In most of my pages of results, there are irrelevant books showing up, or books no longer available. I want to get rid of them. I read somewhere that I can use an "exclusion file" or "exclusion list". What's the difference? How do I make one, name it, activate it, and where does it go?

Sincerely,

Dave

To use exclusion files and exclusion lists, you can do any one or more of the following:

1. In amazon.ini, set exclude.list to a list of one or more ASIN numbers (separate each ASIN by a comma).

2. In amazon.ini, set exclude.file to the name of a text file that contains ASIN numbers. For example, set exclude.file "mylist" and then create a text file called mylist.txt in the amazon-exclude directory. Separate each ASIN by any type of delimiter (such as: comma, tab, return, or space).

3. In the URL, add a exclude= parameter and set it to a list of one or more ASIN numbers (separate each ASIN by a comma).

4. In the URL, add a exclude= parameter and set it to the name of an exclude file, such as exclude=mylist and then create a text file called mylist.txt in the amazon-exclude directory. Separate each ASIN by any type of delimiter (such as: comma, tab, return, or space).

An ASIN is 10-characters consisting of 0-9 and/or A-Z. Uppercase/lowercase does not matter. FYI, the name of the exclude directory is specified via the exclude.dir configuration variable.

I would recommend that instead of using exlusion files/lists, try narrowing your search by using different keywords and/or more keywords. Also, amazon.com has their products organized by a hierarchy tree and each branch/leaf of products is called a "browse page". So see if amazon.com has a browse page set up for the items you are looking for and then use the type=browse&mode=BROWSENUMBER search instead of a keyword search. For example, amazon.com has browse page #5046 at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/5046/ which is "Books > Subjects > Home & Garden > Animal Care & Pets > Cats > Breeds". So if you want to show books about cat breeds, you should use something like:
    http://www.collectiblecats.com/cgi-b...owse&mode=5046

To determine the BROWSENUMBER of a browse page, navigate through the amazon.com website to the page you're interested in. In the URL http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...OWSENUMBER/.... the BROWSENUMBER appears after browse/-/

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

David:

Thank you very much for your reply and for the several options.

I think for my purposes the keyword method is best.

Okay, as I understand it, I add an amazon-exclude directory to my cgi-bin directory. Then I add text files such as lab-list.txt and germ-shep-list.txt etc. to that directory.

I am not sure how to add the exclude parameter to the url. If my url is:

http://www.dogbiz.com/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?type=search&mode=books&keyword=labrador+retriever" target="_blank">Labrador Books</a>

Where exactly, do I put "exclude=lab-list" Do I need to include the extent .txt? Do I have to describe the path exactly such as:

exclude=amazon-exclude/lab-list.txt

Sincerely,

Dave

Add exclude=LISTNAME as a parameter anywhere in the URL, such as:

http://www.dogbiz.com/cgi-bin/amazon...clude=lab-list

Do not include the directory name or the filename extension as part of the LISTNAME. The LISTNAME consists of any combination of the following characters (to a maximum length of 32 characters): lowercase letters a to z, numbers 0 to 9, underscores _, and dashes - (except dash not allowed as first character). So some valid LISTNAME's are: lab-list, dogs12, lab_ret, labs

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thank you very much David.
    Your reply is most helpful.

Sincerely,

Dave

David:

I presume that the "amazon-include" works the same way as "amazon-exclude", but can the two be placed in the same url?

Also, when I excluded some books from my English Bulldog page, the numbering system of results gets out of whack. The items seem to retain their original number instead of moving up. Is there any way to correct this?

Sincerely,

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I presume that the "amazon-include" works the same way as "amazon-exclude", but can the two be placed in the same url?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The "include" means "include a file" rather than "include an ASIN" (that would be asinsearch=ASIN,ASIN,ASIN,...).

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>{includeasin} in the results template will include the file amazon-include/ASIN.html (where ASIN is the product's ASIN; use lowercase for the filename).

<LI>{includeasin EXT} in the results template will include the file amazon-include/ASIN-EXT.html (where ASIN is the product's ASIN, and EXT is some secondary text extension such as "dvd"; use lowercase for the filename). The EXT lets you have two or more files for the same ASIN, such as ASIN-header.html and ASIN-footer.html

<LI>{include FILE} will include the file amazon-include/FILE.html (use lowercase for the filename). The "FILE" value can include a @ date or time code, thus allowing for dated or timed filenames. Such as, {include best-@a} will include amazon-include/best-mon.html, amazon-include/best-tue.html, ..., amazon-include/best-sun.html depending upon the current weekday. (date/time codes are currently undocumented; they can even appear in parameters, such as asinsearch=@a to access amazon-asin/WEEKDAY.txt).[/list]
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, when I excluded some books from my English Bulldog page, the numbering system of results gets out of whack. The items seem to retain their original number instead of moving up. Is there any way to correct this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The original numbering is shown. Renumbering is not possible since results can span multiple pages and the script would have to process every product before the current page. An alternative is to remove the number by altering the formatting codes in amazon-format/library.fmt that format the results as a list; see < !--format.list1.cell-->

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread