!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread