I can understand people not giving any specifics for their sites - but has anyone made really good sales from the Amazon and Go Collect scripts?

Maybe a few hundred dollars a month extra or something?

Any problems with Googlebot indexing it?

Thanks...!

Yes

Way Yes

No

Apart from that - my lips are sealed

Are you Crazy?

Thanks

Without giving TOO much away - Do you prefer the Amazon or Go Collect script?

It depends

If you're planning to build a unique site around it - GoCollect probably.

If you already have sites you want to add content/value/revenue to - Amazon probably.

Nov/Dec, GoCollect way outstripped Amazon for me, this month it's flipped - but I'm using the Amazon script in both conventional and unconventional ways

I'd say both should soon pay for themselves but it does all depend on what you do with them.

Are you Crazy?

Thanks for the reply

What CrazyGuy said in his first post.

I really, really love the amazon.pl script. I've easily tripled or more my income with Amazon by using it. I don't know what an unconventional usage of amazon.pl might be (no,no, don't tell me CrazyGuy, really, I wouldn't want to know, no,no, don't tell me... well it works with my kids... ), but it makes adding links to relevant Amazon products a matter of moments.

I just killed my GoCollect sites. Murdered in cold, short tempered blood. It was an easy decision, since December was my highest earning month and just paid for a little more than the year's hosting of the sites. Add to that the eBates overwrite of my links, and no new datafeed since November, and a few other things that got my short hairs up, oh, but that's a different thread. The script itself was a sweetie to work with, and you can include or exclude by manufacturer, keyword, all sorts of nice options. Do very good keyword research before hand, or it will take you quite awhile to break even. There are folks who make what you're looking for monthly from GoCollect. I'm not one of them, so you may want to take my sour grapes with a grain of salt.

What else? David Cusimano is very helpful and the documentation on amazon.pl is extensive (though I always end up asking questions anyway, he's very patient).

My warning to anyone looking into using scripts to enhance their earnings would be to make sure that the basics are in place. In other words, I was already earning with Amazon before I started using amazon.pl. I knew what worked for me, and amazon.pl made it even easier to implement. Same with allposters.pl. I missed the mark somewhere with GoCollect, but as the wise ones say, "that is also for the best".

HTH

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    Webmistress
    I remember talk about whether or not the pages generated with Amazon.pl were spiderable. Are they?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:
    Webmistress
    I remember talk about whether or not the pages generated with Amazon.pl were spiderable. Are they?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not directed to me, I know - but yes they are. Almost too spiderable.

There's a thread here about the first time the googlebots hit my sites with amazon.pl installed. Crashed two virtual hosts (oops) due to the load imposed by amazon.pl retrieving the xml info to feed the 'bots.

David has done some work on the new version to reduce the impact of this - and I'm now on my own dedicated server but I see big processor spikes when the 'bots are on-ste.

The upside is seeing 41,600 pages on Google all created by conventional (and unconventional ) use of Amazon.pl.

So yes, they get spidered

Are you Crazy?

amazon.pl pages do get indexed, at least by Google. The page has to be either a direct URL (such as http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.p...=Harrison+Ford ) or a page with results shown via SSI (server-side-include) statements. Results shown using the &lt;script> tag are not spiderable since search engine spiders do not "run" Javascript -- this applies to any script, not just amazon.pl.

To prevent server overload (typically caused by excessive spidering), amazon.pl monitors the server's 1-minute load average (as reported by the linux/unix uptime command). The maxload configuration variable acts like a fuse and specifies the maximum load allowed before amazon.pl shuts down and simply reports a "Server is too busy" error message. Default of maxload is 50. (Note: maxload only works on linux/unix servers).

amazon.pl can save you time in that you no longer have to update your website to show the latest products. And you can use amazon.pl to show much more products than is possible by hand. For example, here's all of amazon.com's DVD's section on my website: DVD's. And by setting up a results template and a few HTML files you can quickly create a topic specific website, such as Palmables.com which deals with palm computers (that webmaster used two SSI's on each page; thus everything is spiderable). These webpages automatically show the latest top selling products.

Similarly, the other "store generator" scripts such as allposters.pl and gocollect.pl are intented to save you time by making it possible for you to quickly and easily add many products to your website (e.g.: gocollect.pl typically creates up to about 20,000 to 30,000 product pages depending upon what is in the current datafeed and upon what you've set in your gocollect.pl configuration).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Okay, it looks like they are spiderable. BUT the big question is whether pages with these long URL's are actually getting decent rankings.

I have been building static pages with SSI to pull in the content. The upside is they do get indexed and ranked well, the downside is that they load slow.

So, all of you using script generated pages, how well are they getting RANKED?

Thanks for sharing

Burke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bsnrjones:
    So, all of you using script generated pages, how well are they getting RANKED?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure that can be accurately answered. Unless you have 2 pages identical in every respect, but with different URLs, I don't see how you can isolate the influence of the URL.

I guess in my case, the answer would have to be "well enough"

Are you Crazy?

I just reviewd my log files. On a brand new site I built using the Amazon.pl script Googlebot just came by and spidered 27 links - all ending in .html (with SSI for amazon content). I have not seen Googlebot pick up any of the "long" urls (like the one for "more"). It will be interesting to watch the next couple of months to see how deep it will actually go. From CrazyGuy's experience it would seem Googlebot will go all the way thru the site.

This is a great tool, I am looking forward to building many more sites with it!

I'm not sure you will see the long URLs in your logs.

Depending on how your logs are set up, anything other than htm html shtml extensions may appear as hits on "files" rather than "pages" - and I don't think I've ever seen a script+parameters entry as a URL in a logfile.

... but your setup/mileage may vary.

Are you Crazy?

Your right...I just looked at my raw log files and the longer URLS's do show up in there, but in my Stat software, it appears they all are reported as hits to the amazon.pl file.

Even in the raw logs I could not see any sign of Googlebot spidering the dynamic pages, but I will just sit tight until the "dance" to see where they end up!

Great discussion.....

Burke

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread