I really like the fact that the product details show up within my own site. However, I am looking at the pros and cons of this feature.

As far as I know, using local product details never tags the user as your Amazon customer (does it?). Normally, if a user clicks through your site to Amazon, a cookie gets set that identifies the user as your customer at Amazon for the next 24 hours. But if the person stays within your site, I don't think this cookie ever gets set. In my mind, this means a potential loss of sales during this 24 hour period. If the person leaves your site at that point, then decides to go to Amazon directly, he's not your customer and you'd get no commissions on anything purchased.

Another concern is that even though the product detail page shows a lot of info about the product, it can't compete with a full custom page built by Amazon that presents a whole bunch of other related products simultaneously. Let's face it, Amazon is damn good at cross-selling. Does the local product detail outweigh Amazon's ability to do what they do best?

One possible factor in the favor of using product details would be if they are spidered by the search engines. Anyone know for sure?

I think the game for us is to deliver a user to Amazon and let them do their marketing magic to sell products.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have full integration of amazon.pl and so far this year my stats are much better than last year. Yes I may miss someone who types amazon.com but with all the search boxes and scripts I have set up it would be perverse for someone to close my pages and then try to find the item directly from Amazon. I generate most of my links automatically linking them to the subject page. It does mean that my stats at Amazon show relatively few visitors but a very high purchase rate.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

The feature that displays product details locally on your website can be turned off or on via the asinsearch.format configuration variable. Some webmasters like the idea of showing product details locally since it keeps the user at the website longer. Other webmasters prefer to let the user go to the amazon.com website to see the details. The amazon.pl XML script supports both.

Local product details pages probably are spiderable just like other dynamically generated amazon.pl pages. This recently new feature was added in amazon.pl v2.12.28 (released December 28, 2002) so your server log files may not yet show any googlebot activity for local product detail pages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As far as I know, using local product details never tags the user as your Amazon customer (does it?). Normally, if a user clicks through your site to Amazon, a cookie gets set that identifies the user as your customer at Amazon...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The user is not tagged by amazon.com until they visit amazon.com. It's also possible that the user might bookmark one of your local details pages and return to it much later than the standard amazon.com cookie duration.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cusimano:
    It's also possible that the user might bookmark one of your local details pages and return to it much later than the standard amazon.com cookie duration.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...VERY good point David!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>CollectableCrazy.com<LI>CollectibleCrazy.com<LI> CollectorsAlert.com
    <LI>eTMAC.com
    <LI>ExchangeReview.com<LI> Seek360.com[/list]

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread