Hello,

The great problem with a powerful script like this is trying to understand everything at once. <grin> I am going a little cross-eyed.

The answer to the following is probably self evident but not to me.

I need some help understanding how to control the output of the script.

For instance, the following is generated to the web using the "store template":

You are here: Books / Subjects / Computers & Internet

Top Sellers

.. list of of books

Browse Computers & Internet

... list of categories

Browse Specialty Stores

... list of stores

How do I control where on a web page these items appear?

How can I generate a list of categories?

How can I generate a list of Speciality Stores?

Thanks for any guidnace.

The way I started was to keep it simple at first - I read and re-read David's website and played around with the scripts. I suggest you do the same. Now I am reasonably comfortable with the templates.

So start off with some of the simple examples, then change something - see what happens - experimenting will teach you much more than a do this or do that answer!

You will not be able to do everything at once, it is the same as web design and search engine positioning - step by step.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

Wow GaryS, your condescending advice leaves me
    almost speechless. I am soooooo happy for you and
    your comfort levels and your mastery of step by
    step learning. Just Awesome!

As far as I know, the purpose of a forum such as
    this, is to facilitate the posting of questions in
    the hope that those who may have an answer to the
    question will share their knowledge and thereby
    assist the person asking the question to advance
    their own knowledge.

I have asked a reasonable question in the hope of
    getting a reasonable reply.

Perhaps someone will yet be of assistance.

Richard

You asked a very broad question that has no single, short answer - but is covered by the documentation.

Only you know what you are exactly trying to achieve - if you hit a specific obstacle that prevents you achieving it, then I'm sure you will find people willing to help here.

To get you started, there are 2 main ways you can use this script - to generate whole pages (where you call the script and it pulls in a template to populate with amazon info) or to insert amazon content within existing static/dynamic pages (where you call the script via a javascript or SSI tag to insert the output of the script).

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Ward:
    almost speechless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I can tell, GaryS wasn't being the least bit condescending. He gave a very reasonable (and helpful) answer. If you don't like the answers, take your questions elsewhere.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuyâ„¢:
    Richard

You asked a very broad question that has no single, short answer - but is covered by the documentation.

Only you know what you are exactly trying to achieve - if you hit a specific obstacle that prevents you achieving it, then I'm sure you will find people willing to help here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks CrazyGuy.

I am focused, at the moment on having the script insert amazon content into both static and dynamic pages and have it working.

David helpfully provided me with a couple of SCRIPT examples and I have been playing with them.

I just haven't come across the documentation that discusses how the wording "Browse Specialty Stores", for example, was generated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EmDub:
    As far as I can tell, GaryS wasn't being the least bit condescending. He gave a very reasonable (and helpful) answer. If you don't like the answers, take your questions elsewhere.
    Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for your feedback, Michael.

I did not find the answer from GaryS to be either reasonable or helpful. So, big deal, we disagree about the reply from GaryS.

But if I do not like an answer, I will comment when I think that it is appropriate to do so; and unless I am mistaken the "Instant Graemlins" provide for a very broad range of free expression.

I certainly don't have a problem with you commenting on my reply to GaryS. And as to taking my questions elsewhere, this smiley provides an excellent expression of my thoughts about that ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Ward:

David helpfully provided me with a couple of SCRIPT examples and I have been playing with them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me but that's what I thought I had condescendingly recommended!

- Oscar Wilde

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How do I control where on a web page these items appear?
    How can I generate a list of categories?
    How can I generate a list of Speciality Stores?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You are referring to the "store" results templates that come with amazon.pl XML. They are located in the amazon-template/store directory. These are HTML files. Open one of them, such as dvd.html, and you'll see how those "store" results templates are designed. There's nothing really special about these templates -- you can edit them and move the various page elements around if you want. When amazon.pl XML processes a template file, it replaces all occurrences of {VARIABLENAME} with the specified variable -- such as {results} shows the results, {title} shows the product/page title. See the sample templates for other variables.

For a starting point on using the script, have a look at Quick Tutorial, also see the "Learn More" pages linked at the bottom of that page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am focused, at the moment on having the script insert amazon content into both static and dynamic pages and have it working.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Results can be inserted in your static HTML files via &lt;script> tags and via SSI (server side include) statements. See the Quick Tutorial for some examples of &lt;script> tags. For dynamic pages, put a link on your page that links to amazon.pl and include parameters as part of the URL to tell amazon.pl what to search for. For examples, see Overview as well as Sample HTML.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just haven't come across the documentation that discusses how the wording "Browse Specialty Stores", for example, was generated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Please provide a URL showing this. You are probably referring to a link that shows up in the "Browse more..." links section of a browse index page, such as: Browse Books -- on this page, you'll see "Browse Books" and "Browse more..." links. Those "browse" links are based on whatever links amazon.com has on that browse index page at the amazon.com website. You can turn off display of the "Browse more..." links by setting the browse.more configuration variable to no

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

ABW Ambassador

almost speechless. I am soooooo happy for you and
    your comfort levels and your mastery of step by
    step learning. Just Awesome!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are way over the top here. Gary spent time trying to answer the broad question you asked with little idea of your expertise level. You should be grateful of his reply not attack him you ungrateful ...

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Andy, Andy, Andy you have such a way with words.

Au contraire, Gary did not provide an answer to
    my question.

On the other hand the recent posting by the
    Moderator David, provided me with an answer to
    my question.

LOL ... Andy, no doubt, you think that your posting is a helpful answer to my question as well.

At any rate, on reflection, I should probably
    apologize to GaryS for my somewhat acid
    response to his posting. From my perspective
    his post was not helpful, but that is neither
    here nor there. There was no need for me to
    respond as I did.

GaryS I apologize.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Au contraire, Gary did not provide an answer to my question.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He may not have supplied the answer you wanted or the answer to solve your problems, but he did offer advice on how best to get using the script.

It is a shame that people get attacked for offering what they genuinely believe to be help.

Far too often on other boards people get attacked for trying to help, or even asking simple questions. The fact that ABW does not have this one-upmanship is what makes ABW so special (as I am sure you know Richard if you have been hanging around here since September 2001). Perhaps you should contribute more yourself - people will respect your opinions and mostly thank you for trying to help out.

Only 7 posts in over a year? I guess some people are all take take take.

Andy Williams

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    (as I am sure you know Richard if you have been hanging around here since September 2001).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Only 7 posts in over a year? I guess some people are all take take take.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Cheeez Andy,

Just one thing after the other. But you are
    throwing insults around based on assumptions,
    somewhat like giving gratuitous advice without
    establishing, first, where someone is coming
    from.

I am not sure where you get your stats, but I
    haven't been hanging around for over a year. I
    may have signed up for ABW over a year ago but
    I haven't been hanging around until I purchased
    Amazon.pl a little over 2 weeks ago.

And for that matter, even if I had been "hanging
    around" as you so quaintly put it, so what? Not
    everyone is comfortable expressing themselves in
    writing. How ironic that you would say such a
    thing! That has certainly raised the comfort level
    for my fellow newbies to this forum who have been
    reading posts looking for answers to their unwritten
    questions.

As for contributing more concerning Amazon.pl,
    perhaps you will permit me a wee bit of time to
    learn to use the software and put my knowledge
    to work, so that I can make a posting that actually
    has an answer to a question that has been asked.

Thanks for your feedback Andy.

I'm sure that everyone here has the best intentions in mind when they post to help another member; afterall, users of amazon.pl are intelligent and helpful people

I take responsibility for this thread. I need to update the documentation for amazon.pl XML so that it is more complete and includes more samples and more step-by-step instructions.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

ABW Ambassador
    How ironic that you would say such a
    thing! That has certainly raised the comfort level
    for my fellow newbies to this forum who have been
    reading posts looking for answers to their unwritten
    questions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not done anything to lower "comfort levels" of Newbies unlike youself (who openly attacked someone who tried to help).

I pointed out in my post (if you had read it) that abw is not like other forums - people generally respect posters and help newbies. Any newbie reading these boards will know that I always try to help, am never condescending towards either their questions or their knowledge. Although I do take a strong dislike to attacks on people and their motives for posting - I hate injustice (maybe I was a sheriff in a previous life )

If you were a Newbie, who would you rather answer your question - perfectG or Richard Ward? I know my answer based on what I have seen of you.

Andy Williams

Time to move on to more important things Richard has apologised (thank you!), I will try not post general answers that purport to teach. David can have his forum back!

- Oscar Wilde

Your welcome GaryS.

I too look forward to moving on.

David,

Thank you for your post, I just realized that
    I had not posted a thank you.

It was very helpful.

Hey GaryS
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I will try not post general answers that purport to teach. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my 2 cents worth..

I thought your answere was worth posting..
    And I'm sure it will help others on this board.

Not all of the 6,000+ people on this board are vetrans so no answere that is intended to help, no matter how general, is waisted here. It will help someone...

Cow Patch...

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread