I am now attempting to use this script on multiple sites. Please anyone with experiencec using this aspect of amazon.pl please post any helpful tips and tricks. I am nost sure I completely understand where the template for the results will reside. local or remote server? etc...

To use amazon.pl XML on multiple websites, you can do two things:

(1) Install and run amazon.pl XML on each of your websites. You would put a results template on each website.

(2) In the HTML of your "secondary" website, remotely access amazon.pl XML located on your "main" website. You would do this via a < script> tag in the HTML of your "secondary" website such as < script SRC="http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?script&type=best&mode=books"> Notice that the SRC is a full URL (it includes a domain name) and that the parameter named 'script' is included (it tells amazon.pl that you are using a SCRIPT tag). Note that when you use the 'script' parameter, there is no results template used -- amazon.pl simply returns the results.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    David Cusimano

would you pass the template file name in the <script> tag url? I got it working, but when clicking the link it directs the browser to the originating hosting domain. I would rather it maintain the look of the secondary site.

well i added a template with a results tag imbeded in the page on the main server. the script tag works on the 2nd site. but when clicking the link or the more results button. it uses the 1st servers template. any suggestions. i put the second template in the amazon-templates directory.

Put the 2nd template in the amazon-template directory of the main website (note: the directory name is singular; it is not amazon-templates). Then in your <script> tags, add a template= parameter such as: /cgi-bin/amazon.pl?script&template=site2&.... (assuming your template is called site2.html).

Unfortunately the current version of the script will not carry forward the template= parameter into product details pages (assuming asinsearch.format is not ""). To see what I mean, try cgi-bin/amazon.pl?script&template=site2 and then click on any of the books -- the template from the 1st website will be used for product details. The current work-around is to turn off product detail pages by setting:

asinsearch.format ""

In a future version of amazon.pl XML, we may re-introduce the site= parameter that existed in the non-XML version of the script (v2.08.11 and earlier). In the future, all you would have to say in all your links is site=site2

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

David,

Just to clarify - it is OK to link to amazon.pl from one of my other sites but are you allowed to have another installation of amazon.pl on the other site. The reason I ask is that Amazon allow you to have multiple sites using the same tag, but I presume your licence only allows the script to be present on a single site?

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

thank you david for the help. i was reading the documentation more closely. with your help and the documentation i think i have found a solution. i will use a local .ini file to turn off the product detail page. that should ensure the look i am striving for. correct me if i am wrong. thanks again for your help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just to clarify - it is OK to link to amazon.pl from one of my other sites but are you allowed to have another installation of amazon.pl on the other site. The reason I ask is that Amazon allow you to have multiple sites using the same tag, but I presume your licence only allows the script to be present on a single site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can install amazon.pl on multiple websites as long as they are your own websites (i.e.: the domains are all registered to you).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread